PDA

View Full Version : How The Gridge Stole Christmas

That Guy
December 2nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Every Who down in Whoville (http://www.swimoregon.org/) liked Christmas a lot,
but the Gridge, who lived just north of Whoville (http://www.swimpna.org/) - did not.
The Gridge hated Christmas - the whole Christmas season.
Now, please don't ask why; no one quite knows the reason.
It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight.
Or it could be that his head wasn't screwed on just right.
But I think that the most likely reason of all
may have been that his heart was two sizes too small.
The Gridge asked each of the Whos who said they could swim,
what makes you poor noodlers think you will beat him (http://www.swimoregon.org/forms/meets/09Mac.pdf)?

Allen Stark
December 2nd, 2009, 10:45 PM
I'll be at the meet in the 50 and 100 Fly plus relays (and a BR to be named later if I need one after SPMA-I entered the 200 BR in a slow time figuring I could get split times if needed.)Given that you are 1) younger and 2) a flyer how about your time vs my time converted to yards(i.e. roughly ,divide my time by 1.1)You'll still win,but it may be close.

That Guy
December 2nd, 2009, 10:56 PM
Gridge Engaged in the 100 fly! I entered 100-200 fly, 100-200 back, and so that everyone can point and laugh at Slowtwitch the Sprintless Clown :bouncing:, I entered the 50 free (which I won't be doing again in scm until sometime in the 40-44 age group).

That Guy
December 13th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Allen sent me a PM last week to let me know that because he missed SPMA's, he changed up his events in this meet so he could cover his primary events (breaststroke of course) for the SCM season. So our 100 fly gridge was cancelled. But then today I saw on the heat sheets that he was still entered in the 100 fly. I thought, wow, that's sneaky, and/or the Ghost of Gridgemas Past! (And sneakiness is a good thing! When a gridge is involved, all manner of trickery is pre-approved, including disguises, bribery, fake prosthetic limbs, etc) But it was not to be. Allen did not swim the 100 fly. But in the span of just a couple hours, wearing a fake moustache and entered under the alias Buck Jaked, he swam the 100 breast twice, the 200 breast, and then won the 50 breast just shortly after the 200! Great swimming, Buck!

Wow the techsuit ban can't come soon enough... that alias is just... creepy

Allen Stark
December 13th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Allen sent me a PM last week to let me know that because he missed SPMA's, he changed up his events in this meet so he could cover his primary events (breaststroke of course) for the SCM season. So our 100 fly gridge was cancelled. But then today I saw on the heat sheets that he was still entered in the 100 fly. I thought, wow, that's sneaky, and/or the Ghost of Gridgemas Past! (And sneakiness is a good thing! When a gridge is involved, all manner of trickery is pre-approved, including disguises, bribery, fake prosthetic limbs, etc) But it was not to be. Allen did not swim the 100 fly. But in the span of just a couple hours, wearing a fake moustache and entered under the alias Buck Jaked, he swam the 100 breast twice, the 200 breast, and then won the 50 breast just shortly after the 200! Great swimming, Buck!

ROFL.By the way,TG was great,he smoked that 100 fly.

Allen Stark
December 14th, 2009, 12:48 PM

Someone in their infinite wisdom thought it would be a good idea to have all the breaststroke events grouped in the middle of the meet starting right after the Mixed MR so I swam the 100 BR in the MR,100 BR 10 min later,200 BR 30 min later and 50 BR 10 min later.I think they grouped it that way so I didn't have to try to take off the Jaked between events,dang those things are tight.
The good news is I was fresh for the 400 Mixed MR having only swum the 50 fly before it and that about an hour before and we broke the NR and WR(my split was 1:13.19,really fast for me.)

That Guy
December 14th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Someone in their infinite wisdom thought it would be a good idea to have all the breaststroke events grouped in the middle of the meet starting right after the Mixed MR so I swam the 100 BR in the MR,100 BR 10 min later,200 BR 30 min later and 50 BR 10 min later.I think they grouped it that way so I didn't have to try to take off the Jaked between events,dang those things are tight.
The good news is I was fresh for the 400 Mixed MR having only swum the 50 fly before it and that about an hour before and we broke the NR and WR(my split was 1:13.19,really fast for me.)

Great job on the WR! That was an odd swim meet. Positive checkin was required for every event (which was not mentioned on the entry form - only the 400 free was mentioned) so when I arrived at about 8:40ish, checkin was already closed for the 200 back. I could have begged my way back into the event, but I opted not to since I was feeling lousy. Then I stood behind the blocks debating whether to do the 200 fly. Tiger taught me to just do it (though it turns out he was talking about something else) so I did it, but decided to just swim rather than sprint the last 75. I'm glad I swam it. The 100 fly went well; I can feel some speed returning to me since I abandoned breathing every stroke 3 weeks ago. My stroke rate is faster this way. My 50 free was just as lol-worthy as I predicted. I did the same exact time I did in the previous age group. My 100 back was paced wrong - I did the first 50 on 200 pace so my overall time suffered :doh:.

Anyway, I just did the evaluation survey for the meet and made sure to mention that checkin deadlines need to be on the entry form, sent out in email if they change, etc. I'm actually grateful that the meet went so quickly - I got home before dark on a day when snow showers were happening randomly the whole way up I-5. You don't want to be driving in Portland when it snows!!! (http://www.portland.com/portland/press-releases/amazing-video-of-portland-drivers-in-the-snow/)

BillS
December 14th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I think the positive check in may have been caused by the fact that I-84 closed. We had a bunch of folks (around a dozen) from my team who couldn't get in, so I think the meet director re-seeded the whole meet, and wanted to ensure that the people being re-seeded were actually present and swimming.

Sorry I missed it, I like that meet.

Allen Stark
December 14th, 2009, 11:11 PM
There was an email saying the meet wasn't canceled but that there would be a check in as people might not make it.I think that 8:45 was OK for the first couple of events but for the later events that was unfair.

That Guy
December 14th, 2009, 11:59 PM
There was an email saying the meet wasn't canceled but that there would be a check in as people might not make it.I think that 8:45 was OK for the first couple of events but for the later events that was unfair.

I did not receive that email. :badday:

Allen Stark
December 15th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I suspect it just went to OMS swimmers(sue them for discrimination.)