PDA

View Full Version : which side you are riding on after flip turn

lehe
October 17th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Lately I have been noticing one of my problems is that I can only push off on my right side not the left. Here I'd like to go into some details about my flip turns:

1. during the turn when I fold my upper body and right before I move my legs, I find that I am facing a little towards my right, which might cause me only able to turn to my right. I try to face a little to my left but fail, neither can I flip completely straight on my back as someone mentioned earlier.

2. from the swimming videos I have watched, it seems like for most but not all swimmers, the side to push off on coincides with the arm that does the last stroke. This seems reasonable and perhaps a natural choice, since when you push the water you also rotate your body a little to the same side. But for me even the left arm does the last stroke, I still subconsciously turn to my right. Also if one can flip straight, the last stroke can be irrelevant to which side to push off on, right?

3. another thing that I believe can also affect the side problem is the movement of the two arms when the legs move to the wall. I have seen those hands move asymmetrically above the head on the videos, but I just don't catch the idea of utilizing my arms to make me turn to the left.

4. when circular swimming along the right side of the lane, is there some swimming etiquette suggesting which side I need to push off on?

So that's my feeling and questions so far. Really appreciate it if you have tips or advice to share.

Rykno
October 18th, 2009, 12:47 AM
i turn to my left with every stroke: free, back, breast and fly.

most people i swim with have their side. don't know of anyone that actively turns both ways

Allen Stark
October 18th, 2009, 10:31 AM
When you had to touch the wall with your hands in backstroke it was important to be able to turn either way.Since that rule change I don't see why you would need turn to both sides in any stroke.The flip should be initiated with both arms to the side.