PDA

View Full Version : 100 Free breathing

MAC swimmer
October 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Questions for SCY:

1. How many breaths down after the dive? Or do you simply hold your breath?

2. If you hold your breath, do you blow it all out quickly before you breath or empty your lungs slowly?

3. Should you have a pattern for breathing or simply grit your teeth and gut it out?

4. (unrelated to breathing). Negative split--how important is it in this race? Should it be emphasized?

Calvin S
October 19th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I don't think negative splitting should ever be emphasized. As for breathing, I was always taught that you should breathe regularly, as in every 3 (my preferance) or every 4/5 or some combination of those three. There is also the all important "don't breathe in and out of your turn or inside the flags at the end of the race.

Speedo
October 19th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Questions for SCY:

2. If you hold your breath, do you blow it all out quickly before you breath or empty your lungs slowly?

3. Should you have a pattern for breathing or simply grit your teeth and gut it out?

4. (unrelated to breathing). Negative split--how important is it in this race? Should it be emphasized?
Me personally:
1) first breath is 3rd stroke off of the block
2) slowly
3) pattern- breathing to same side I use breathe 2 down 1, only gut it out and don't breathe for the last 10m
4) you probably shouldn't be negative splitting a 100

ande
October 19th, 2009, 05:02 PM
1. How many breaths down after the dive?
Or do you simply hold your breath?
~~~> not sure what you're asking here?
How many breaths on your first 25 of a the 100?
depends
how fast are you?
what's your 100 time?
how many strokes do you take per 25?

blow it out
suck it in

you should have a breathing plan for each race
don't restrict air for 100's & up

you don't want to negative split the 100, you'll give up too much on the first 50
the best swimmers have a 1.5 - 2.0 sec diff
LCM 1.5 - 2.5 is common
go fast the first 50 but have something left to get home FAST

Doug Adamavich
October 19th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I asked Jason Lezak that question last fall because I noticed that he breathed every stroke during his 100M Free. His words "If you don't breathe every stroke you will die like a dog." So I've been doing the same when I do fast 100s and it helps. Guess Jason knew what he was talking about :)

pwb
October 19th, 2009, 06:00 PM
My answers:

I do 4 single arm strokes. I breathe to my left on a sprint on the 1st lap and pull down with my left arm first off the start and turn.

I have no clue.

In theory, I have a solid pattern. In reality, that pattern works through about 65 yards of the race and then all hell breaks loose.

Never negative split a 100. I did it this weekend on the 100 backstroke and am still kicking myself for how slow I went out. I don't think negative splitting should come into play for race strategy until distances of 400/500 & above.

Glenn
October 19th, 2009, 06:15 PM
99% of swimmers will tell you NOT to negative split a 100. However, it works for me.

The concept I use is to "throttle back" the first 50, than build quickly from there.

I am a middle distance swimmer and find that negative splitting or even splitting works for me in the 500/400 free. If I go out too fast, it's over.

But it also works for me in the 100. The only USMS national championship I have won was in the 100 free in Federal Way on '07. The splits were 27.12 and 27.19. At this years LC Nats in Indianapolis I tried to swim the 100 by going hard the entire way. I got into acidosis with about 20 meters to go and faded to third. I wouldn't have won the race, but I certainly should have gotten second had I swum it as a negative split.

I also do not swim the 50 all out from the get go. I swim it as a build and have had good success.

This will probably not work for most people but it does for me.

MAC swimmer
October 19th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Thanks folks. This helps. I see all kinds of breathing patterns in the 100 and then a totally different pattern for the 50. Probably the different for the 200 as well.

pwb
October 19th, 2009, 06:59 PM
The concept I use is to "throttle back" the first 50, than build quickly from there.

I'm totally on board with this approach and it's how I try to "feel" in a 100, but it doesn't end up resulting in a negative split. I generally try to build the entire 100. I swam the 100 this weekend (SCM) with this "feel" and still split 25.9 - 27.2.

Full disclosure: I'm a former distance swimmer aiming to be a 200/500 guy. Real sprinters who go real fast will likely tell you something different.

thewookiee
October 19th, 2009, 07:38 PM
My answers:

Never negative split a 100. I did it this weekend on the 100 backstroke and am still kicking myself for how slow I went out. I don't think negative splitting should come into play for race strategy until distances of 400/500 & above.

Word! I did the same thing. I am a 200 guy. I can't seem to get up and get going the 1st 50 of the 100 back(my splits prove that one) If I try to "throttle back" on the first 50, I usually do a negative split on the 100 back.

Learning to be more aggressive, without being totally out of control is a key. Go out fast, but don't think of holding back enough to negative split.

ehoch
October 19th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I get this asked quite a bit from my swimmers - and I believe most swimmers do this wrong.

Questions for SCY:

Most swimmers do not breathe enough on the first 25 -- just use your normal breathing pattern - otherwise, you will pay the price. This is even more important for Masters swimmers comapred to the Elite - Lezak's race is 40 seconds - many Masters swimmers don't break a minute...

If you still have to think about this, you need more race practice in workouts...

The people who gut it out, usually die on the last 25 (or 50)

NEVER NEVER NEVER in a 100 - the people who think they need to do this need more sprint training. I saw Rowdy's 100 split from last weekend - 25.38 and coming home in 26.23 - that's a negative split. I call that a feel good swim. BUT - his 50 time was 23.28 - he went 2 seconds slower than his 50. He can probably do a 51 low, if he goes out faster.

nandestafney
October 19th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Greetings!

O2 requirements, and breathing patterns, are different for each individual. Size, sex, age, conditioning, health history, and an individual's physiology make it impossible to prescribe a cookie cutter racing strategy for everyone. Practice different patterns. If it doesn't work for you, try something else.

SolarEnergy
October 19th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks folks. This helps. I see all kinds of breathing patterns in the 100 and then a totally different pattern for the 50. Probably the different for the 200 as well.

- A 100 Free has a large aerobic component to it. Breathe regularly, most would do better by breathing every two. That includes the first 25m. On the last 25, if you feel you can do it, hold few breathe cycles (if you can handle the heavy o2 accumulated deficit at this point)

- A 50 Free is totally different. For that one you can have a much more restrictive breathing strategy (e.g. 4 breathe on 1th 25, as little as possible on the way back).

- I personally hold my breath and blow it all out at the last second before breathing in. But that's a personal thing. I do that for the increase buoyancy. But again, that's me.

- Negative split on a 100 suggest that you were too conservative on the first 50m. Maybe one exception: Backstroke (because of the dive)