PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary '09 LCM TopTen

Glenn
November 2nd, 2009, 12:02 AM
http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/toptenlist.php:applaud:

The Fortress
November 2nd, 2009, 12:56 AM
Once again, I have times missing ... and in the two hardest events I swim.
:badday:

I hope this can be fixed, as I was explicitly assured in writing (just like last time) that they would be submitted.

Betsy
November 2nd, 2009, 02:34 AM
Fortress,
What meets did you swim that were not submitted?

tjrpatt
November 2nd, 2009, 07:47 AM

I hope this can be fixed, as I was explicitly assured in writing (just like last time) that they would be submitted.

You mean your 100 fly and 200 back. I know that PV Junior Champs was in the results database.

The Fortress
November 2nd, 2009, 08:34 AM
Fortress,
What meets did you swim that were not submitted?

I swam the 200 back and 100 fly in these two USA meets that were in the events results database.

7 Livingston, Leslie C 48 2:47.34 UNAT Swim Like a Fish - Masters Only

4 Livingston, Leslie C 48 1:12.52 ABM PVS Junior Champs - USA Masters only

At the time, my membership had been switched to ABM/IL for Nationals. Jeff Roddin of PV told me to contact that IL TT chair and I did. I gave him my times and links to the meet results and he promised they would be submitted along with my other IL results.

This seems to happen frequently to me ...

I hope they can still be submitted or that there was some inadvertent/ministerial error. The 100 fly might be a FINA ranking too.

tjrpatt
November 2nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
I swam in these two USA meets that were in the events results database.

7 Livingston, Leslie C 48 2:47.34 UNAT Swim Like a Fish - Masters Only

4 Livingston, Leslie C 48 1:12.52 ABM PVS Junior Champs - USA Masters only

At the time, my membership had been switched to ABM/IL for Nationals. Jeff Roddin of PV told me to contact that IL TT chair and I did. I gave him my times and links to the meet results and he promised they would be submitted along with my other IL results.

This seems to happen frequently to me ...

I hope they can still be submitted or that there was some inadvertent/ministerial error. I know meets were submitted late and accepted for SCY. The 100 fly might be a FINA ranking too.

I was under the impression that it would be PV responsibilities since the meet was in the PV LMSC, not IL LMSC. Just checked the procedures again, maybe it is the IL LMSC responsibility.

The Fortress
November 2nd, 2009, 09:23 AM
I was under the impression that it would be PV responsibilities since the meet was in the PV LMSC, not IL LMSC. Just checked the procedures again, maybe it is the IL LMSC responsibility.

Jeff told me it would be the responsibility of the IL TT chair since I was registered with ABM when the swims occurred. I've sent him an email, as has my ABM coach.

qbrain
November 2nd, 2009, 09:54 AM
Sorry Fort, we have you, who deserves a top ten time by swimming fast not on some lists, and then we have no-talent ***hat's, swimming slow and gaming the system to make the top 10 in the Men's 30-34 1500M. Sad.

ande
November 2nd, 2009, 10:14 AM
you can look up your top 10's at:
http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/toptensearch.php

pwolf66
November 2nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
Once again proving unable to make the list on my own, I have relied on 3 other excellent swimmers to carry me.

Congrats to the smoking fast girls of THT/ABM.

200 Freestyle Relay LCM Women 120-159 (2009) # Team LMSC Swimmers (age) Time 1 ABM Illinois Leslie C Livingston (48)
Lida B Kuehn (46)
Michelle C Kagy-Schwartz (34)
Megan C Garland (23) 1:54.9

tjrpatt
November 2nd, 2009, 10:37 AM
Once again proving unable to make the list on my own, I have relied on 3 other excellent swimmers to carry me.

Congrats to the smoking fast girls of THT/ABM.

200 Freestyle Relay LCM Women 120-159 (2009) # Team LMSC Swimmers (age) Time 1 ABM Illinois Leslie C Livingston (48)
Lida B Kuehn (46)
Michelle C Kagy-Schwartz (34)
Megan C Garland (23) 1:54.9

Paul,
Maybe you need to come out of your 200 fly hiatus!!!! :)

pwolf66
November 2nd, 2009, 10:37 AM
Sorry Fort, we have you, who deserves a top ten time by swimming fast not on some lists, and then we have no-talent ***hat's, swimming slow and gaming the system to make the top 10 in the Men's 30-34 1500M. Sad.

Sorry, not buying that. You swam it, they didn't. Your time kicks the ever living crap out of me right now.

Chris Stevenson
November 2nd, 2009, 10:39 AM

Jeff told me it would be the responsibility of the IL TT chair since I was registered with ABM when the swims occurred. I've sent him an email, as has my ABM coach.

Well, you are both correct in a way. The LMSC Handbook states:

"Each LMSC is responsible for the meets held in its area, including Zone meets. Meet directors send meet results to the LMSC Top Ten Recorder. The meet director also submits applications for USMS/World records to the USMS Records Administrator.

Swimmers are responsible for submitting their times from FINA meets outside the U.S., and from USA swim meets to their LMSC Top Ten Recorder along with documentation if necessary."

So for USMS meets, it is the location of the meet not the membership of the swimmer that counts. But for USA-S and foreign meets, it is the responsibility of the swimmer to notify the Top Ten recorder in his/her LMSC of the times and provide verification, and the TTR then submits the times.

So I guess maybe Fort will be boycotting another LMSC...? :) (There is still time for corrections, that's why this is a *preliminary* TT list. Hopefully things will get straightened out.)

Take-home lesson: JR is always right. And if you switch membership away from his LMSC, expect a downgrade in services... :)

The Fortress
November 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
But for USA-S and foreign meets, it is the responsibility of the swimmer to notify the Top Ten recorder in his/her LMSC of the times and provide verification, and the TTR then submits the times.

So I guess maybe Fort will be boycotting another LMSC...? :) (There is still time for corrections, that's why this is a *preliminary* TT list. Hopefully things will get straightened out.)

That's exactly the procedure I followed. Don't you think swimmers have a right to expect times to count when they research and follow all the rules?

Very nice Q!

tjrpatt
November 2nd, 2009, 11:01 AM

Remember, alot of people in our age group took the summer off and you didn't, so you earned that TT ranking. :applaud:. Also, you are now a nationally ranked swimmer. Bravo.

chowmi
November 2nd, 2009, 11:42 AM

You EARNED IT, the clock does the talking for you! Congratulations!!! Whether it's a record setting All American time or those where you "squeak" in, who cares!! In the end, they are all lifetime achievement awards!! They are all great times and you should be proud of yourself!!

swimshark
November 2nd, 2009, 11:59 AM
You EARNED IT, the clock does the talking for you! Congratulations!!! Whether it's a record setting All American time or those where you "squeak" in, who cares!! In the end, they are all lifetime achievement awards!! They are all great times and you should be proud of yourself!!

I agree!!

I made it in the 400 IM with a horrible time and with only 1 good ankle so I swam fly 1 legged.

chowmi
November 2nd, 2009, 12:17 PM
I agree!!

I made it in the 400 IM with a horrible time and with only 1 good ankle so I swam fly 1 legged.

You're awesome! See, there is a story behind every swim! There are plenty of people out there with 2 good ankles who didn't swim the event!!!!

knelson
November 2nd, 2009, 12:20 PM

So are you saying you should have been DQed? :)

quicksilver
November 2nd, 2009, 12:53 PM

Not to worry. It's preliminary.

I doubt that the 45 year old in your age group went a 2:09 for the 200 meter back!

Your local TT person should be able to get it squared away. That's what they're there for.

swimshark
November 2nd, 2009, 01:42 PM
So are you saying you should have been DQed? :)

LOL! It was legal :angel:

Thank Michelle.

Allen Stark
November 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM
I had some swims that didn't make the preliminary list a few years ago.After some frantic emails to the LMSC and USMS TT people it got straightened out.Just send out positive vibes and it will work out.
PS Fort,congrats on your AA time in the 50 BK.

aztimm
November 2nd, 2009, 04:06 PM
you can look up your top 10's at:
http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/toptensearch.php

Just for ***ts & grins, I tried this out, for me. Shocked to see that I was a part of not 1, but 2 top 10 relays, way back in 1999. Who'd have pegged me for a top anything, certainly not I. Surely the rest of the relay carried me.

Thought I'd share and relish this, as now that I'm in the most competitive age group, it will never happen again.

Chris Stevenson
November 2nd, 2009, 07:04 PM
That's exactly the procedure I followed. Don't you think swimmers have a right to expect times to count when they research and follow all the rules?

Of course; I never meant to imply otherwise (or that you didn't follow the rules).

qbrain
November 2nd, 2009, 07:57 PM
Sorry, not buying that. You swam it, they didn't. Your time kicks the ever living crap out of me right now.

Very nice Q!

Remember, alot of people in our age group took the summer off and you didn't, so you earned that TT ranking. :applaud:. Also, you are now a nationally ranked swimmer. Bravo.

I agree!!

Thanks everyone.

SwimStud
November 2nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
Just for ***ts & grins, I tried this out, for me. Shocked to see that I was a part of not 1, but 2 top 10 relays, way back in 1999. Who'd have pegged me for a top anything, certainly not I. Surely the rest of the relay carried me.

Thought I'd share and relish this, as now that I'm in the most competitive age group, it will never happen again.

Tell me about it!...as if turning 40 isn't bad enough...

200 LCM BR last year...about 11th or 12th...this year...39th...
Mother Finner!

...I knew I should have gotten a b70...

The Fortress
November 2nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
Of course; I never meant to imply otherwise (or that you didn't follow the rules).

I know. Didn't mean to sound cross. I'm just getting a little paranoid/frustrated about my times not counting/disappearing after my travails of the last year ... Jeez.

Thanks Allen. It is very exciting to get the first individual AA. :) I almost thought it would never happen with KPN in my age group!

gigi
November 2nd, 2009, 09:42 PM
Well, I checked out the times in my age group and I have set a goal for myself. I'm keeping it under my hat for now...and I'm not that close, but I think it's do-able. Whether I make it or not, I've got a very identifiable target to shoot for.
Let the training begin!

knelson
November 2nd, 2009, 10:07 PM
As things stand now I've got the #1 time in the 800 free in 35-39 and I'm 26 seconds faster than the second place swimmer. I swam three events long course this summer and (so far) made TT in all three. Pretty cool! :banana:

Too bad I age up next year...

tjrpatt
November 2nd, 2009, 11:00 PM
As things stand now I've got the #1 time in the 800 free in 35-39 and I'm 26 seconds faster than the second place swimmer. I swam three events long course this summer and (so far) made TT in all three. Pretty cool! :banana:

Nice job!

Ahelee Sue Osborn
November 3rd, 2009, 12:50 AM
Thanks everyone.

You seem to have even earned respect all the way out here Q!

At workout tonight when I was talking about the kicking we were going to be doing, one swimmer told us, "That Q Guy from USMS says we don't have to kick anything over a 25!"

Congrats to you from the Night Nadadores!!

swimshark
November 3rd, 2009, 08:10 AM
Well, I checked out the times in my age group and I have set a goal for myself. I'm keeping it under my hat for now...and I'm not that close, but I think it's do-able. Whether I make it or not, I've got a very identifiable target to shoot for.
Let the training begin!

Good luck!

swimshark
November 3rd, 2009, 08:11 AM

Woo hoo!!

I can relate to the aging up. I do as well :badday:

qbrain
November 3rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
You seem to have even earned respect all the way out here Q!

At workout tonight when I was talking about the kicking we were going to be doing, one swimmer told us, "That Q Guy from USMS says we don't have to kick anything over a 25!"

Congrats to you from the Night Nadadores!!

Now, if people would only accurately remember my advice :) I wonder what I actually said that converted into you only need to kick a 25. Oh how I wish that were true.

Where do I need to post that Ahelee has more swimming wisdom in her left pinky toe than I have in my entire body? The Night Nadadores would be better served by listening to you than reading anything I have to say. At least about swimming.

thewookiee
November 3rd, 2009, 08:49 AM
Woo hoo!!

I can relate to the aging up. I do as well :badday:

Me too. My bday falls right before USMS nationals in Atlanta...damn you GA masters for not putting the meet the first week of may!!!!!!! :)

Calvin S
November 3rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
yeah this is the first season I was actually able to submit times to the top 10 and now I age up in january : ( good thing I have a USA taper meet in december so i can get a few more fast times to submit to the 18-24 group.

TRYM_Swimmer
November 3rd, 2009, 01:25 PM
I had some swims that didn't make the preliminary list a few years ago.After some frantic emails to the LMSC and USMS TT people it got straightened out.Just send out positive vibes and it will work out.
PS Fort,congrats on your AA time in the 50 BK.

Our Beautiful Stroke Guru has posted a 100 LCM time this year that is .07 faster than he swam at LC Nats in Knoxville, 1975!! (Alas, his 200 time was .2 slower this year.) This is surely the last time our times were comparable!

What a beast!!

Great job, Allen!

hofffam
November 3rd, 2009, 02:42 PM
If the current list holds - I'll have my first ever Top 10. 10th in 50 breast 50-54.

I suck at LCM breaststroke (my LCM times are never close to converted SCY times) but others must suck even more!

swimshark
November 3rd, 2009, 02:44 PM
If the current list holds - I'll have my first ever Top 10. 10th in 50 breast 50-54.

Fingers crossed for you.

tjrpatt
November 3rd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Me too. My bday falls right before USMS nationals in Atlanta...damn you GA masters for not putting the meet the first week of may!!!!!!! :)

John, a 2:02 made the top ten in the 200 back in the 35-39 age group. With the tech suits going bye bye, I think that you have this in the bag based on your Rowdy Gaines Meet times.

knelson
November 3rd, 2009, 07:09 PM

Good luck and congrats!

Allen Stark
November 3rd, 2009, 08:34 PM
Our Beautiful Stroke Guru has posted a 100 LCM time this year that is .07 faster than he swam at LC Nats in Knoxville, 1975!! (Alas, his 200 time was .2 slower this year.) This is surely the last time our times were comparable!

What a beast!!

Great job, Allen!

Thanks.I was really happy with my BRs,but I surprised myself with a 3rd in the 200 fly also.

elise526
November 3rd, 2009, 11:26 PM

A ranking in the 1500 is a big deal! :banana: To me, just swimming it is huge!

qbrain
November 4th, 2009, 09:25 AM
A ranking in the 1500 is a big deal! :banana: To me, just swimming it is huge!

Thanks. Swimming it was really was the hard part.

TRYM_Swimmer
November 4th, 2009, 09:42 AM

No, anyone can swim it. The hard part was swimming it fast enough to make TT.

Way to go!

hofffam
November 4th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Good luck and congrats!

Thanks! Kinda cool actually. I just gotta see if I can get another one.

tjrpatt
November 4th, 2009, 06:44 PM

Now, you are officially a distance swimmer! :)

swimshark
November 4th, 2009, 07:47 PM

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

qbrain
November 4th, 2009, 07:55 PM

Very funny Tom. Alison, please don't encourage his behavior.

Betsy
November 5th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Splits from natonals in top10.
There was an earlier discussion about splits from nationals not showing up in the Event Rankings. I admit that I was worried. I was happy to see that they did show up in the Top10 preliminary lists. In Indy I had a great split as leadoff on an 800 relay and my 800 on the way to the 1500 was better than an earlier meet. Walt Reid is amazing to check all those splits at nationals!

Red60
November 12th, 2009, 10:35 AM
This is just a little shout of glee. I have no business on any top ten list. But after three years of training, I managed to find my way onto a good 400 free relay team at LC nats. I was the slowest of the group, but due to the talent of others we managed to claw to a 10th place ranking in the 200+ age group. So I'm the slowest swimmer on the slowest relay, but to my amazement, I made a top ten!!!

jim thornton
November 12th, 2009, 11:16 AM
This is just a little shout of glee. I have no business on any top ten list. But after three years of training, I managed to find my way onto a good 400 free relay team at LC nats. I was the slowest of the group, but due to the talent of others we managed to claw to a 10th place ranking in the 200+ age group. So I'm the slowest swimmer on the slowest relay, but to my amazement, I made a top ten!!!

Magnificent! Congratulations one and all!

By the way, picking a relay team is kind of like buying a house. You want to get the least expensive home on the block, that way, when you go to sell it, you won't have to worry about being overpriced in the neighborhood.

Talking your way onto a team of greats is a skill no less important than swimming prowess itself.

I have almost, though not quite, completed my own mission in this regard: cajoling Mike Ross, Hodding Carter, and Mike Schmidt into letting me don the antlered swim cap and join the Mighty Moose Men of Maine on a relay someday.

So far, I have talked Mike Ross into doing this by telling him he can be "Vince" in our swiming equivalent of the HBO series, Entourage. Mike Schmidt, I am pretty sure, doesn't mind being "E."

However, Hodding "Turtle" Carter, alas, is miffed by his designation and is trying to blackball me.

We'll have to work out some sort of political compromise.

Jim "Drama" Thornton

swimshark
November 13th, 2009, 07:00 AM

Congratulations!! :applaud: It doesn't matter where you are on the relay, because without you, the 4th person, they couldn't have done it.