PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Breaststroke

joshua
November 5th, 2009, 09:49 AM
It seems to me that over the last few years there has been a real revolution in the breaststroke. During the 90's nearly everybody was swimming (or trying to swim) the dolphin breast stoke with the upper body nearly perpendicular with the water surface and the swimmer trying to leap forward. During the last few years I have noticed a return to the more classical breaststroke, particularly in the 200m. in general there seems to be more of a mix of breast strokes. Has anybody else noticed this?

Calvin S
November 5th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I too have noticed a shift back to the flat kick driven breast. This ironically coming after I spent a year fixing my stroke and going from the flat stroke to the lunging dolphin stroke. I noticed a huge difference in my 200m br.

Allen Stark
November 5th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Go to breaststroke.info and read Wayne's articles on "WHAT WENT WRONG WITH THE WAVE BREASTSTROKE" and "WHAT WENT RIGHT WITH THE WAVE BREASTSTROKE".Then look at video of Barrowman from 1992 and see he didn't have an exaggerated up and down motion.My opinion is that coaches thought the undulation was propulsive enough to try to maximize it,but it isn't.The really important improvements of the"wave" are keeping your head down all the time and recovering your legs by bending at the knees,not the hips.This improves streamlining,whereas extreme up and down motions break streamlining.Some undulation seems to help many breaststrokers maintain rhythm and may even provide a tiny amount of propulsion so don't totally give up on the concept.Just remember"moderation in all things."

TRYM_Swimmer
November 5th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I too have noticed a shift back to the flat kick driven breast. This ironically coming after I spent a year fixing my stroke and going from the flat stroke to the lunging dolphin stroke. I noticed a huge difference in my 200m br.

Which was faster? I have changed my stroke this year by recovering with palms out rather than in as suggested in a USMS Swimmer article. I have also concentrated on keeping my head down. This made me much faster in a 50, and a bit faster in 100 and 200. I have been swimming the Beautiful Stroke since 1955, when it was still underwater. I have used many different strokes in those years. My stroke is much flatter now than last year and the coach says all of my power is going forward. I was not undulating too much as it was. Definitely have a higher turnover.

Calvin S
November 5th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Which was faster? I have changed my stroke this year by recovering with palms out rather than in as suggested in a USMS Swimmer article. I have also concentrated on keeping my head down. This made me much faster in a 50, and a bit faster in 100 and 200. I have been swimming the Beautiful Stroke since 1955, when it was still underwater. I have used many different strokes in those years. My stroke is much flatter now than last year and the coach says all of my power is going forward. I was not undulating too much as it was. Definitely have a higher turnover.

well my lifetime best in the 200m swimming flat strokje was a 2:35 going into this summer. my average stroke count was about 18-20 strokes the first two 50s and jumped to probably 25-26 by the last lap when doing flat stroke. however, for the 50, it was amazing. i could keep a fast fast turnover (broke 30 on a 200m medley relay and had something like a 100 strokes/min turnover). I have always liked the distance breast more though, and at the start of last short course season i focused on that driving my head down and though my times started out bad, by july (started working back in september on it) it had finally clicked. i was 2:28 this year and my stroke count was 14 15 17 16. the driving my head cut my stroke count down and helped me drive my kick and take some of the emphasis (and fatigue) off my arms. definitly have gone to a more kick driven stroke and i like it a lot more. it has even finally trickled down to affect my 50 stroke too. i found a happy balance between the head drive/hip pop (which slowed my turnover) and the fast fast stroke turnover.

edit: i woul dlike to add that the changes to my breaststroke have also drastically affected my IM, especially the 400. the leg stroke with the driving forward and cutting down stroke count while maintaining speed has meant that my freestyle splits have come way down because my arms arent so tried after doing 100m of flat breast after already doing a 100 fly and back!

rtodd
November 5th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Leisel Jones was all I had to see to know flat is fast.

Calvin S
November 5th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Leisel Jones was all I had to see to know flat is fast.

oh yes flat is fast, but literally, different strokes for different folks. all my life of swimming i did the flat stroke thinking that was my "fast" stroke, as fast as i could get. only after 20 years of being a breaststroker have i learned differently.

joshua
November 7th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I agree that different body types would better adopt to different styles. This is true in other sports as well. As to the wave breast stroke, a great amount of flexibility is demanded. This is a limiting factor for masters swimmers, particularly males.

I myself am a 6"2 master male with long arms and legs. I always felt more comfortable with a flat breast stroke. Now I don't have to be ashamed of it :applaud:.