PDA

View Full Version : Help on suits

geo123
October 21st, 2009, 02:54 AM
Guys i am new in the forum and i have got very little idea about the new swimsuits and i am really confused about them. so i want to ask a few questions about them. Is polyurethane and polyamide the same material ? I wore a jammer which contained 80% polyamide and 20% elastene and then I saw that the speedo LZR contains 75% polyamide and 25% elastene. It is really confusing cause is it the polyamide that is making LZR so fast ? If so then the thing that i am wearing, will it be banned too ? are all the suits containing polyamide will be banned ? Please answer my questions......................................... .............

Calvin S
October 21st, 2009, 10:20 AM
Guys i am new in the forum and i have got very little idea about the new swimsuits and i am really confused about them. so i want to ask a few questions about them. Is polyurethane and polyamide the same material ? I wore a jammer which contained 80% polyamide and 20% elastene and then I saw that the speedo LZR contains 75% polyamide and 25% elastene. It is really confusing cause is it the polyamide that is making LZR so fast ? If so then the thing that i am wearing, will it be banned too ? are all the suits containing polyamide will be banned ? Please answer my questions......................................... .............

first off, it is important to know that NOTHING has been banned fo rmasters...yet. as for what made the LZR fast, it was the polyurethane panels (the grey patches) on the suit strategically placed at points where scientific evidence showed the most "drag" to occur when a swimmer glided through the water. if you want to be proactive in wearing "legal" suits for upcoming masters events, just go to FINA.org and look at their list of approved suits, as if FINA Masters bans the suits, and USMS follows suit (which I am sure they will) then the list of approved suits will probably be the one FINA has out at the moment (this list being subject to change...i.e. B70 has yet to release its new suit model, as have other companies). As for polyamide being banned, I am not as familiar with that material (or at least it wasnt thrown around as much in the suit debates as polyurethane). But if it is a textile, it may remain legal for suit material. however, if it is another synthetic like polyurethane, than it too will be a banned substance. hope some of this answered your questions.

Dolphin 2
October 21st, 2009, 11:08 AM
Hi G123
To take away any confusion you might have about the new suits, here's a simple explanation.

All the so called "tech suits" are basically a girdle or a corsett which is intened to compresse the swimmer's body into a smaller form.

The only difference between Playtex girdle and the tech suits made by Speedo, Nike, Arena, etc. is the materials used in them --------- and the price tag!!! :bump:

D2

ande
October 21st, 2009, 11:26 AM
as of 10/01/2009 United States Swimming banned sull body suits & suits with non permeable fabrics.
Men can wear Jammers. Women can wear kneeskins with no zipper.
here's the USA swimming list of Approved suits (http://tr.im/suitlistrule1029)

FINA's ban begins 01/01/2010
Right now the effective rules are FINAs from June 19th (http://tr.im/fina06192009)

MASTERS FINA & USMS are currently following the June 19th Suit rules (http://tr.im/fina06192009). They have not announced what the new rules will be or when the new rules begin. Rule changes will happen. They might exactly match FINA & USA swimming, but there could be differences.
U.S. Masters Swimming issued a Statement on Swimsuits on 10/11/09 (http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4229&page=65)

swimming

Ripple
October 21st, 2009, 11:38 AM
Polyamide is just a polyester fiber, similar to the PBT fiber found in Chloroban suits. It has a little more stretch and recovery than regular polyester fiber. The "recovery" part is the most important thing for swimwear, otherwise you might find the suit growing larger and larger in the water as you swam.
Elastane is just a generic name for the same synthetic rubber that gives Lycra and Spandex it's stretchiness.
Polyurethane is a synthetic rubbery coating added to fabric after the fact.

geo123
October 22nd, 2009, 04:14 AM
so polyamide and elastene are absolutely ok then ?????

Ripple
October 22nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
As long as they're in the form of knit or woven fabric... yes.