PDA

View Full Version : SWIMMER Magazine

Editor
January 14th, 2010, 08:41 PM
By now it has become apparent that the January/February issue of SWIMMER has been delayed. Fear not, it is shipping now and should arrive soon. My sincere apologies to all our readers; we are working very hard to get the publication back on schedule in the next few issues. We hope you are enjoying the changes we are making to SWIMMER and, please, continue to send in your feedback and suggestions.

As always, you can contact me directly at editor@usms.org.

jeffsab
January 22nd, 2010, 01:56 PM
It's a week later and I still haven't received mine.

BR KnuckleDragger
January 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
By now it has become apparent that the January/February issue of SWIMMER has been delayed. Fear not, it is shipping now and should arrive soon. My sincere apologies to all our readers; we are working very hard to get the publication back on schedule in the next few issues. We hope you are enjoying the changes we are making to SWIMMER and, please, continue to send in your feedback and suggestions.

As always, you can contact me directly at editor@usms.org.

Did they ship? I haven't rec'd mine neither

joy
January 22nd, 2010, 04:19 PM
It's the 22nd and I live in Oregon and haven't received mine either.

swimshark
January 22nd, 2010, 08:37 PM
I usually get mine about 3 weeks after everyone else. So once you all get yours, let me know so I can look for mine in a few weeks.

Allen Stark
January 22nd, 2010, 10:03 PM
I haven't gotten mine yet either.

jessicafk11
January 23rd, 2010, 12:18 PM
I haven't gotten mine either but I tend to get it long after everyone else . . .

jim thornton
January 23rd, 2010, 12:33 PM
Patience! Good things come to he/she who waits!

Actually, with USMS recently moving their offices down to Sarasota, and knowing a bit about how complicated getting a magazine out can be, I urge us in the rank and file to cut Laura, the new editor, some slack.

Good luck to you, Laura!

Editor
January 23rd, 2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks Jim, I appreciate that. And yes, according to our subcontractor, the magazine is shipping. There were delays. Some within our control, which are being addressed internally, and some beyond our control at this time.

Again, my apologies to everyone; I hope to have things back on schedule over the next few months. We are making changes and improvements in several areas of our member communications and hope you feel that once we get back on schedule, it will have been worth the wait.

As always, I am accessible at editor@usms.org.

Typhoons Coach
January 23rd, 2010, 10:31 PM
Definitely looking forward to getting the magazine!! Thanks for the updates, Laura!

elise526
January 24th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Will I still get one even though I waited until January 5 to register for USMS?

Editor
January 24th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks Andy-- and Elise, I PMd you with some info re: your reg date and the magazine.

DPC
January 25th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I received mine on Friday 22nd - we tend to get thing later in general, so it's odd that others are farther behind.

Karen Duggan
January 25th, 2010, 12:43 PM
In CA haven't received mine yet. Maybe in the mail today? :agree:

jim thornton
January 25th, 2010, 03:28 PM
In CA haven't received mine yet. Maybe in the mail today? :agree:

Do you know how many exhausted ponies must run themselves almost to death to make if from Sarasota to California?

Plus I think that even the bravest of Pony Express riders are nervous about cross the Donner Pass this time of year.

pwolf66
January 25th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Got mine today!!!!!!

orca1946
January 25th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Just think of it as a really long set before we get the new readings !!

__steve__
January 25th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Got my first SWIMMER mag today!

I like the stretching article, good info to know

Karen Duggan
January 26th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Jim- I think the horses are lost!
Still no magazine in Northern CA : (

jim thornton
January 26th, 2010, 01:59 PM
The riders have begun eating the back leg of one of the ponies. Snow depth in the Donner Pass: 17 feet.

Karen Duggan
January 26th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I went to college at Chico State. One night after the bars closed we went to the local diner that was just packed, and there were about 14 of us. We gave our name and 14 and proceeded to wait 45 min. When the waitress called our name and said "Dave, party of 14" my brother answered and said, "No we're down to 13, we were hungry!"
To this day when we have a large group the (sick) joke is "Donner, party of 14 your table is ready."
:D

jim thornton
January 26th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I went to college at Chico State. One night after the bars closed we went to the local diner that was just packed, and there were about 14 of us. We gave our name and 14 and proceeded to wait 45 min. When the waitress called our name and said "Dave, party of 14" my brother answered and said, "No we're down to 13, we were hungry!"
To this day when we have a large group the (sick) joke is "Donner, party of 14 your table is ready."

Hahahaha!

In the course of interviewing people for various articles over the years, I actually met a couple Donners once, and one Earp.

They were descendants of their respective cowboy legend namesakes.

I don't remember what I asked them, but I am pretty sure it didn't have anything to do with gun-slinging or cannibalism or, for that matter, bad restaurant service.

swimshark
January 26th, 2010, 03:39 PM
The riders have begun eating the back leg of one of the ponies. Snow depth in the Donner Pass: 17 feet.

No, they are at Wolfie's house. He's an hour from me and got his magazine already. I swear my carrier must like to read mine. I usually get mine about 2 weeks after people start talking about getting theirs, if I get mine at all.

tjrpatt
January 26th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Got mine yesterday.

joy
January 26th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Still none in Oregon for me

mpmartin
January 26th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I got mine today in South Jersey.

Swimmy
January 26th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I got mine today.

Bobinator
January 26th, 2010, 10:58 PM
none in central Indiana yet!

Allen Stark
January 27th, 2010, 12:04 AM
In Oregon and got mine today,how about you Joy?

Muppet
January 27th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Every 2 months, a new thread pops up about the magazine, and if it isn't about the thing being late, it always turns into "I haven't gotten mine yet." And every time I wonder how many would notice their magazine hadn't arrived if no one (in this case, Laura starting this thread) said anything about it.

I for one hadn't noticed. I got mine on the 25th, by the way, and no, I haven't read it yet. I'm glad to get it at all and doesn't really matter when it comes as long as it comes.

smontanaro
January 27th, 2010, 07:00 AM
You'd almost think SWIMMER was their only link to the outside world... :D

swimshark
January 27th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I for one hadn't noticed. I got mine on the 25th, by the way, and no, I haven't read it yet. I'm glad to get it at all and doesn't really matter when it comes as long as it comes.

Sometimes it's nice to have this thread because them we know when we don't get one at all, which for me happens about once a year.

pwolf66
January 27th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Every 2 months, a new thread pops up about the magazine, and if it isn't about the thing being late, it always turns into "I haven't gotten mine yet." And every time I wonder how many would notice their magazine hadn't arrived if no one (in this case, Laura starting this thread) said anything about it.

I would have. I see the icon for the magazine show up on the site and then I start counting. It's been 5-6 days after it shows up on the site that I receive mine.

Karen Duggan
January 27th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I'm hopeful today.
I like it for the meet sheets. I can't always print them from on-line : )
We have a meet coming up that I want to pre-enter, because this meet is pretty big, and there are a lot of deck entries.
I'm not in the habit of counting the days until I get it, but I am happy when it comes.

When is it supposed to arrive? The first of the month, the middle?

TinaA
January 27th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I just got mine in Seattle yesterday.

joy
January 27th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Alan
U might have to share. No sign of it yet.

scyfreestyler
January 27th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I'm hopeful today.
I like it for the meet sheets. I can't always print them from on-line : )
We have a meet coming up that I want to pre-enter, because this meet is pretty big, and there are a lot of deck entries.
I'm not in the habit of counting the days until I get it, but I am happy when it comes.

When is it supposed to arrive? The first of the month, the middle?

USF Valentines Affair?

Karen Duggan
January 27th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Si, senor Matteo.
You going?

scyfreestyler
January 27th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Myself and two others from our mini club will be there. I've heard this is a big meet. How many swimmers would you say?

E=H2O
January 27th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Alan
U might have to share. No sign of it yet.

Joy
I got mine today. Have you checked your mail?

Bob

FireRox21
January 27th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Ontario, California here. I received mine yesterday.

Bobinator
January 27th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I got mine today! I'm quoted on page 31! :)

joy
January 28th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Still nothing and hoping it will be there tonite. I check my mail every evening
after work.

BillS
January 28th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I got mine a couple days ago, Joy.

Karen Duggan
January 28th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Pacific will finally be last in SOMETHING!!!
:lmao:

Still don't have it.

swimshark
January 28th, 2010, 07:02 PM

Still don't have it.

Nope. I'm in VA, only a short drive from some like Wolf and yet I don't have mine yet.

E=H2O
January 28th, 2010, 07:06 PM
This thread is one of the most popular posts on the website and getting almost as long as the magazine. Maybe someone could scan the magazine and post it. :-)

swimshark
January 28th, 2010, 07:50 PM
This thread is one of the most popular posts on the website and getting almost as long as the magazine. Maybe someone could scan the magazine and post it. :-)

:applaud::applaud:

orca1946
January 28th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Just got it today !:applaud:

Allen Stark
January 29th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Thank you Laura and crew for the magazine.I have really enjoyed the direction SWIMMER has taken.

orca1946
January 29th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Cool fold out in the middle - opps on the chicago big shoulders swim date ?

Editor
January 29th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks Allen, we appreciate the compliment and are glad you are enjoying the magazine.

And yes, Orca, unfortunately we did get the date wrong on Big Shoulders-- the erratum is on the letters page, with the correct date.

aquageek
January 29th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I have to say the poster is pretty sweet.

Hold up, is this really SWIMMER magazine? I can't find an article about Chris Stevenson.

poolraat
January 29th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Still waiting for mine.

moodyrichardson
January 29th, 2010, 06:27 PM
In Tennessee. Still waiting for mine.

joy
January 29th, 2010, 10:45 PM
:bliss:
YEEEEEEEH Finally arrived. Now everything is peaceful.

Karen Duggan
January 30th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Got mine today as well.
Thanks USMS :)

jim thornton
January 30th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Got mine today as well.
Thanks USMS :)

Karen, it is now Jan. 30th.

Report back here when you have actually read it!

Chris Stevenson
January 30th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Karen, it is now Jan. 30th.

Report back here when you have actually read it!

Jim, I enjoyed your article a lot. And my wife and I agreed that the picture on the first page was classic.

Midas
January 30th, 2010, 04:43 PM

Still don't have it.

I always figured we got ours late in Pacific Masters due to the Pacific Masters Newsletter that needs to get stapled in.

I got mine too, and I have to echo Allen that I really am enjoying the magazine. It has always been strong, but it keeps getting better and more relevant with every issue. Keep up the great work!

ViveBene
January 30th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Got mine today, but I live on the Third Coast.
:)
Some of the out-of-favor stretches have been so for a while.

KEWebb18
January 30th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I agree with the stretches being bad for your shoulders. Thanks for putting this in.
I FINALLY received mine yesterday...thanks for everyone hyping it up, I couldn't wait to read it :)

Karen Duggan
January 30th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Jim-
I actually have only had time to peruse the Natls info, and flipping through I saw you wrote an article. Not surprising, it is a LONG article :lmao: I haven't read it yet, but I hope to soon.
And the insert I so anxiously awaited reading, no time, yet.

swimshark
January 30th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Got ours yesterday. Guess Pacific and Southern Pacific tie. We both have our newsletters as inserts in the magazine, but that has nothing to do with delivery time, I've been told in the past. The difference is that we're on the left coast and the printer is a long way away.

I'm on the east coast. I can get mail from my parents in Atlanta in 2 days. I still don't have my Swimmer Mag.:confused:

Karen Duggan
January 30th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Hey Alison!
We have 2, b/c we each get one. I'll send you one of ours and we'll see if we can beat SWIMMER magazine!

kristilynn
January 30th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I still don't have mine. Boise always seems to be last on the mailing list. Can anyone tell me if it mentions whether or not both the 1000 and the 1650 can be swum at Nats?

Chris Stevenson
January 30th, 2010, 11:29 PM
I still don't have mine. Boise always seems to be last on the mailing list. Can anyone tell me if it mentions whether or not both the 1000 and the 1650 can be swum at Nats?

It says you can swim either the 1000 or the 1650 (but not both).

kristilynn
January 31st, 2010, 06:56 PM
It says you can swim either the 1000 or the 1650 (but not both).

Grrrr.... I hate that! What's a distance girl to do??? 1000 or mile, 1000 or mile... oh the stress. :badday:The only time that I swam the mile and not the 1000 at Nats was in Federal Way. It was my worst mile time in ages. I think that I need the 1000 before hand to get into my groove. Then again, the only time that I've swum the 1000 and not the mile at Nats was in Austin, and I swam a PB. I HATE making decisions!

tjrpatt
January 31st, 2010, 08:02 PM
Grrrr.... I hate that! What's a distance girl to do??? 1000 or mile, 1000 or mile... oh the stress. :badday:The only time that I swam the mile and not the 1000 at Nats was in Federal Way. It was my worst mile time in ages. I think that I need the 1000 before hand to get into my groove. Then again, the only time that I've swum the 1000 and not the mile at Nats was in Austin, and I swam a PB. I HATE making decisions!

do the mile and get the 1000 split. I choose the 1500 at Indy this summer and still got a No. 2 ranking from my 800 split.

jim thornton
February 1st, 2010, 10:01 AM
Jim, I enjoyed your article a lot. And my wife and I agreed that the picture on the first page was classic.

Thanks, Chris. I would just like to point out that the plump human walrus depicted here is NOT me.

I look more like a fatted human otter.

swimshark
February 1st, 2010, 11:04 AM
Hey Alison!
We have 2, b/c we each get one. I'll send you one of ours and we'll see if we can beat SWIMMER magazine!

Karen, we should try this since I still don't have mine.

Chris Stevenson
February 1st, 2010, 11:22 AM
Hold up, is this really SWIMMER magazine? I can't find an article about Chris Stevenson.

I'm in there, just not mentioned by name. Some letter-writer felt obliged to point out the basic awfulness of my freestyle.

qbrain
February 1st, 2010, 12:27 PM
I'm in there, just not mentioned by name. Some letter-writer felt obliged to point out the basic awfulness of my freestyle.

My letter got published!

j/k

Still no Swimmer mag in North Texas.

BigNoodler
February 1st, 2010, 01:02 PM

I saw that - and I rarely read any of the mag. Just further adds to my confusion as to how to swim *perfect* fly or free, etc. If the World Record holders don't get it right (and I'm guessing this up for debate), how do we mere mortals swim *perfect?*

BigNoodler
February 1st, 2010, 01:03 PM

Yep. I feel your pain on the distance events. Pays to be a sprinter I see. Imagine them limiting the number of 50s one could swim! :)

sjstuart
February 1st, 2010, 01:28 PM
Imagine them limiting the number of 50s one could swim! :)

I'm pretty sure you can't swim more than four...

BigNoodler
February 1st, 2010, 01:37 PM
I'm pretty sure you can't swim more than four...

Unless you count split requests. . .

Karen Duggan
February 1st, 2010, 02:25 PM
Kristilynn-
I'm in. PM me your address and I'll send it to you. The race is on! If I send it today I bet you get it by Wed.

Or, actually, I'm hoping to visit my uncle in Nampa this Spring. I can bring it then. :lmao:

swimshark
February 1st, 2010, 03:12 PM
Kristilynn-
I'm in. PM me your address and I'll send it to you. The race is on! If I send it today I bet you get it by Wed.

Or, actually, I'm hoping to visit my uncle in Nampa this Spring. I can bring it then. :lmao:

Karen, did you mean me?

Karen Duggan
February 1st, 2010, 04:03 PM
I did Alison- I'm sorry!
Yep, you game?

kristilynn
February 1st, 2010, 09:08 PM
Karen, You're still welcome to look me up when you come to Nampa. My mag still didn't arrive in today's mail, so you may get to me before it does :-)

swimshark
February 2nd, 2010, 07:52 AM
I did Alison- I'm sorry!
Yep, you game?

I'm game since I still don't have mine. Waiting... waiting... waiting...

Karen Duggan
February 2nd, 2010, 12:54 PM
It's on the way. My hubby mailed it this AM.
:bliss: (just picture a magazine in the smileys hand!)

debaru
February 2nd, 2010, 01:22 PM
Has anyone in Arizona received their copy of the magazine? As of yesterday, I still haven't gotten mine.

swimshark
February 2nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
It's on the way. My hubby mailed it this AM.
:bliss: (just picture a magazine in the smileys hand!)

Thanks. I'll let you know which one wins.

poolraat
February 2nd, 2010, 04:57 PM
Has anyone in Arizona received their copy of the magazine? As of yesterday, I still haven't gotten mine.

I'm in Northeastern Nevada and still waiting for mine.

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 3rd, 2010, 12:46 PM
I think the mag is getting better.

spell_me
February 3rd, 2010, 08:34 PM

Yes, but it only came yesterday. I bet yours came today--or will come tomorrow.:coffee:

kristilynn
February 3rd, 2010, 09:39 PM
My magazine finally arrived! In the editorial where the writer picks on Chris's freestyle technique, I noticed that he used poor grammar, "...too optimize..." So don't feel so bad Chris, at least you can spell!

debaru
February 4th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Yes, but it only came yesterday. I bet yours came today--or will come tomorrow.:coffee:

At this point I'm not counting on getting it at all. Gilbert is right next door to Mesa, so I can't figure out for the life of me why you got yours yesterday and I still didn't get mine today [sigh].

aztimm
February 4th, 2010, 10:49 AM

I still haven't seen mine, but I think someone in Scottsdale received his. Maybe the post offices in the SE Valley are holding out on us.

I've said this before and never received an answer, but is there a way to opt out of the magazine and pay less in USMS membership dues? Most of the time I receive it too late, torn, or not at all, and when I do get it I rarely look at it. Most info I need on swimming I can find online.

pwb
February 4th, 2010, 10:53 AM

I still haven't seen mine, but I think someone in Scottsdale received his. Maybe the post offices in the SE Valley are holding out on us.

I got mine up in Scottsdale sometime last week. I can't imagine why there are so many different arrival times. Would the SWIMMER distribution folks being sending these out in batches instead of one giant run?

Editor
February 4th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Hopefully this will help answer some questions posted here about why the magazine arrives in some places later than others, particularly in the western states.

When the magazine is ready to mail it is trucked to the Manchester, NH Post Office in one complete shipment and lodged accordingly, along with all required paperwork and postage payment. From that point on, it is entirely in the hands of the U.S. Postal Service.

Periodic paid postage is supposed to reach recipients within a ten day period.

There are, we believe, about 7 major USPS distribution points within the United States and we are told that SWIMMER is distributed to these by USPS within a two to three day period. From the distribution centers the magazines are sent to their various local post offices, some via a larger regional center, some direct.

Throughout the life of the magazine, mail deliveries to California in particular seem to take longer. We conducted research into why this was so and were advised that USPS is understaffed there and handling all mail takes a bit longer.

Thank you for all your comments and feedback.

Karen Duggan
February 4th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Laura-
Thanks for doing a great job with the magazine. :applaud:
I was just curious, is the magazine shipped to NH at the beg, middle or end of the month?

Thanks again, the magazine is fun to read. :agree:

Karen Duggan
WCM (where our pool is understaffed too!) :D

Editor
February 4th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Thank you Karen,

The magazine is actually printed right there in NH and driven to the Manchester post office.

Ideally that delivery should happen in the middle of the month, so that you receive your magazine right before or at the beginning of the issue months. For example, you should receive your Mar/Apr issue toward end of February. However we are not quite there yet. We are working toward that and hope to be on time in the next few issues. We expect the Mar/Apr issue to ship at the end of the first week of March, although it may be sooner.

Again, my apologies to everyone for taking this much time to get us back on schedule; I hope the quality and relevance of the content makes it worth it.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

swimshark
February 5th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks for letting us know about how its delivered. I just wish my post office didn't take so long to get me my copy. I'm still waiting for the one that went out Jan 22nd. I had a magazine mailed Jan 31st that already arrived so I know it's not all magazines.

swimshark
February 5th, 2010, 03:07 PM
And the winner is..... Karen's....:applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:

Yes, Karen's extra copy of SWIMMER, mailed from across the country arrived today. My copy, mailed from NH still hasn't arrived.

Thank you Karen. Now I can read and possibly comment on what people have been discussing on here in regards to the magazine.

Karen Duggan
February 5th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Wow.
I'm glad you have one to look at.
:agree:

Maybe check to be sure they have your right address?

swimshark
February 5th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Wow.
I'm glad you have one to look at.
:agree:

Maybe check to be sure they have your right address?

Thanks. It's a good read so far.

Jim actually confirmed my address and they have it right. I just don't get why I'm not getting the magazine until late, if at all.

poolraat
February 5th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Still waiting for mine to arrive. :bitching: :(

moodyrichardson
February 5th, 2010, 08:45 PM
YAY!! Got mine in the mail yesterday. I've already read it cover to cover. Excellent issue!!

debaru
February 6th, 2010, 08:35 PM
After I had given up all hope of ever receiving my magazine, it finally appeared in my mailbox today. :bliss:

jeffsab
February 6th, 2010, 09:52 PM
After I had given up all hope of ever receiving my magazine, it finally appeared in my mailbox today. :bliss:

I think it's time for me to give up hope. No magazine for me yet. Maybe I ought to check to see if I'm even in the database.

aztimm
February 6th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Mine arrived in the mail today too.

debaru
February 7th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I think it's time for me to give up hope. No magazine for me yet. Maybe I ought to check to see if I'm even in the database.

I've got my fingers crossed that you'll get yours Monday.

When I got mine on Saturday, the first thing I noticed is that the mailing label wasn't in the lower right corner, unlike every other magazine I get. Also, the vertical height is about 1/2 inch taller than every other magazine I get in the mail.

Both of these things lead me to wonder whether the Post Office has difficulty sorting/handling SWIMMER magazine, which could easily explain why it takes so long for them to reach their destination. Depending on the post office, some may have the technology to deal with the anomalies, while others may not? Any postal workers on the forum who could possibly shed some light on this?

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but given how many magazines I subscribe to, I've never experienced anything like this before and it has me both puzzled and curious.

swimshark
February 8th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Well, right now we have almost 3 feet of snow so I'm not expecting mail, yet alone the magazine. :banana: But as of yesterday my mail box has been dug out. My shoulders are sore!

jim thornton
February 9th, 2010, 09:41 AM
The U.S. Postal Service should have never bought that fleet of Toyotas.

Karen Duggan
February 9th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Jim- I finally got to read your article. It was very well written and I enjoyed it. You get an A. :agree:
Have they asked you to be on staff yet? :D

jim thornton
February 9th, 2010, 04:17 PM
will scriven for health insurance

jeffsab
February 10th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Yeah! I got mine today.

poolraat
February 11th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Yea!!! mine finally came in yesterday's mail. :bliss:

juliewharton
February 23rd, 2010, 09:26 AM
STILL no magazine.....good grief, I can't even blame it on the weather. I live in Florida!

pendaluft
February 23rd, 2010, 09:36 AM
Didn't get mine either -- but the Bronx is often last to get all sorts of things!

:blah:

swimshark
February 23rd, 2010, 09:36 AM
Still none here, except the one Karen sent me. Our mail service has been back to normal for over a week now so it's not the weather here, either.

orca1946
February 23rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
This year, are there more ads than pages to read ?

jim thornton
February 23rd, 2010, 10:16 AM
This year, are there more ads than pages to read ?

There are almost always more ads than stories to read in financially successful magazines. If you can hit around a 60-40 percent ad to editorial ratio, that's pretty good.

Editor
February 23rd, 2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks for your question Orca. As Jim stated, many financially successful magazines maintain a 60/40 Ad to editorial ratio (more ads than content).

However, SWIMMER is not designed to be a moneymaker, but rather a member benefit. With that in mind, our editorial content is usually around 70%, with 30% devoted to ads. Our guidelines actually allow for 40% ads, but we don't usually go there.

debaru
February 23rd, 2010, 03:45 PM
However, SWIMMER is not designed to be a moneymaker, but rather a member benefit.

Laura,

This is my first issue of SWIMMER since joining Masters last November and I am very pleased with the content. It did take awhile for mine to arrive, but it was worth the wait.

Regarding the ads, I have to compliment you on choosing to not place tear-out cards in the magazine. I subscribe to some big name mags and cannot believe how many of these things I find in each issue -- a total waste of precious resources (not to mention really annoying).

Keep up the good work. I'm really looking forward to the next issue.

Debbie

fatboy
February 23rd, 2010, 06:04 PM
Regarding the ads, I have to compliment you on choosing to not place tear-out cards in the magazine. I subscribe to some big name mags and cannot believe how many of these things I find in each issue -- a total waste of precious resources (not to mention really annoying).

I have to agree! Thanks for not using tear-out cards! Very beautiful paper and print quality too!

I always enjoy the magazine.

poolraat
February 23rd, 2010, 08:07 PM

I despise tear out cards. The first thing I do with a magazine that has them, is tear them out and throw them in the trash.

swimshark
February 24th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I despise tear out cards. The first thing I do with a magazine that has them, is tear them out and throw them in the trash.

Same here and I'm glad Swimmer doesn't use them. I'm sure the reason they don't is that it's not a magazine sold on the news stand and usually those tear outs are to sell more subscriptions.

juliewharton
February 24th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I'm not fond of the tear outs either-but I have to admit they are useful as bookmarks.

Editor
February 24th, 2010, 08:43 AM
This is my first issue of SWIMMER since joining Masters last November and I am very pleased with the content. It did take awhile for mine to arrive, but it was worth the wait.

Regarding the ads, I have to compliment you on choosing to not place tear-out cards in the magazine ...

Keep up the good work. I'm really looking forward to the next issue.

Thank you Debbie! We appreciate the feedback.

smontanaro
February 24th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I'm not fond of the tear outs either-but I have to admit they are useful as bookmarks.

How many books do you read at one time? :confused: