PDA

View Full Version : Open Water Swimwear for 2010

heatherhagadorn
January 25th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Belated Newsflash: Nothing has changed for 2010 USMS Open Water Swimwear rules! Nothing will change when/if FINA updates its open water swimwear rules in June!

USMS rules for open water allow for the same swimwear as in 2009. Information regarding legal 2009 swimsuits are located on the Rules Page: http://www.usms.org/rules/.

Feel free to send me (Heather Hagadorn, Long Distance Chair) a private email if you have any questions or would like more information: LongDistanceATusmsDOTorg

The USMS swimwear rules that apply to 2010 Open Water events are:

303.6 Swimwear
303.6.1 Swimwear shall be the same as defined in articles 102.14.1 and 102.14.7 <online rulebook will be updated to reflect this>. Goggles, ear plugs,
watches, and grease shall be allowed. The suit shall be made of a porous
material.
102.14.1 Design-The swimsuits worn for competition shall be nontransparent and conform to the current concept of the appropriate. The referee shall have authority to bar offenders from competition until they comply with this rule.

102.14.7 Advertising-Products involving tobacco, alcohol or pharmaceuticals containing drugs banned under IOC or FINA rules may not be advertised, but the advertiser's name only may be used. Offenders may be barred from competition until they comply with this rule.
303.6.2 Swim cap(s), including those made of neoprene, may be permitted. Swim
caps shall be defined as head gear conforming to a traditional swim cap
design and shall not extend to protect the neck or shoulders.
303.6.3 Wetsuits may be allowed at the discretion of the event director when the
water temperature does not exceed 78F. If awards are given to wetsuit
competitors, they shall be awarded separately from those for non-wetsuit
competitors. Any published results or records must clearly indicate which
swimmers wore wetsuits.
303.6.4 Devices used to maintain body heat are illegal, except for those listed in
articles 303.6.1, 303.6.2 and 303.6.3.
303.6.5 Flotation or propulsive devices are not permitted, apart from those listed in
articles 303.6.2 and 303.6.3, except in designated events where all swimmers
are using similar devices.
303.6.6 A wrist watch may be worn in open water competition.

Note: The house of delegates, long distance, and open water development committees will have the opportunity to consider new open water swimwear rules when they meet at the annual convention in September, 2010 - but not before then.

E=H2O
January 25th, 2010, 09:54 PM
303.6.2 Swim cap(s), including those made of neoprene, may be permitted.

Does this mean that the race director may allow or is it the swimmer that decides. if a swimmer elects to wear one does that push them into a wetsuit catagorie or do they remain in the non wetsuit category?

drmdive
January 28th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Heather, if that is true, then what is this?

http://www.dailynewsofopenwaterswimming.com/2010/01/mastering-rules.html

Looks like decisions are still being made about full swimsuits for USMS open water competitions?

Steven Munatones
January 29th, 2010, 10:43 AM
At the time this article was posted, it was true. Heather has now announced the official position of USMS, as her position authorizes her to do, and the information will be updated within a few minutes.

orca1946
January 29th, 2010, 11:52 AM
So confusing ??:afraid:

Kevin in MD
February 3rd, 2010, 01:29 PM
03.6 Swimwear
303.6.1 Swimwear shall be the same as defined in articles 102.14.1 and 102.14.7 <online rulebook will be updated to reflect this>. Goggles, ear plugs,
watches, and grease shall be allowed. The suit shall be made of a porous
material.

So I take it that the polyurethane impermeable suits are out. The Blue Seventy for example.

E=H2O
February 3rd, 2010, 01:37 PM
The suit shall be made of a porous
material.

So I take it that the polyurethane impermeable suits are out. The Blue Seventy for example.

I wonder . . . . could I rub a thin layer of grease into my suit . . . . it would no longer be porous . . . . Mmmm. Someone is bound to try it sooner or later, but for best results you should probably wear a smaller size. :-)

RuffWater
February 3rd, 2010, 01:39 PM
This is stupid.

Lump
February 3rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
This is stupid.

That sums it up.:applaud: Put on a brief or jammer and go.

Chicken of the Sea
February 3rd, 2010, 04:38 PM
Lump,
Lake Michigan anxiously awaits your brief/jammer clad immersion!

Lump
February 3rd, 2010, 09:07 PM
Lump,
Lake Michigan anxiously awaits your brief/jammer clad immersion!

If I can get my "career" straightened out then I definitely want to take that dip! Would love to do Big Shoulders!

Chicken of the Sea
February 4th, 2010, 12:31 AM
What is this thing you call a "career"? It sounds vaguely familiar.....teach me..

Well the Great Lakes aren't going anywhere so you're welcome any time. Of course, you might have to help me fight off the Asian Carp next time you stop by!