PDA

View Full Version : Need to get coaching certification

jwfisher18
February 4th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Hi I am John Fisher and I am the coach for the CNU swim club and masters swimmer. I need to get a coach certification so i dont get harrassed by my school. Does any one know where I can get cerfied for masters? If so, What do I have to do? What are the requirements? What training to i need? Those sorts of things.

Betsy
February 4th, 2010, 11:32 PM
ASCA (Amer Swim Coaches Assoc) certifies coaches. Information is on their website. I don't know the website offhand, but a serach will produce it.

Cokie
February 5th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Hi John

I just went through Coaching Certification last year. As the previous reply says, ASCA is one source - http://www.swimmingcoach.org/. There is also USA Swimming. Here is the direct linking to their information on education and training requirements for certification: http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabId=61&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en.

I recommend doing both ASCA & USA simultaneously. In fact, for the first level of certification, they actually share the test. Now if you want to get certified as a "Masters" Coach through ASCA, you might wait just a little bit as that certification is undergoing a much needed rewrite. It is slated to be ready by the end of August 2010 (hopefully to be offered at the World Clinic in Indianapolis in August-September).

Hope that helps!

Lump
February 5th, 2010, 02:50 PM
"Badges...we don't need no stinkin Badges!"

Brian Stack
February 5th, 2010, 05:26 PM
You should also familiarize yourself with the regulations of the state where you'll be coaching. ASCA and USA Swimming take care of the technical certification but they do not concern themselves with the individual states legal requirements. For instance in California, coaches are required to hold current Red Cross certifications in First Aid, CPR, and Coaches Safety Training. US Masters only requirement for insurance coverage is that the person supervising practice be a USMS member. ASCA and USA Swimming certifications are team and/or program requirements, and do not cover legal obligations. Your LMSC Coaches Chair should be able to get you up to speed.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
February 8th, 2010, 10:50 AM
US Masters only requirement for insurance coverage is that the person supervising practice be a USMS member.

This topic came up in a conversation just yesterday in regard to "getting the word out" to masters swim coaches about a particular available program.

Are all of our coaches actually registered with USMS?
Even if they do not compete in swim meets?

If coaches are registered with USMS, have they checked the box stating they are a swim coach?

There is valuable information to communicate to coaches from our organization. Important to coaches, but ultimately serving the swimmers.

Do you know who your LMSC Coaches Chair is right now?
If you don't, it is likely USMS doesn't recognize you as a masters swim coach -at least administratively.

jwfisher18
February 17th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Thank you all for the help. will keep you all updated on what happens.

GGS5T
February 18th, 2010, 11:18 AM
"Badges...we don't need no stinkin Badges!"

I run the largest masters training camp in Europe. I get many coaches asking if they can come along to work with me. I've found that many of those who have paper qualifications couldn't coach themselves to get out of a paper bag!

I choose coaches every time who can inspire swimmers and get the best out of them, whether they have paper qualifications or not. Usually those with experience, yet without the qualifications, are the ones I choose. I want someone with me who can produce a swimmer out of a floating cabbage.

Lump
April 20th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I run the largest masters training camp in Europe. I get many coaches asking if they can come along to work with me. I've found that many of those who have paper qualifications couldn't coach themselves to get out of a paper bag!

I choose coaches every time who can inspire swimmers and get the best out of them, whether they have paper qualifications or not. Usually those with experience, yet without the qualifications, are the ones I choose. I want someone with me who can produce a swimmer out of a floating cabbage.

That is kind of how I feel about it. I've been a year round swimmer since I was 8. However, being that we live in a world with FAR too many lawyers and such I want to go about doing it the right way.