PDA

View Full Version : Is the second time as exciting?

bamueller
January 14th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I did my first OW swim last summer. It was a blast. There were so many unknowns. So much anticipation, anxiety, fear, excitement, ect. Now that I have swum it once, will the second time (third time, fourth, N times...) be as exciting?

I did half marathon with my wife years ago, the Race to Robie Creek in Boise. It was 8 miles uphill, then 5 down. It was fun, but mainly for the same reasons; it was new, exciting, unknown, beautiful sights, ect. The second year (I ran the first year as a bandit) I ran it, it wasn't as fun as the first. I don't enjoy running like I do swimming, so I am hoping that is the case.

Thoughts?

chaos
January 14th, 2010, 01:40 PM
i've logged almost 150 OW swims for the past decade..... every one of them a learning experience, and exciting in their own way.

E=H2O
January 14th, 2010, 01:48 PM
i've logged almost 150 OW swims for the past decade..... every one of them a learning experience

My favorite part of the sport. No 2 races are ever the same even at the same venue.

Lump
January 14th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Yup, everyone is different and conditions are usually always different as well!

jim clemmons
January 14th, 2010, 03:59 PM
i've logged almost 150 OW swims for the past decade..... every one of them a learning experience, and exciting in their own way.

Reminds me of sex.:bliss:

I see no women had posted so thought I'd keep this between us guys. :cool:

pwb
January 14th, 2010, 06:58 PM
My favorite part of the sport. No 2 races are ever the same even at the same venue.

Yup, everyone is different and conditions are usually always different as well!

Absolutely. I've done one race now four years in a row and its different every time. Plus, the more 'party/energetic' atmosphere that I see at OW races makes them even more fun than pool racing.

Reminds me of sex

... that you're waiting to see if the second time is still as fun as the first?

jim clemmons
January 14th, 2010, 07:24 PM

No, the part ..... every one of them a learning experience, and exciting in their own way. :banana:

jim clemmons
January 14th, 2010, 07:26 PM

And then there's this part ...everyone is different and conditions are usually always different as well!

srcoyote
January 14th, 2010, 07:34 PM
My second stunk, but not enough to deter me from a 3rd, a 4th, etc. 100+ degree weather. Drove two hours in my no A/C Jeep, swam un-prepared and over confident, added a minute to my 3K time and drove two hours back nearly passing out. I more than made up for it a couple of weeks later in #3, though -- a double-crossing of the Ohio River in downtwon Cincinnati. And later in the season was #4, my first Big Shoulders, which was more fun than I can describe.

I even returned to the scene of #2 this past season. Still swam an awful 3K, but now that site has become my nemesis and it must be conquered.