PDA

View Full Version : Your swimsuit material?

ddl
October 27th, 2009, 12:26 AM
From my experience and what I've heard, generally polyester swimsuits seem to last much longer than nylon ones. I had one 100% polyester which has lasted for some 10 months with almost daily swimming and is still in perfect shape. However nylon+spandex, though shorter lived, feels much more comfortable, more stretchy and easy to swim with (I think most competitive/racing suit are nylon blend, not polyester). So it seems each has its own advantage.

Also interested but not in poll questions: is your suit chlorine resistant or has sun/UV protection? Thanks :)

swimshark
October 27th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I buy EQ suits (http://www.eqswimwear.com/) in their lycra and rotate through 3 at a time through 4 practices a week. I never rinse them nor wash them and they last a minimum of 9 months. I have one that is over 2 years old and the lining just ripped but the suit is still in great shape and I'll still wear it. I buy the suits when they have their grab bag sale of buy 2 get one free so they come out to be about $17 each for women's. A great deal for great suits.

spell_me
October 27th, 2009, 07:34 AM
My current suit (all polyester) is on its 7th month and has a long way to go, although the lining has ripped. My last 2 suits were nylon/lycra and only lasted 6 to 8 weeks!! The second one was supposedly chlorine resistant, but I think the only way around the chlorine issue is polyester. So I'm sticking with polyester from now on, even though I got some really nasty chafing from my current suit when it was new.

Calvin S
October 27th, 2009, 08:09 AM
ill have to check the material, but i just wear a drag suit in practice and it the same one I goton my first day of practice my freshman year of college. six years later it is still fine. (the material is whatever those speedo mesh drag suits are made out of, since thats the brand and type)

Bobinator
October 27th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I like Dolphin "Ugly" suits. I don't think I've ever wore one out; I just get sick of them and throw them away after a year or so. I always give them a quick cold water rinse and hang them dry. They never fade much or wear out. I like their cut for master's swimmers...modest.

Thrashing Slug
October 27th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Polyester is the best! :applaud: I've got a Nike polyester brief and a speedo polyester mesh dragsuit. Both are from last year and show no signs of failing any time soon. 3 to 4 days a week of swimming.

qbrain
October 27th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I have two 100% poly suits with lining. One is 7 years old and the lining is starting to fray. They are both black and are still black. I think they are DJ Sports brand.

ddl
October 27th, 2009, 11:24 PM
rotate through 3 at a time through 4 practices a week. I never rinse them nor wash them and they last a minimum of 9 months.

If you rotate among 3 suits, that would mean a minimum of 3 months each suit :rolleyes:

Allen Stark
October 27th, 2009, 11:55 PM
What,no polyurethane.

orca1946
October 28th, 2009, 12:19 AM
At 63 ,I need all the support I can purchase !!

ddl
October 28th, 2009, 12:37 AM
What,no polyurethane.

"Other" :rolleyes:

Most in the poll seem to have lined swimsuit. I've heard that most competitive swimsuits don't have lining, for optimal performance.

aztimm
October 28th, 2009, 01:14 AM
When I was in Portland earlier this year, I picked up 2 poly blend suits at Portland Swim Shop, one maroon and one navy.

I've primarily worn the maroon one, at almost every workout since. That's about 6 months, at 5x a week. It shows no sign of wear.

I wear a poly mesh drag suit over my normal suit. I bought 2 about 3 years ago from Keifer. The first just got so thin it practically disintegrated earlier this year, so I started on the other. Most of the guys on my team wear a drag suit.

swimshark
October 28th, 2009, 07:15 AM
If you rotate among 3 suits, that would mean a minimum of 3 months each suit :rolleyes:

Nope, I get 9 months, minimum, per suit. I'm on month 5 of the latest suits and they are in perfect shape. You can't tell they are 5 month old lycra suits at all.

Georgio
October 28th, 2009, 10:26 AM
A couple of us are getting very good service from this suit::banana:

http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3107140&page=2&cp=3124322.3124332.3124359.3608458

ddl
October 28th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Nope, I get 9 months, minimum, per suit. I'm on month 5 of the latest suits and they are in perfect shape. You can't tell they are 5 month old lycra suits at all.

What I meant was, in those 9 months, for only about 3 months you used one particular suit :D. This reminds of something I heard about shoes, that if you alternate two pairs of shoes, they would last longer than if you wear one every day until it's worn out, then wear the other. So if you wear one pair every day, and it gets worn out in 5 months, then the other pair every day for another 5 months when it's worn out, you get a total of 10 months; it's said that you could get more than 10 months if you alternate the two pairs (like you rotate among 3 suits). I wonder if that's true, and why.

gigi
October 28th, 2009, 04:27 PM
What I meant was, in those 9 months, for only about 3 months you used one particular suit :D. This reminds of something I heard about shoes, that if you alternate two pairs of shoes, they would last longer than if you wear one every day until it's worn out, then wear the other. So if you wear one pair every day, and it gets worn out in 5 months, then the other pair every day for another 5 months when it's worn out, you get a total of 10 months; it's said that you could get more than 10 months if you alternate the two pairs (like you rotate among 3 suits). I wonder if that's true, and why.

I've heard that too as it related to running shoes and I always wondered why that would be true. It just didn't make sense. Then someone told me that shoes used every day (for running anyway) don't fully dry within 24 hours and running in shoes when they're wet weakens the fibers in the upper or something AND it takes the cushy stuff in the soles more than 24 hours to recover from the compression that occurs during a run. So a cushion recovery/drying out day makes the shoes last longer.

Though it's possible that the guy was just trying to sell me another pair of shoes....

swimshark
October 29th, 2009, 06:04 AM
What I meant was, in those 9 months, for only about 3 months you used one particular suit :D.

I see. But I actually wear them more than once a week since I swim 4 times a week and I only have 3 suits. Plus there are times I'm swimming 5 days. So they are getting more than 3 months usage. And when I've had one at a time, it still lasted 9 months.