PDA

View Full Version : Auburn Invitational

.MuNkeY.
January 27th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Joji and i'm a newly registered masters swimmer : ) was wondering if anyone was looking for a roommate or knows anyone to room with to the Auburn invitational.:bed:

can't wait to swim!

Glider
January 28th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Hey Joji. See you at Auburn...ummm...and at FPY shortly with my little swimmers, say about 7:15:D Go Fins!

Oh, and welcome to masters swimming!

You Know Who

Hello everyone,

My name is Joji and i'm a newly registered masters swimmer : ) was wondering if anyone was looking for a roommate or knows anyone to room with to the Auburn invitational.:bed:

can't wait to swim!

Glider
February 9th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Psych Sheets are up here (http://www.ag.auburn.edu/%7Ebailelc/masters.html). Looks like a big meet.

BigNoodler
February 9th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Word of the day - sandbag

want2beafish
February 9th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I WISH my times were sandbagged. At least I'd have an excuse. :badday:

Lump
February 9th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Is the whole meet swam as mixed or will they break us out into age groups?

hnatkin
February 9th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Mixed by seed time. See you Sat!

Glider
February 9th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Who, moi???? Swimming 9 events...some call it energy conservation:afraid:

Word of the day - sandbag

Glider
February 9th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Yes, it's all swum mixed. Then they break it out by gender and age for scoring purposes.

Is the whole meet swam as mixed or will they break us out into age groups?

Glider
February 9th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Good grief...I'm swimming my 100 Breaststroke right next to Mark Gangloff. You might remember him from the 2008 Olympic team, iirc. He entered with a 54.0. No fair:cool:

BigNoodler
February 9th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Who, moi???? Swimming 9 events...some call it energy conservation:afraid:

LOL! I don't know your times. Guilty parties are me (swimming 10 beginning w/ the mile); one of my teammates that I train with (mega sandbagging :D) and a few other people whose times I'm familiar with. :)

Lump
February 10th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Good grief...I'm swimming my 100 Breaststroke right next to Mark Gangloff. You might remember him from the 2008 Olympic team, iirc. He entered with a 54.0. No fair:cool:

I saw that.....have fun with that one! :D

Donna
February 10th, 2010, 08:44 AM

Good Luck GLIDER!!!! Maybe you can draft off of him.

Glider
February 10th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I thought about that...But really how much benefit do you get drafting for 4 or 5 yards before he's out of sight and the whole effect is over and done with.:D

Good Luck GLIDER!!!! Maybe you can draft off of him.

Lump
February 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I thought about that...But really how much benefit do you get drafting for 4 or 5 yards before he's out of sight and the whole effect is over and done with.:D

LOL...yeah, unfortunately we are like muscle cars from the 60's vs. the lastest high tech supercars! :D

hnatkin
February 10th, 2010, 04:33 PM
On the bright side, how many people can say they were seeded in the same heat with Mark Gangloff (or any Olympian for that matter).

Donna
February 10th, 2010, 09:20 PM
On the bright side, how many people can say they were seeded in the same heat with Mark Gangloff (or any Olympian for that matter).

Good way to look at it. I had the fun of swimming in the same heat as Susan Von Der Lippe in the 200 Fly a few years back, nice to see she was done and I still had 75 more to go.... Now You too can have this wonderful experience but I am sure you will be alot closer to him than I was to her.

Go Get him!

Glider
February 11th, 2010, 04:50 PM
The psych sheet has been updated here (http://www.ag.auburn.edu/%7Ebailelc/masters.html).

******Important meet notice******

WEATHER ISSUES BEING MONITORED: 8:35 A.M. ON THURSDAY FEB. 11TH

We are watching weather develop in east-central Alabama for the weekend. The weather forecast as of Thursday morning is for clear skies and highs in the upper 40s on Saturday and Sunday. However, a winter storm will blow through on Friday. Auburn is projected to receive 1-3 inches of snow during the day on Friday. The storm should pass by Friday evening. Temperatures will be below freezing on Friday night. This may affect driving conditions Saturday morning. Please leave plenty of time and drive safely. At this point we do not foresee the need to cancel or postpone the meet. We will post weather updates on this web page Friday and Saturday. Those traveling from the Eastern Time Zone should remember that Auburn is in the Central Time Zone.

Lump
February 11th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Only if they cancel the meet will I not be there.

hnatkin
February 11th, 2010, 08:51 PM
What is it with the weather on Valentine's weekend in the South.Two years running we have tornado warnings and now a snowstorm?!

Glider
February 12th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Weather Update from the Auburn Masters site (http://www.ag.auburn.edu/%7Ebailelc/masters.html):

WEATHER ISSUES BEING MONITORED: 5:20 P.M. ON THURSDAY FEB. 11TH

FORECASTS FOR AUBURN ARE 3-5 INCHES OF SNOW ON FRIDAY, WITH PRECIPITATION ENDING EARLY EVENING. TEMPERATURES BELOW FREEZING OVERNIGHT. SATURDAY AND SUNDAY ARE PROJECTED TO HAVE CLEAR SKIES AND WEATHER IN THE 40s. THE MEET IS STILL "ON" AT THIS POINT, BUT WE WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR CONDITIONS. AMONG OPTIONS BEING CONSIDERED ARE DELAYING START OF EVENTS, MOVING 1650 LATER IN DAY, ETC. NO DECISIONS HAVE BEEN MADE ON EITHER OF THESE OR OTHER OPTIONS. CLASSES HAVE BEEN CANCELLED ON THE AUBURN UNIVERSITY CAMPUS FOR FRIDAY.

bmswim
February 12th, 2010, 09:59 AM
About to get on the road and head to Auburn. Hope they don't cancel this meet.

Glider
February 12th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I think we'll be fine. Btw, I went to Tulane and swam on the team for 5 years. I lived uptown near the university. Where abouts are you?

Drive carefully.

About to get on the road and head to Auburn. Hope they don't cancel this meet.

bmswim
February 12th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I am on the Westbank about 10 minutes from the heart of New Orleans. See you at the meet .

Glider
February 12th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Anybody notice in the revised Psych sheet that Fred Bosquet is now entered in the 50 Free at 19.0.

Dayam. Two 2008 Olympians in this humble little meet.:bow:

Lump
February 12th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Anybody notice in the revised Psych sheet that Fred Bosquet is now entered in the 50 Free at 19.0.

Dayam. Two 2008 Olympian in this humble little meet.:bow:

I can take him!!:banana:

Glider
February 12th, 2010, 12:47 PM
And by that you mean, sit on him so he can't swim:D

ZZZZZZZiiiiiiinnnnnnnnggggg:bump:

I can take him!!:banana:

Lump
February 12th, 2010, 12:54 PM
And by that you mean, sit on him so he can't swim:D

ZZZZZZZiiiiiiinnnnnnnnggggg:bump:

I'd be first to get on the blocks!:D

Personally, I'd LOVE to be in his heat. I know I wouldn't get lapped and I know I'd at least be on the same lap as him!

Glider
February 12th, 2010, 01:00 PM
LOL. Exactly my thinking with Gangloff - first on the blocks. :whiteflag: It's important to have goals in swimming, right.:thhbbb::lmao:

I'd be first to get on the blocks!:D

Personally, I'd LOVE to be in his heat. I know I wouldn't get lapped and I know I'd at least be on the same lap as him!

Lump
February 14th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Well, GREAT meet put on by the Auburn Masters at a first class facility! I had a great time and a great meet (despite the "iffy" weather getting there Sat)

A couple AMAZING swims by a couple Olympians Fred Bousquet and Mark Gangloff!!! Freddy did a 18.67 (a personal best according to Wikipedia) and Gangloff went 48. in the 100 IM and 52.4 in the 100 Breast. Talk about shot out of a cannon....they ARE torpedos!

BTW, I'll let GLIDER give you the play by play as he got to swim next to Gangloff in the 100 Breast!! :D

Glider
February 14th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Let's see, here's the short version of the play-by-play...I did ask him to swim on my side of his lane so I could drag off him. He said sure, no problem. He's a nice enough guy. I did beat him onto the block. From there it was all down the tubes.

I mean...as I went to start my first underwater pullout, he was already a full body length ahead. But I still had some hope. Then I took my first breakout stroke, and I think he was already into his first turn. At this point, I was just hoping that he wouldn't lap me on a 100. So he went :52 and I went 1:04. Sheesh :drown:

Well, GREAT meet put on by the Auburn Masters at a first class facility! I had a great time and a great meet (despite the "iffy" weather getting there Sat)

A couple AMAZING swims by a couple Olympians Fred Bousquet and Mark Gangloff!!! Freddy did a 18.67 (a personal best according to Wikipedia) and Gangloff went 48. in the 100 IM and 52.4 in the 100 Breast. Talk about shot out of a cannon....they ARE torpedos!

BTW, I'll let GLIDER give you the play by play as he got to swim next to Gangloff in the 100 Breast!! :D

Donna
February 14th, 2010, 09:46 PM
It looked like everyone did well. Hope everyone had fun and is getting ready for Nationals!!!

Lump
February 15th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Results are already up too!:applaud:

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/~bailelc/2010.results.pdf

lmknight71
February 15th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Here are the new USMS records that Fred Bousquet and Mark Gangloff set at Auburn:

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/23396.asp?q=Fred%20Bousquet,%20Mark%20Gangloff%20P ost%20USMS%20National%20Records

Rocket men.

want2beafish
February 15th, 2010, 05:31 PM
What a meet!! I was compelled to write an email to Conner Bailey, as I can't imagine what he and his staff went through to put on this meet considering the dicey road conditions on Friday night and Saturday morning. And seemingly without a hitch. Weather nonwithstanding, it seemed as if every detail was addressed. This was my second Auburn meet, and I will be back without a doubt. And what a treat to watch Gangloff and Bousquet -- we definitely got our money's worth!

Conner Bailey
February 17th, 2010, 02:16 PM
As anyone who has run a meet before knows, there are a lot of people behind the scenes making it happen, before, during and after the meet. We have a group of people here who enjoy working together and making this great Auburn facility available. I can tell you there is an enormous sigh of relief when the meet is done and all has gone off without any major hitches - or at least hitches that affect swimmers getting ready to race. On behalf of the crew that puts on our annual event, thanks for the positive comments. Get ready for 2011 - we put on two events, our regular SCY Invitational and the LCM Championships. Yowza! Conner

Lump
February 20th, 2010, 10:41 PM
As anyone who has run a meet before knows, there are a lot of people behind the scenes making it happen, before, during and after the meet. We have a group of people here who enjoy working together and making this great Auburn facility available. I can tell you there is an enormous sigh of relief when the meet is done and all has gone off without any major hitches - or at least hitches that affect swimmers getting ready to race. On behalf of the crew that puts on our annual event, thanks for the positive comments. Get ready for 2011 - we put on two events, our regular SCY Invitational and the LCM Championships. Yowza! Conner

Conner, do you know if the results have been submitted for the the USMS database so that they are included for Top 50 results (individual)? Thanks again for a great meet!

Glider
February 26th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Lump, as you probably know, I sent an email to the SE LMSC chair copying Connor to see what the status is...I'll update when I find out more.

Conner, do you know if the results have been submitted for the the USMS database so that they are included for Top 50 results (individual)? Thanks again for a great meet!

Lump
February 26th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Lump, as you probably know, I sent an email to the SE LMSC chair copying Connor to see what the status is...I'll update when I find out more.

I emailed him this week directly, they will be up anytime now.:)

Donna
February 26th, 2010, 08:44 PM
The uploading of your results will no doubt beat the results from my meet in South Carolina. We all know how long that takes....:bed:

Glider
February 28th, 2010, 12:52 PM
And the results are in the Meet Results Database here (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/).

I emailed him this week directly, they will be up anytime now.:)

Donna
February 28th, 2010, 07:50 PM
See I told you your results would be entered before mine were... :)

Glider
February 28th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Sports Timing ran that meet, right? Good luck with that...

See I told you your results would be entered before mine were... :)

Donna
February 28th, 2010, 09:22 PM
No it was not run by Sports Timing this time. This was run by the club team, but I don't always expect them to get it in timely.

Thats ok, most of my times are in the USA database since I swim with the kids more than I do with Masters. Just a matter of convenience since I can swim side by side with the kids I coach. They know they can't pull a "you don't know how it feels" on me when I am out there with them!

I guess I will see you at Nationals since I will miss the St. Pats meet. My kids team has a meet that weekend and they are letting us Senior swimmers swim 50's:):):)

I just remind them I am an old 15 and over! The very definition of OVER!

Lump
March 1st, 2010, 08:54 AM
I just was a stickler about the times getting in there because I don't have any! Now that I do, its nice to see where I stack up. I'm gonna have some decisions to make about what to swim at Nationals. I'm mixing it up a bit at St. Pats and doing some different events just to see what happens (1000 Fr, 200 IM, 200 Back).

I think I'll hit the Clemson Meet beginning of May as my last meet before Nationals. I'll just swim maybe 2 events a day as a "tune up" for THE BIG SHOW.

Donna
March 4th, 2010, 08:53 PM
When in doubt go LONGGGGGG like the 1650 Free, 400 IM, 200 Fly...Always a winning lineup.

Donna
March 4th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Normally I have my entry in already but this time I am debating on a few races and don't yet have a decision made. How odd...