PDA

View Full Version : Best post-workout recovery meal?

Swim_McG
November 9th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Hey folks I am clueless when it comes to post-workout nutrition. Any thoughts on what is best after a 1.5 hour pretty hard swim workout?

chaos
November 9th, 2009, 08:58 AM
whey protein in solution.
my preferred delivery vehicle is OJ (watered down)

qbrain
November 9th, 2009, 09:05 AM
What is your schedule?

You want to eat ASAP after you workout, which will start replenishing your glycogen stores so you can workout again. This is pretty critical if you want to have a good second workout the same day, say if you swim in the morning and lift at night, or if you are doing a back to back PM/AM swim or if you are a triathlete and you regularly do doubles. If you are only swimming 3x/week, not as big a deal, but it will make you feel a little better.

Right after workout, your body is primed to load fuel back into the muscle and as time goes on, it returns to its normal state which is put some fuel in the muscle, some in the liver some in fat.

Protein+carb is absorbed better than carb alone. If you are away from a fridge, there are drink mixes like PureSport and Endurox (and many more) that will work, plus bars like ThinkThin (only protein+carb bar I know off off the top of my head). If you have a fridge and are in a hurry, skim milk or fat free chocolate milk. If you are not in a hurry, egg whites and toast.

Those are ideas for the first 30 minutes you are out of the pool. After that, a regular meal is just as good as anything else. Fat slows down digestion, which is good after the 30 minute window is up, because it will help you feel full longer.

Speedo
November 9th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Hey folks I am clueless when it comes to post-workout nutrition. Any thoughts on what is best after a 1.5 hour pretty hard swim workout?
Can you eat something right after the workout? I usually can't, so I drink a water bottle with Accelerade (not endorsing the taste), which has a 4:1 carb: protein ratio. That ratio seems to be the basic component of post-workout nutrition during normal training. But how it gets delivered is up to you and what your body agrees with (i.e solid vs. fluid). I have to wait about an hour until I can eat solid food after a longer workout. Hope this helps.

knelson
November 9th, 2009, 11:39 AM
If you are not in a hurry, egg whites and toast.

You got a problem with egg yolks? I'll tell you one thing, if I had to just stick to the white I'd probably never eat another egg again.

RuffWater
November 9th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Choose between these three:
1) PB&J sandwich (on whole grain bread);
2) Endurox (if you are into powders);
3) Chocolate milk (be a kid again).

Mix it up for variety. Quantities dependant on how much it takes to satisfy your hunger.

orca1946
November 9th, 2009, 12:21 PM
30 mins to get home after swimming, I eat a Mc Donalds salad with some cheese added.

qbrain
November 9th, 2009, 01:08 PM
You got a problem with egg yolks? I'll tell you one thing, if I had to just stick to the white I'd probably never eat another egg again.

I am suggesting no fat for 30 minutes after workout.

knelson
November 9th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I am suggesting no fat for 30 minutes after workout.

Why is that?

pendaluft
November 9th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Chopped Tomato
Friendship Low Fat Cottage Cheese
Lime Juice
Habanero Sauce

Breakfast of Champions!

Ahelee Sue Osborn
November 9th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Not everyone will be into this as an entire plan for their training nutrition...
But I think you might find some good ideas from Rich Roll.

Rich was a great swimmer at Stanford and has now landed himself in ultra distance triathlon, running and cycling.
He is currently in Kona preparing to race The Ultraman over Thanksgiving weekend.

This little video clip gives a look at his post workout drink!

YouTube- Post-Workout Plant Strong Recovery Vita-Mix

Cheers and good luck Rich!
:)

qbrain
November 9th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Why is that?

Research shows that
- there is increased glycogen uptake immediately following exercise (0-30 minutes)
- that a protein+carb blend works better than carbs alone
- protein taken during this period may increase protein synthesis

Fat slows the digestive process which would decrease the benefits above.

Swim_McG
November 9th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks everybody for all of the great suggestions. There seems to be a lot of consensus regarding the need to get some carb/protein mix in your body within 30 minutes of the end of a workout. Sometimes I feel like hell a couple of hours after a great workout and I'm pretty sure my post-workout meals are contributing to that.
Love the Rich Roll video ...I swam with his sister in college. I'd love to get one of those VitaMix blenders - $400 a pop though.

Herb
November 12th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I like to get a six pack on the way home and a big plate of nachos.

Chicken of the Sea
November 12th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Eggs Benedict