PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

Retread Swimmer
November 8th, 2009, 07:17 AM
On Halloween I turned the calendar for 61 years. I haven't been swimming since high school (1966). I decided to try a return to swimming to possibly help with my arthritis. So, I headed for the local YMCA, paid my 4 bucks to try it out and ended up surprising myself and doing 100 lengths (7500 feet) of freestyle in an hour. Two days later I did the same thing. I can hardly wait for Monday! Then I accidently found USMS website. Question is - am I swimming well enough to consider a membership in USMS?

SolarEnergy
November 8th, 2009, 11:49 AM
On Halloween I turned the calendar for 61 years. I haven't been swimming since high school (1966). I decided to try a return to swimming to possibly help with my arthritis. So, I headed for the local YMCA, paid my 4 bucks to try it out and ended up surprising myself and doing 100 lengths (7500 feet) of freestyle in an hour. Two days later I did the same thing. I can hardly wait for Monday! Then I accidently found USMS website. Question is - am I swimming well enough to consider a membership in USMS? at age 61? a distance swimmer? I'd pick you in my team any time, you'd score some points for sure.

Welcome back!

swimmj
November 8th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I strongly recommend joining USMS and finding a local team to join. You are doing a great job getting in and swimming by yourself and it's likely you will swim much further and meet some wonderful folks. Welcome back!

--mj

qbrain
November 8th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Question is - am I swimming well enough to consider a membership in USMS?

You are swimming fast enough to be on my team if that is what you are asking.

Some of the benefits of USMS membership:
- you can compete at meets
- you can join a team that only accepts USMS members
- a magazine
- a USMS blog

None of those benefits require you to swim well. If the benefits are something you desire, then join.

Space determines if you are fast enough to join a team, and it really isn't a question of speed, but if you can fit into one of the limited number of lanes well enough that it is better for you than swimming alone. My team has a lot of lanes (18 short course I think), so we can accommodate the rank beginner to Michael Phelps (Phelps would get his own lane, we have lots of beginners).

You are doing 2500 yards in 60 minutes just starting out, so I think most teams will have a lane that you will fit in with just fine. It might take a few weeks before you following the workout exactly, but that isn't uncommon.

jessicafk11
November 8th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Question is - am I swimming well enough to consider a membership in USMS?

If you are swimming, then you are swimming well enough to consider membership in USMS!

qbrain
November 8th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Also, at 2500 yards in an hour, you wouldn't be the slowest person on my team by a long shot. At 61, you wouldn't be the oldest either.

joel schmaltz
November 8th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Sounds like you are doing great! Don't be intimidated and try to find a team in your area. You will be welcome on any team and I would be willing to bet you would really enjoy it. It is always more fun and easier to swim with a group. Keep up the good work!