PDA

View Full Version : Talk About Impact of Techsuit Ban Going Forward

ande
October 22nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
Garrett McCaffrey, Georgia Tech's Chris DeSantis
Talk About Impact of Techsuit Ban Going Forward (http://tr.im/splittime091021)

I'm going to have my jammer on.
If anyone wants to put a jammer on, feel free.
I'm getting ready for where the sport is going.
If I'm going to be wearing this for the next three years,
I'm going to start now.
- Michael Phelps

phelps comment on suits (http://tr.im/phelpssuits)

The Fortress
October 22nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Ugh. Another "moral victory" comment.

MP, with endorsements galore, has less to lose than the other World Cup athletes. Easy for him to say, and I don't think he should get any kudos for it.

rodon
October 22nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
I know this is an old story but…

Mr phelps sanctimony it hard to take when considering he did not have trouble racing with the LZR in Bejing, when there were a lot of other swimmers struggling get similar suits.
Now that his sponsor does not make the fastest suit, big M looks forward to going backwards to swimming in the jammer.

Chris Stevenson
October 22nd, 2009, 05:22 PM
MP, with endorsements galore, has less to lose than the other World Cup athletes. Easy for him to say, and I don't think he should get any kudos for it.

Agreed; the Garrett video (which I found interesting) says as much. They seem to like MP being controversial -- ie, showing some personality. I think the lap dances and bong hits already show plenty of personality, though.

It is likely that I'll wear jammers at my SCM taper meet but don't hold your breath waiting for me to exhort others to do the same.

(However, in the likely event that Mr. Ross thrashes me at NE LMSC Champs, I am fully prepared to blame the tech suits. Even if he doesn't wear one.)

The Fortress
October 22nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
(However, in the likely event that Mr. Ross thrashes me at NE LMSC Champs, I am fully prepared to blame the tech suits. Even if he doesn't wear one.)

I bet he will!

I hated this sentence as well: "Though he didn’t name names, he likely had Paul Biedermann in mind. The German swimmer beat Phelps in the 200-meters in July while wearing a high-tech suit."

It makes it sound like Phelps wasn't wearing a "high tech" suit. Gee, what is the LZR?

Sanctimony does not equal personality.

orca1946
October 22nd, 2009, 07:03 PM
LOWER tech ?! OK ,I already purchased a new jammer for this season. Do they make a HIGH TECH jammer ?

Calvin S
October 22nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
It makes it sound like Phelps wasn't wearing a "high tech" suit. Gee, what is the LZR?

there was an article in i want to say the washington post right after the phelps/cavic showdown at worlds in which the writer basically boiled the race down to a david v. goliath story. here was cavic, the big bad smack talker with his high tech 100% polyurethane suit and poor little phelps, dwarfed by cavic and is tech suit, wearing a puny lzr.

i about gagged

knelson
October 23rd, 2009, 01:56 AM
LOWER tech ?! OK ,I already purchased a new jammer for this season. Do they make a HIGH TECH jammer ?

I think I heard Speedo is coming out with a new LZR model that will be legal.

waves101
October 23rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Yes, Speedo has already rec'd approval for the new LZR something (they added a word). It'll be compliant with all 2010 rules.

aquageek
October 23rd, 2009, 08:27 AM
Yes, Speedo has already rec'd approval for the new LZR something (they added a word). It'll be compliant with all 2010 rules.

I read Speedo's press release and the new model is called "LZR Backwards."

Allen Stark
October 23rd, 2009, 11:23 AM
I read Speedo's press release and the new model is called "LZR Backwards."

The RZL?

hofffam
October 23rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
I know this is an old story but…

Mr phelps sanctimony it hard to take when considering he did not have trouble racing with the LZR in Bejing, when there were a lot of other swimmers struggling get similar suits.
Now that his sponsor does not make the fastest suit, big M looks forward to going backwards to swimming in the jammer.

This is BS. No one in Beijing suffered for suits. Everyone in finals had a LZR, Tracer, B70, etc. Several country teams like Germany whined before Beijing that their Adidas suits were a handicap.

Anyone watching the Olympics also saw MP race many times in a jammer or legskin instead of the fully body.

hofffam
October 23rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
I bet he will!

I hated this sentence as well: "Though he didn’t name names, he likely had Paul Biedermann in mind. The German swimmer beat Phelps in the 200-meters in July while wearing a high-tech suit."

Sanctimony does not equal personality.

The writer of the article thought MP was talking about Biedermann. I read Phelps' comment as a broad one. He only raced Biedermann in one event. I don't know what Phelps will race in the Word Cup but I assume it will include fly, free, and maybe 200 IM. I think he is challenging all of his opponents, not just Biedermann.

swimbody
October 27th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I agree with Dan here as well. The alluding comment towards Biedermann was the own writer's fantasy I believe. I'm glad ole Phelps is starting now and not waiting until January. November should be interesting.

qbrain
October 27th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I think the lap dances and bong hits already show plenty of personality, though.

Someone who is stoned has a personality?

scyfreestyler
October 27th, 2009, 12:54 PM

Stoned, not dead.

beluga
October 27th, 2009, 01:09 PM

Ever been to a Grateful Dead concert? :applaud:

funkyfish
October 27th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Agreed; the Garrett video (which I found interesting) says as much. They seem to like MP being controversial -- ie, showing some personality. I think the lap dances and bong hits already show plenty of personality, though.
I knew I was going to the wrong swim meets…no fair.
:banana: