PDA

View Full Version : Best value LMSC in 2010?

Frosty
October 23rd, 2009, 07:11 PM
Greetings! I am considering renewing my USMS membership in 2010 in the least expensive way, and want to see which LMSC(s) will have the lowest registration cost as the new registration year begins. In 2009, I think that two or three LMSCs were at $30, with the national average near $40.

In case you wonder why I ask:
- I don’t require USMS registration where I swim.
- I only do one USMS-sanctioned event per year, the Trans Tahoe Relay, and it is outside the LMSC where I currently reside. (Note: TTR does not offer one-event registration, but it also does not require teammates to be registered with the same USMS club or LMSC.)
- I don’t have a need for, or derive, any benefits from the LMSC where I live, Southern Pacific. I “donated” to SPMA this year at $40. (It would be $42 in 2010.) Perhaps there is an LMSC with less overhead and a greater need that I can “donate” to this year.
- Registering with TTR’s host LMSC, Pacific (at $40 or more) wouldn’t help make the TTR a better event, since Pacific does not provide any support beyond the services paid for in the sanctioning fee. (Now...if you DID offer OEVT, I'd probably show you the money.)
- Some of my TTR teammates might have similar circumstances, and we could register together with the same (best value) LMSC.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
October 24th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I can't quite tell which is worse - the fat barney or your post... but they are both making me feel sick to my stomach!

Frosty
October 28th, 2009, 02:31 PM
As a related thing, are any LMSCs out there offering age-based discounts (e.g. age 65 or over, age 24 or under) off-line or on-line?

Frosty
October 29th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I can't quite tell which is worse - the fat barney or your post... but they are both making me feel sick to my stomach!

It's my boyish figure, because I can't imagine that you are upset at the color of my purple skin.

Doug Adamavich
October 29th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Price vs. Value, two different things.

There are inexpensive LMSCs that don't do squat for their members
There are inexpensive LMSCs that do a lot for their members
There are more expensive LMSCs that don't do squat for their members
There are more expensive LMSCs that do a lot for their members

The thing is, USMS membership is relatively inexpensive. Compared to a bike, running shoes, or other sports gear...it's cheap. Value though is a bit more difficult to determine.

Look at it another way though, if you support the sport of swimming and believe that aquatics fitness for adults is a good thing...its worth joining. People go to a particular church, join a given political party, work for causes, belong to civic organizations, pay to be in professional associations, etc. because they BELIEVE in the values that organization represents. Benefits, discounts, and the rest are nice but in the end you give your money and time to causes that are in alignment with your values.

My LMSC's fees are $42 this year, that is $3.50 per month or two cans of Rockstar Zero. I switched over to Green Tea and was able to pay for this with the savings.

Just my thoughts though...