PDA

View Full Version : At first they took away are B70's, now hair dye what next?

Ken Classen
October 21st, 2009, 01:39 PM
Pouring cold water on fashionista swimmers

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091021/od_nm/us_japan_ban

thewookiee
October 21st, 2009, 01:43 PM
Pouring cold water on fashionista swimmers

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091021/od_nm/us_japan_ban

Geez. Cutting out suits is one thing. Trying to make everyone confirm and look similar is a totally drastic step to control a countries athletes.

aquageek
October 21st, 2009, 01:55 PM
I wish USA Track and Field would adopt this policy.

pwb
October 21st, 2009, 02:07 PM
I guess me getting the "old guy turns 50 & gets a diamond stud earring & gold chains" plan might be out of the question when USMS follows suit after FINA accepts a global recommendation from the Japanese federation.

BillS
October 21st, 2009, 03:51 PM
Male and female swimmers caught sneaking into each others rooms at Japanese training camp, where the sexes have separate sleeping quarters, will also find themselves in hot water.

"The United States and Australia are also setting these criteria," the Japan Swimming Federation's executive director Masafumi Izumi told local media Wednesday.

We have enough problems recruiting and keeping talented young swimmers in the US as it is. If we ban room-sneaking, can we really expect to hang onto the best and the brightest, or will they abandon ship for sports without hall monitors? Please don't share, but I'm sure there are many happy memories of various swimming-related dalliances and amorous liaisons floating around out there.

stillwater
October 21st, 2009, 06:50 PM
I'm sure there are many happy memories of various swimming-related dalliances and amorous liaisons floating around out there.

Yes there are.

Fond memories indeed.

gigi
October 21st, 2009, 07:18 PM
1 - very very fond indeed!

2 - if it's good-bye hair dye it's sayonara masters' swim for this little lady - only my hair-dresser knows for sure, but...

Faded_Memories
October 22nd, 2009, 01:53 AM
Seeing how homogenous Japan is, I can't say I'm surprised.

However, expecting the 'west' to adopt it? Gyaahh.

I occasionally wear neon pink nail polish. I find it is especially fun at the poker tables, and I can see it being useful as a tool to mess with the heads of competitors at a meet or something. But offensive enough to ban? Get real.

I guarantee you could spot me quickly in a crowded pool with the hot pink nails. "Um, its for coach. Slow eyes or something. Yeah...."

-eric

funkyfish
October 22nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Is this something that is in effect for USA-S meets? I remember at many high school state championships swimmers dying their hair, getting mohawks and other odd hairstyles, etc., but didn't/don't know what the age group swimmers had/have to conform to. Seems a bit socially rigid to me, but I'm a slacker US citizen.
:bliss: