PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Resource - Swimming Anatomy!

Cokie
November 14th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I just obtained a fantastic book on Dryland Training. It is "Swimming Anatomy" by Ian McLeod, just published October 22, 2009. I have quite a collection of books on swimming, weight training, tube training, all targeting swimmers. This is by far THE best I have ever seen. Every coach and swimmer should get this book! Why am I sold on this? Because for the first time I know exactly what muscle groups are targeted by each of the 74 exercises in the book, how to properly execute the exercises, and what it will do for me for a specific stroke, start or turn.

Here is the product description from Amazon and I think it is "spot on". See how to achieve stronger starts, more explosive turns, and faster times! Swimming Anatomy will show you how to improve your performance by increasing muscle strength and optimizing the efficiency of every stroke.

Swimming Anatomy includes 74 of the most effective swimming exercises, each with step-by-step descriptions and full-color anatomical illustrations highlighting the primary muscles in action.

Swimming Anatomy goes beyond exercises by placing you on the starting block, in the water, and into the throes of competition. Illustrations of the active muscles for starts, turns, and the four competitive strokes (freestyle, breaststroke, butterfly, and backstroke) show you how each exercise is fundamentally linked to swimming performance.

You'll also learn how exercises can be modified to target specific areas, improve your form in the water, and minimize common swimming injuries. Best of all, you'll learn how to put it all together to develop a training program based on your individual needs and goals.

Whether you are training for a 50-meter freestyle race or the open-water stage of a triathlon, Swimming Anatomy will ensure you enter the water prepared to achieve every performance goal.

MastersSwimmersBlog
November 16th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I ordered this upon your recommendation and it is a FANTASTIC resource! Thanks for telling me about this book.

Keiko
December 16th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I am going to check this out! I have been looking for a good resource for my dryland. Plus, I've found that my children's swim team needs HELP on creating dryland program.

BTW, any dryland suggestion for young swimmers (middle school and high school groups)?

Thanks

Cokie
December 16th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Sorry, my knowledge is limited to masters programs. All I can think of is USA's Swimmings website, ASCA or SwimInfo.com!

debaru
December 19th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I am going to check this out! I have been looking for a good resource for my dryland. Plus, I've found that my children's swim team needs HELP on creating dryland program.

BTW, any dryland suggestion for young swimmers (middle school and high school groups)?

Thanks

On page 9 of Swimming Anatomy, is a table on "Age Related Resistance-Training Considerations", which was adapted by permission from W.J. Kraemer and S.J. Fleck, 2005, "Strength training for young athletes", 2nd ed. (Champaign, IL; Human Kinetics).

I hope this helps. :)

Sharpsburger
December 21st, 2009, 10:29 AM
Just ordered the book. Will report back.

Viva O Fear
November 1st, 2010, 11:41 PM
Nice information, I will order it! Thanks:2cents: