PDA

View Full Version : Some newbie questions

Tylor
November 9th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I may not be a masters US swimmer but I was hoping I could get some advice from some experienced swimmers about swimming. I am a 15 year old male and I am a couple months into my second season of US swimming. Our team generally swims 6500-7000 yards(2 hours) everyday M-T and on Saturdays. Afterwards, our team has 45-55 minutes of dryland on M, W, and Thursdays. For dryland we sometimes do stairs(we practice at a club), burpees, pushups, situps, 4-points, lunges, squats, etc. We do not use weights, although I am aware that it is suggested(?). I am not yet in the group that swims 1 hour and 30 mins in the morning before school just yet, but I do practice with them in the afternoon after school and I am aiming to get to that group.

My first question is, what should I be eating before and after practice? When I get home from school, I usually drink a protein shake(35 g of protein and 4 g of carbs) with some crackers, bread, or cereal about 1 hour prior to the beginning of practice. Between the two hours in the pool and dryland, I will sometimes eat a powerbar or granola bar or I will just save it until after dryland. Then I get home and eat dinner, usually a steak, or a burger, or chicken with some pasta or sometimes potatoes. My mom recently bought some vegetable and fruit vitamins that I eat in the morning before school. I am not sure how much servings they have, but I know that it is around 8-10 servings of each. Occasionaly I will eat some fruit and vegetables. Keep in mind that I am also very skinny. I weigh maybe 115-120 lbs and I am about 5'9".

Also, what should I be drinking during practice? Right now I bring a regular sized bottle of Gatorade. Do sports drinks make much of a difference? Would a drink such as V8 be a better choice?

Any other suggestions would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you guys for your help! :)