PDA

View Full Version : best goggles

dgs73
November 29th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I am new at Masters swimming and have been enjoying the blogs. I have tried a few different types of goggles but haven't yet found the best combination of comfort, air-tightness, and visibility underwater. What do experienced swimmers believe is the best brand and style?

__steve__
December 1st, 2009, 04:14 PM
I have discovered you get what you pay for. My face also usually breaks into to the goggle rather than the opposite.

enshape
December 1st, 2009, 04:29 PM
Did you ever try kiefer.com or swimoutlet.com. I got prescription goggles from kiefer for around $20.00. I swim 2 miles a time in them. they are rather comfortable

aquageek
December 1st, 2009, 04:31 PM
I pefer Swedes. Here's wookie in his preferred swim eyewear of choice:

__steve__
December 1st, 2009, 04:44 PM
Looks like that guy above will get a better DPS than 5% with shaving, more like 40%.

pendaluft
December 1st, 2009, 04:55 PM
You gotta see what fits your face -- I was surprised to find out that Nike goggles (which sounded like a joke to me at first) feel better than anything I have worn over my eyes ever. Good visibility too. I never saw anyone else with them so I conclude that I'm anomalous.

Allen Stark
December 1st, 2009, 04:58 PM
I love the TYR Racetech,but everyone's face is different.

jeffsab
December 1st, 2009, 05:38 PM
Swedish, hands down.

Pros:
1. Custom-sized to your face. (Because you assemble them.)
2. Generate less pressure on eye sockets than goggles with padding.
3. Fit over large noses. (I have a rather big one.)
4. Last forever. (I am still using a pair from 1990, though I have replaced the strap.)
5. Cheap. (<$5.00)

Cons:
1. Can still leak a bit on the start if not adjusted correctly.
2. Smaller field of vision than some bigger goggles.

(In high school in the late 1980's I used to buy these in bulk for less than a buck a pair and sell them at age group meets. I did all right, at least I made enough money to pay for my suits.)

Bobinator
December 1st, 2009, 05:59 PM
I would visit a swim shop and let them help you. Tell them what googles didn't work for you.
Try the googles on before you buy; if you press the google against your face and it creates a vaccum (seal) it should work for you.
my favorite is TYR T-72 femme Petite. I don't think they make them anymore so when my backstock is gone I will be back to square 1.

jessicafk11
December 1st, 2009, 06:01 PM
I love my Swedish ones!

Warren
December 1st, 2009, 06:14 PM
vanquishers. very dependable, comfortable, and never leaked for me.

That Guy
December 1st, 2009, 06:23 PM
Looks like that guy above will get a better DPS than 5% with shaving, more like 40%.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused:

__steve__
December 1st, 2009, 06:50 PM
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused: I was just thinking about how the proof below depends on how hairy someone is

http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=200141&postcount=129

and was referring to this person

http://forums.usms.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1774&d=1259703051

Sorry for the pointless post, but I didn't realize shaving was so significant and it stuck in my mind.

That Guy
December 1st, 2009, 06:56 PM
:shakeshead::shakeshead::shakeshead::shakeshead::s hakeshead::shakeshead:

orca1946
December 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM
You have to go with what fit the old mug. Silicone is more of a comfort to my face & last longer also.

__steve__
December 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM
:shakeshead::shakeshead::shakeshead::shakeshead::s hakeshead::shakeshead:Like putting your foot in your mouth, I put my foot on the keyboard:bolt:outta here!

Bobinator
December 1st, 2009, 09:14 PM
don't let the swim snobs scare you off! :cool:

Lump
December 1st, 2009, 09:33 PM
vanquishers. very dependable, comfortable, and never leaked for me.

+1

KEWebb18
December 1st, 2009, 10:30 PM
+1

+1
Even though I often wear swedes

lapswimmr
December 1st, 2009, 10:44 PM
Swedes it is ! Once you get over the fact that they wont cut your eyes there not bad.
I would not recommend them for a tri-race where you can get kicked in the face. The Speedo Hydroflex is a goggle that I can say a lot of people like and works well. My fav are the Barracuda Standards, comfortable and rebuildable with a seal kit for about 6 dollars but
as I have said here before a love em or hate em goggle. I have never had a problem getting them to fit and seal others have had lots of trouble. Years ago they were the thing for tri-swims. The various masks work pretty good. they cut up my face with lines. Don't worry about what some one else tells you. goggles are a very personal swim item and you will find your fav with trial and error. If you find a pair that you really like take some old sage advice and buy a couple pairs in case they stop making them.

clyde hedlund
December 2nd, 2009, 06:45 AM
If you had cataracts removed and don't have implants or wear contacts while swimming, then the best diopter goggles are Hilco, for they go all the way up to +8 in positive power and are comfortable. No prescription needed for expensive lenses.

thewookiee
December 2nd, 2009, 08:10 AM
don't let the swim snobs scare you off! :cool:

Who are you callin a swim snob?

Georgio
December 2nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
I have swedes and they are a good bargain for the low price, albiet with a smaller field of view and not the most comfortable for me. I'm having good success with Speedo Speedsocket right now.....especially good visability and antifog coating. But they have to fit your individual face.

Enjoy the view!

Georgio :chug:

__steve__
December 2nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
Who are you callin a swim snob?I think she referred to that guy as a snob but not in a mean way.

As for goggles, one thing that used to bug me was fogging, but I found that a drop of water rolling around in there keeps it clear

thewookiee
December 2nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
If you are swimming backstroke, don't worry about them. You don't need them. I like the speedo speedsockets for the other strokes. They are low profile and really comfortable.

Oscar1981
December 2nd, 2009, 11:56 AM
Hey guys,

i'm having trouble with my Arena swimgoogles. To get them watertight, I have to make them so tight i get huge marks around my eyes and they are very uncomfortable.

I hear alot of good things about Speedo Hydrospex, but I can't find them anywhere in Denmark where i live.

But I found these:

Speedo Futura Ice Plus
http://store.speedo.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product6_10151_10202_80300_-1_33468_33314_Y_80301

Do you think they are close to the same as Hydrospex?
could look like just the next gen or european name maybe?

thanks!

Oscar

hofffam
December 2nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
Good goggles for me:

Speedo Vanquisher - good fit, straps are tight (don't stretch much)
Speedo Speed Socket (for racing) - very low profile
Nike Swim Swift (I wear these now daily)
Nike Remora - kinda like Vanquishers but the straps are more relaxed

Bad goggles:

Speedo Airseal - tends to trap water inside the seal
Speedo Vanquisher 2.0 - worse than the original because they break where the nose piece attaches

SolarEnergy
December 2nd, 2009, 12:14 PM
I have discovered you get what you pay for. My face also usually breaks into to the goggle rather than the opposite. The last 4 pairs that I bought (Speedo) all endup up leaking. This, no matter their price.

So to me now it's clear, there are no good goggles without some Crazy Glue.

joel schmaltz
December 2nd, 2009, 02:01 PM
Swedes work for me. They fit my face better than others I've tried.

BR KnuckleDragger
December 3rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
Speed sockets for me...I own three pairs; Clear for evening or indoor workout, mirrored for daytime workout and a pristine pair of mirrored for racing.

I have a big noggin and like that they can be adjusted for the bridge of your nose.

Sharpsburger
December 3rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
Speed sockets for me...I own three pairs; Clear for evening or indoor workout, mirrored for daytime workout and a pristine pair of mirrored for racing.

I have a big noggin and like that they can be adjusted for the bridge of your nose.

Speedo Speed Sockets here, as well. They work great with virtually no pressure.

__steve__
December 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM
I noticed the speed sockets were a little scratchy at first around the edge of the seal, but they eventually broke in. I bought them around July, used them daily since then including two weeks in the ocean. They still work fine and don't leak, however the mirror finish rubbed off.

FireRox21
December 3rd, 2009, 06:33 PM
Swedes are the best for me.

A close second are the TYR Socket Rockets. They are just like Swedes, but they have a rubber gasket covering the hard plastic around the eye piece. The bad thing about these are if not dried properly, mold and nasty black gunk will build up between the gasket and the plastic.

My go-to's for meets and open water are a pair of The View goggles. I won those 9 years ago at the 2 miler down here in Newport Beach. I can't remember the exact model name, but I know they are made by The View and have a really good suction for race starts.

orca1946
December 3rd, 2009, 07:04 PM
Speedo is my brand for meets & workouts.

5out6aintbad
December 4th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Speed sockets all the time - worn loose for training and tighter for racing. Also have a pair of Shinari Views.

I've got a big old nose and the shape of the bridge piece on speed sockets stops me getting a red mark.

waves101
December 4th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Best for me are the View Snyper's. I swim over 200 days a year and these goggles last seemingly forever. Sometimes I can get a full year out of one pair. Only bad part is they only come in smoke, blue or amber. Wish they made clear.

osterber
December 4th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I still wear the Speedo Ultravision goggles. Fits my face great. Old-school, yes. They're not available anymore. I've got a few pairs left.

-Rick

3strokes
December 5th, 2009, 08:40 AM
If you find a pair that you really like take some old sage advice and buy a couple pairs in case they stop making them.

.....buy a couple or more of pairs for WHEN they stop making them.
Believe me, the moment they hear hat "somebody" anybody, likes a model, they'll discontinue it.

Case in point, Nike uptakes (if memory serves).

jgale
December 7th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I tried swedes. They were OK if I kept the straps loose but had trouble with them going off the blocks. Tried different styles until I stumbled on Speedo Vanquishers and Tyr Tracers. Very happy with both models, the fit me well and seem to be equally durable.

Lump
December 8th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Personally, I'm SHOCKED that nobody says they wear these!:anim_coffee:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg142/Gamecock71/funny/bb11_071009_BradenScubaMask_a.jpg

__steve__
December 8th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Of course not, they're an unpoplular color.

debaru
December 8th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I would visit a swim shop and let them help you. Tell them what googles didn't work for you.
Try the googles on before you buy; if you press the google against your face and it creates a vaccum (seal) it should work for you.
my favorite is TYR T-72 femme Petite. I don't think they make them anymore so when my backstock is gone I will be back to square 1.

Sports Authority (I'm in Arizona) carries the TYR T-72 Femme Petite. I just bought a pair in their store today and there were several pairs on the rack. I also checked the TYR website and they still carry them, so it looks like you're safe, Bobinator. :)