PDA

View Full Version : Meet question??

semperduee
November 19th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I am swimming in my first meet in a very long time and am not quite sure on how things are run. Generally is there a check-in area for the swimmers? Or is it just kind of a fend for yourself enviroment?

Diana

jessicafk11
November 19th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I am also swimming in my first meet in a really long time! I don't know what to tell you about how things are run, but I hope that it goes very well for you!

semperduee
November 19th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Good Luck at your meet! Hopefully things will run smoothly for the both of us!

gigi
November 19th, 2009, 10:54 PM
There's always ( in my experience anyway) a check-in table either near the entrance or on deck.

One thing for sure though - everyone will be more than happy to help you out and point you in the right direction -

Have a great time and have some great swims!

:)

joel schmaltz
November 20th, 2009, 09:38 AM
You won't have any problems at all. I think I have been asked to show my ID and my USMS registration card at one meet. Good luck and have a great time.

qbrain
November 20th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Yes, look for a positive checkin table. Also ask where the heat sheets will be posted. Either someone who has been to the meet the previous year or someone "official" will answer you questions.

Everyone is really nice to people who are newly competing, because there are actually very few regular competitors.

Niceness is suspended during warm up, which is guaranteed to be a total cluster.

Bring a parka if you have one. It doesn't matter what the weather is like outside, who knows what the weather will be like on the pool deck. If it happens to be warm on deck, you will have something soft to sit on.

I am bringing 2 bottles of water and a bottle of gatorade to my meet this weekend. The water is to stay hydrated throughout the meet and the gatorade is take a few slugs after each event. I would not depend on water fountains...

__steve__
November 20th, 2009, 01:55 PM
My first meet ever will be in a couple months at Charlotte, NC. Just swimming one event - the 50 free. Even though I'll be driving 3 hours each way to swim for 30 seconds, it will be more of an orientation for me since I never really witnessed a swim meet. Not even as a kid.

Redbird Alum
November 20th, 2009, 02:01 PM
My first meet ever will be in a couple months at Charlotte, NC. Just swimming one event - the 50 free. Even though I'll be driving 3 hours each way to swim for 30 seconds, it will be more of an orientation for me since I never really witnessed a swim meet. Not even as a kid.

Steve -

If you still have time, you may want to enter a few more events, even if you don't think you are ready. If possible, one ahead of your targeted 50, and one after. It will help prevent you from driving all that way and then having one mistake make the whole meet a drag. Plus you will have the opportunity to "try" an event prior to your target event, and an opportunity to tune your experience before you go home.

Just one opinion... good luck!

__steve__
November 20th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks Matt, 200 free added:)

Diana, this is what was suggested to me for my first meet at the SUNBELT CHAMPIONSHIP in NC

"Hi Steve. First, thank you for inquiring and second, as long as you'll be coming to Charlotte, why not enter another event or two REGARDLESS of how
fast or slow you might swim them? Masters swimmers are way past looking
down on anyone who swims in meets - fast, slow, fail to finish....whatever.

Next, it's a requirement that you are registered with United States Masters Swimming (sounds like you're already a registered member). You must be registered for the year 2010 since the meet is in 2010. If you are not registered or have not renewed your 2009 registration for 2010, go to www.usms.org (http://www.usms.org/) and on the very first page, there is a red button on the right side of the screen (about the size of a dime); click on it to register or renew with USMS for 2010.

Next, go to www.ncmasters.org (http://www.ncmasters.org/) and on the opening page, click on MEETS in the yellow bar. Then you'll see information for the Sunbelt Meet - please click on the place where you can ENTER THE MEET ONLINE because its quicker, easier, provides an instant confirmation to you and most of all, saves hours and hours of manually typing everybody into the meet software.

Next, begin a practice routine at your home pool so you can gain both endurance and a touch of speed...both quite subjective I realize, but you be the judge of your own endurance and/or speed. Once in a while (maybe once per week) do several 25s at full effort! Take at least 4-5 minutes rest between them...is ok to paddle back and forth very slowly while you're recovering. This is a great way to develop some speed and get used to feeling out of breath, etc.

Once the deadline for entering has passed, the online software will seed the meet; it will place you in a heat and a lane based on the seed time you turned in when you entered the meet. If you're not sure about a seed time, welcome to the rest of us....it is no big deal ---- just make an educated guess as to the time you might have in the event(s) you enter. You'll be in a heat with other people who have relatively same seed times and you turned in.

Again, I strongly encourage you to enter several events. You'll end up
being glad you did. Thank you and I look forward to seeing you that
weekend. Jerry"

semperduee
November 20th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Thank you all to your replies and I feeling pretty good about tomorrow. Steve good luck at your meet in January, I may be going to that one too:) Oh, I entered with a NT because I really didn't want to under or over guess, but that was just my personal choice; plus there were no times required to swim.

Thanks Everyone!!
Diana