PDA

View Full Version : So Germany's Paul Biedermann swam a 1:39 200 m free

Mark Savage
November 15th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I'm wondering what that time would convert to yards. I'm guessing roughly 1:25? Am I close?

thewookiee
November 15th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I'm wondering what that time would convert to yards. I'm guessing roughly 1:25? Am I close?

Probably pretty close...1:25-1:27, depending on how he would handle turning a little sooner, when compared to scm.

ehoch
November 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Easy guys - its about a 1:29 flat. At that speed, it's about 10 sec for a 200.

I am not sure he is done yet - they still have the Euro meet in December...

Couroboros
November 15th, 2009, 01:38 PM
This was SCM, I am assuming...

tjrpatt
November 15th, 2009, 02:06 PM
His 400 free was very inspiring to watch. Overall, he is still going to a problem for Phelps when the suits are gone. Of course, when Phelps gets back into Phelpsian shape, it could be a toss up.

Overall, it is a shame that more swimmers at the World Cup Events aren't doing like Phelps and going back to jammers. But, I guess that these swimmers just "Can't quit Tech Suits" until they absolutely have to.

knelson
November 15th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Easy guys - its about a 1:29 flat. At that speed, it's about 10 sec for a 200.

Yeah, that's about what I would think. Give a 10% discount for yards and it's a 1:29.

I mentioned this in another thread, but has anyone else noticed Biedermann doesn't overlap his hands during the streamline? He could be even faster with better turns.

ande
November 15th, 2009, 06:35 PM
phelps is fine, I'm sure he's just training through this meet & he's wearing jammers,

it's amazing how many records got smashed today smashed and by how much, some went down by chunks

His 400 free was very inspiring to watch. Overall, he is still going to a problem for Phelps when the suits are gone. Of course, when Phelps gets back into Phelpsian shape, it could be a toss up.

Overall, it is a shame that more swimmers at the World Cup Events aren't doing like Phelps and going back to jammers. But, I guess that these swimmers just "Can't quit Tech Suits" until they absolutely have to.

RobbieD
November 15th, 2009, 09:30 PM

Not every body is getting paid the same way as Mikey P. He can afford to skip the tech suits and lay down some (for him) not so great swims. For a lot of the other swimmers this is a shot to make some dough to continue swimming as pros. I'd be in a techsuit too, it's good business. I'm going to go ahead and say he's one of the few swimmers in the world that doesn't need a few bucks here and there to stay afloat between Olympics.

orca1946
November 16th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Will we be as in awe as we are now next year when NO records are broken ??

Chris Stevenson
November 16th, 2009, 03:44 AM

"Awe" does not describe my feeling seeing all those records broken. "Ho hum" is more like it. The times themselves have little context, so they're almost meaningless.

I'm sure Biedermann and others will be incredible in jammers too. And I will feel awe at any records that ARE broken.

tjrpatt
November 16th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Not every body is getting paid the same way as Mikey P. He can afford to skip the tech suits and lay down some (for him) not so great swims. For a lot of the other swimmers this is a shot to make some dough to continue swimming as pros. I'd be in a techsuit too, it's good business. I'm going to go ahead and say he's one of the few swimmers in the world that doesn't need a few bucks here and there to stay afloat between Olympics.

I think that some of Top European swimmers would be making the same amount of money whether they were in a tech suit or not. They seem to treated like the top sports stars in their native country. I think that it would have been cool if all the World Cup participants could have gone back to the old suits as a way to start fresh again or something.

ehoch
November 16th, 2009, 01:14 PM

We have been through this discussion before -- I think it's pretty obvious - swim fans will continue to watch. Sport fans will stop paying attention - how many people watched Usain Bolt this summer compared to the 400 dash winner ? I don't even know who won any other running events at the track world's. The record run would slow down next year even with the suits, without the suits, we will just come to a stand still.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
November 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I think that some of Top European swimmers would be making the same amount of money whether they were in a tech suit or not. They seem to treated like the top sports stars in their native country. I think that it would have been cool if all the World Cup participants could have gone back to the old suits as a way to start fresh again or something.

WRONG!

Pro athletes are paid to use and promote their sponsor's latest product(s).

They are paid additional incentive cash for records and medals.

gray
November 16th, 2009, 01:55 PM
so this really does beg the question....tech suits really didn't help that much? I am for innovation in our sport, but with the recent performances by top swimmers, you really wonder did the tech suits really "enhance" their performance?

tjrpatt
November 16th, 2009, 02:01 PM
WRONG!

Pro athletes are paid to use and promote their sponsor's latest product(s).

They are paid additional incentive cash for records and medals.

Well, maybe the Athletes should have worn Arena or Speedo's newest Legskin or female suit since the tech suit are obsolete(or about to be). They are not promoting their company's latest products wearing the tech suits!

I see your point though about the incentive part. Heck, a swimmer from a little farm town in Estonia has to do what he/she has to get an extra buck. But, the Chinese girl who would have won the 200 fly at both Cup Meets no matter what, could have went back to textiles.

I will Be so glad when these suits are out of here.

knelson
November 16th, 2009, 03:25 PM
so this really does beg the question....tech suits really didn't help that much? I am for innovation in our sport, but with the recent performances by top swimmers, you really wonder did the tech suits really "enhance" their performance?

I'm not getting you. Basically everyone except Phelps is still wearing the tech suits for the World Cup series. I'd say the fact world records are still falling like dominoes and that Phelps is an also ran at these events is strong evidence that the suits are enhancing performance greatly.

USA Swimming, NCAA, and high school swimming have already put the ban into effect. The ban doesn't go into effect for FINA until 1/1/10.

Chris Stevenson
November 16th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Sport fans will stop paying attention

Really, are they paying attention now? If I stopped 100 people -- heck, 1000 people -- on the streets of Richmond right now and asked them who Paul Biederemann is, they wouldn't have a clue. Most would guess NASCAR.

The only swimmer to achieve Bolt-like fame is Phelps, and I daresay he would have done it even if the LZR and all the other suits had never been invented.

Puffalump
November 23rd, 2009, 07:11 PM
I noticed that Biedermann doesn't do a tight streamline, too! In fact, I've seen videos of several high-caliber athletes who don't always do it... Very strange; ever since we were kids, we were indoctrinated to squeeze those ears!
I also noticed that Biedermann turns on the wall, rather than pushing off on his back... I do that, too...

SolarEnergy
November 25th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I must have looked at this clip at least 20 times.

I can't help but thinking that Biedermann's technique payed a big role in winning over Phelps.

Phelps is a real joy to look at. Such a great feeling for water. But in my humble opinion, he constantly has to re accelerate on every right arm stroke. It's a victory of regularity and stroke rate over fitness in my opinion.

One more thing. Biedermann was highly confident by 150. He decided to opt for his best breathing side even if it meant not being able to look at Phelps potentially catching him back.

Lump
November 25th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I noticed that Biedermann doesn't do a tight streamline, too! In fact, I've seen videos of several high-caliber athletes who don't always do it... Very strange; ever since we were kids, we were indoctrinated to squeeze those ears!
I also noticed that Biedermann turns on the wall, rather than pushing off on his back... I do that, too...

When your heart rate is probably over 180 bpm things tend to fall apart here and there, especially at the end of a 200 free. Its still flesh and blood in there.

orca1946
November 26th, 2009, 01:19 PM
These stars will always amaze all of us mere swimmers. I look forward to this season to see what effect no full tach suits will have.

Puffalump
November 26th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Biedermann will always be fast. In Berlin, everyone, except Phelps, wore tech suits. Same went for Rome. I'm really excited to see how he'll do!