PDA

View Full Version : Middle toes tingling ... why?

Sharpsburger
January 28th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Ok, this is bizarre....

Last couple of workout, after my initial warm-up 400, my middle toes have been tingly and slightly painful, like after your foot falls asleep.

Anyone else have this happen? Any ideas what might be happening?

After I do my build-ups, the sensation is gone.

Sharpsburger
January 29th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Well, I kind of expected no response, but just in case, I'm a-bumpin'....

pendaluft
January 29th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Does the same thing happen if you are outside on cold days with thin shoes?

How about if you are walking briskly in cold weather?

debaru
January 29th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Ok, this is bizarre....

Last couple of workout, after my initial warm-up 400, my middle toes have been tingly and slightly painful, like after your foot falls asleep.

Anyone else have this happen? Any ideas what might be happening?

After I do my build-ups, the sensation is gone.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit, and the only thing that comes to mind is that the blood circulation to those two toes is being restricted somehow before you first start swimming, but that it clears up once you get your blood pumping.

I'm assuming this is happening to both feet, right? What kind of shoes are you wearing on your way to the pool? Could they be too tight (or maybe you're lacing them too tight)? I've had the tops of my feet get tingly and painful if I lace my shoes too tightly, and sometimes I feel it in my toes.

stillwater
January 29th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I have had the same issue. It was only on my left foot, the two middle toes. It was pretty annoying. I was kind of limping for a bit.

I figured that the pain went away during practice because the pain from swimming was greater than the pain from those two piggies.

I had just bought some new shoes, I chucked the skunks in the donation bin and dedicated myself to wear flops or go barefoot.

It has worked so far. Your results may vary.

Sharpsburger
January 29th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Does the same thing happen if you are outside on cold days with thin shoes?

How about if you are walking briskly in cold weather?

Maybe.

It's been cold here lately, but I don't notice it til after that first 400. I'll have to pay attention to see if I'm feeling it in other circumstances when I'm more distracted from bodily sensations.

(For instance, I'm sure the tingling doesn't begin when I end the 400, but I don't notice it til I'm done, when I'm not doing anything, have no distractions, am focused on how my body feels, and only have contact with water and my suit.)

I do notice tingling in my hands and feet when I jump into the heated pool on cold days. But I tend to get cold in my extremities very easily, so that's not surprising.

Perhaps, for some reason, those toes are the last part to warm up and lose that initial sensation caused by moving from cold to warm?

Sharpsburger
January 29th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I've been thinking about this quite a bit, and the only thing that comes to mind is that the blood circulation to those two toes is being restricted somehow before you first start swimming, but that it clears up once you get your blood pumping.

I'm assuming this is happening to both feet, right? What kind of shoes are you wearing on your way to the pool? Could they be too tight (or maybe you're lacing them too tight)? I've had the tops of my feet get tingly and painful if I lace my shoes too tightly, and sometimes I feel it in my toes.

I don't think shoes are an issue. I'm pretty picky about a good fit, and anyway I haven't bought new shoes recently, and this just started happening.

pendaluft
January 29th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I remember you've said in the past that you don't like cold water-- I wonder if the pool water could be cool enough to trigger some vasospasm maybe more likely on cold days...this would lead to poor circulation. Maybe then the effect of exercise counteracts it.

You could experiment at home with putting your feet into ice water and try to duplicate the effect. Probably not worth it, unless you are unusually bored. I don't know what the treatment would be besides very warm socks. Maybe you should try to keep your feet warm before going to the pool and see if there is any change.

mandowidow
January 29th, 2010, 04:47 PM
You might look up Raynaud's syndrome.

SwimSister
January 29th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Are you sure it's not just crampes?

My middle toes sometime crampe if I breaststroke without being warm. Small muscles cramping feels different from large muscles cramping. Tingling is not at bad word for it. Like when you get those annoying little crampes around an eye.

orca1946
January 29th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I have a foot neromia {sp} ? My middle toes hurt/tingle when I work out too much or push off walls too much.

Sharpsburger
February 14th, 2010, 12:32 AM
The effect has gone away, thank goodness.

It was beginning to bother me.

I had a couple of other strange symptoms going on at about the same time, one of which has also stopped.

But I know what that one is. I have WPW (http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4785), which causes tachycardia, dizziness, and shortness of breath. I had to back off my workout b/c exertion was triggering it (and I don't want to pass out in the pool).

I can go for months, even longer, w/ no symptoms, then suddenly go thru a period where it's happening quite frequently. So I figured the WPW was unrelated to the toe-tingling.

Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. Hard to tell.

I had to lay out for 5 days due to a virus that made me ill, but today I worked out and was almost back to full speed. My heart didn't race, and my toes didn't tingle, but my lungs are definitely not at full capacity.

Sharpsburger
February 14th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I have a foot neromia {sp} ? My middle toes hurt/tingle when I work out too much or push off walls too much.

Neuroma (http://www.podiatrynetwork.com/r_neuroma.cfm)?

WPSWIMS
February 18th, 2010, 06:37 PM
My big toe was bothering me anytime I pushed off the wall. Just returned from the podiatrist and was diagnosed with osteochondral defect in 1st metatarsal head. I do not want surgery and will be trying an orthotic, but that does not help with swimming. I told him I was going to Nationals and cannot be out of the pool until after Nationals. Any suggestions?

orca1946
February 20th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Nueroma - an irritation of the nerve ending in an area of the body. In the hand or foot, it will feel like tingling.

Sharpsburger
February 25th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Well, I found the answer: smoking.

This all started after my winter "poker weekend", where I get together with boyhood friends and we spend a couple days playing cards, picking guitars, grilling, drinking beer, and smoking cigars.

I brought some cigars home and continued to smoke them til I ran out.

Once I suspected that might be the culprit, I tried an experiment and launched into another few days of heavy cigar smoking, and it all came back -- the tachycardia, toe tingling, and blue extremities post-workout.

Must have to do with impairing my circulation.