PDA

View Full Version : Did Fly Cause this Pain?

FireRox21
October 16th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I seemed to have severely strained my left trapezious, levator scapulous, and Rhomboid muscle in my back. I have been crying from the pain. Ice, DMARDs, and massage are just not helping. I don't do much butterfly in the pool, and when I do, it is usually towards the end of my workout and I am completely stretched and warmed up. Is this a common area to injure from butterfly? Any tips to get over this a little quicker? So far, the only way to relieve some pain is to put my arm over my head and rest it there.

Help? I hate having to stay out of the pool! :badday:

SolarEnergy
October 17th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Is this a common area to injure from butterfly? No absolutely not.

Of course, if you have few flaws related to your breathing mechanics then huge levels of pressure in this region may appear and translate into an injury.

My former boss used to say - about this sort of injury - those injuries that appear real quickly like this without any apparent trauma typically go away as rapidly as they appeared.

Some stretching should help. In order to avoid this, if you do have few flaws related to breathing mechanics, you'll have to settle this.

Hope this helps

spell_me
October 17th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I agree with SolarEnergy above. Also, do you do weights? Weight training can go a long way to help prevent shoulder problems in the pool! It's made a huge difference for me in a short time.

sydned
October 17th, 2009, 04:40 PM
This happened to me two years ago. I was in horrible pain, eventually needing physical therapy. I used ART, massage, PT--you name it.
It was sudden onset, but agonizing. I still get twinges every once in a while.

I would say that you should stick with some kick sets for a bit, and give your body time. It was awful, and i was miserable, but it did get better. That area is so hard to get to, all of my practitioners had trouble getting their hands in there.

I so empathize. No fun!
Good luck!!

FireRox21
October 18th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I've had all weekend to rest and it has gotten just a little better. It is still pretty agonizing to hold my head up. I've done the massage, a little heat, and ice. Now, I'm going to work with gentle stretches.

I'm getting back in the pool tomorrow. Kicksets and ab work only. A little water time is better than none. I'm just impatient!!!

I don't do weight training as I have rheumatoid arthritis and my wrists and elbows are fused. Weights are too rough on my joints and bones, but I do use the pool weights (those foam dumb bells that the noodles use) to do basic arm, back, and chest work. I'm just going to take it easy and hope this goes away soon.

Thanks for the advice!! :)

sanwin
November 6th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I too have had shoulder injuries over the years, the mistake I made was just to ignore the pain. Now I maintain shoulder strength by weight training in the gym and keep my shoulders flexible by pilates.