PDA

View Full Version : my 100 free video

rtodd
February 9th, 2010, 08:00 PM
OK,

Tear it apart. See anything that I should be focusing on?

YouTube- Feb 7th Meet - 100 Free - USMS Masters Swimming Meet - Heat 5

__steve__
February 9th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Yellow hat? What was your time?

rtodd
February 9th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Yep, 1:00.68 about 2 1/2 seconds off my best, but I had just finished the 400IM and I just could not push the turnover or kick. I think the stroke mechanics are the same for analysis purposes.

quicksilver
February 9th, 2010, 09:56 PM
OK,

Tear it apart. See anything that I should be focusing on?

Yes....Don't enter the 400 IM before signing up for the 100 free. :) You were working on 4 to 6 cylinders instead of 8!

It looked great. I think I saw you saw you breathe out of the turns.
Stay down and milk the speed on each push-off. Really take advantage of the walls

Great job. Save the 1000 and 400 IM for after the 100 next time. :)

rtodd
February 9th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Good advice Val.

100 free is first event next meet and I will be ready. Gotta remember to not breathe on the breakout strokes!!!!!

SolarEnergy
February 10th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Nice!!

What's your best over 50? What strikes me is that you splits seem to be: 29.something / 31.something.

DPS was fairly stable : 15 first 25 (normal, the dive) then 17 stable until the last 25 up to 19 (normal, the touch).

You say you are off by 2sec from your PB after having done a 400IM. However the second 50 of your 100 suggests that you could have gone harder on the first 50 to finish maybe only 1 sec away from your PB.

Try to keep a log of what your stroke count is during these meets. That, along with the splits, represent a good way to analyze a performance.

Nice kick by the way!

qbrain
February 10th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Hey Todd,

Put your head down. Your are lifting your head up into turns and before breathing. Try to look at the bottom of the pool and just swivel the head without bending the neck to breath. This will keep your body flater and prevent your hips from dropping, which will decrease drag and require less kick to keep you legs up.

I think you could increase your DPS by getting better reach forward. There are only a couple of strokes where I can really see your entry, so if your SPL is 10 already, I am wrong ;)

Your kick is good but uneven throughout your stroke cycle. This is typical, and I think your kick will be more consistent when you fix your head position.

Your right hand lifts you at the beginning of the stroke. So you are pushing the water down when you should be getting into the catch position. Maybe you want an intentional lope for the 100 and the 50, but I think you are more of a distance person, so I would suggest trying to discard this "push down" phase of your stroke, since it takes a decent amount of energy that might be better used at the end of the race.

Todd, your stroke looks really good. I was really impressed since I think you are primarily a runner.

tjrpatt
February 10th, 2010, 10:51 AM
it looks like you came up too soon off the start. Put in some SDKs off the blocks. You came up later off the walls. Good time considering you just did the 400 IM.

rtodd
February 10th, 2010, 11:22 AM
SolarEnergy,

By best 50 is 26.08. I could have gone harder but I mentally talked myself out of it because the 400IM took alot out of me. I think I basically went out like a 200. I keep my splits, but unless there is a video, I don't count during a sprint. I usually count in a 500. Splits for that race was

28.97 1:00.68 (31.71)

qbrain,

Good observation about the head position. I will try to keep it down. I agree the reach can be better to improve SPL, I think 17 during the middle 50 is too many!! I will work on a better catch and better EVF. I drill this alot using catch up with paddles or swim with fists. I stopped running 5 years ago and it's been all swimming since. I miss running!!

Tom,

Yes, I tend to do the Lezak thing for the 50 and 100, but I do a few SDK's in the 200. Not sure which is faster right now. Next 100 I will try to get out farther with four SDKs.

TexasAggies
February 10th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I was going to say the same thing on your pull. Notice the guy to your left (on the screen), he's getting way more power out of his strokes, way more of a surge. You must be slipping your hand or dropping your elbow under the water.

Also, notice where his hand is coming out of the water, versus where yours is. See how is is flinging the water back out by his hip, whereas yours comes straight up somewhere around your waist? Work on finishing your stroke. A drill I like for this is called the "splash drill" (there's also one for breaststroke, so maybe a new naming is in order). Basically, at the back of every stroke, where your hand exits the water, throw the water up with your palm as high as you can. Will help you get a feel for what finishing your stroke can do.

rtodd
February 10th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Good point. I think I am guilty of dropping my elbows. I am also not finishing the way you say, but I've seen sprinters have early hand exits and sprinters who finish. I will definately experiment.

qbrain
February 10th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I stopped running 5 years ago and it's been all swimming since. I miss running!!

Sorry to hear that. Strange, every time you post, I picture a runner for some reason.

qbrain
February 10th, 2010, 03:41 PM
DOH and sorry for calling you Todd.

david.margrave
February 11th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Looks good. You're getting close to breaking 1:00.00.

You might try bilateral breathing and see if it works for you. Some people like it, some don't.

smontanaro
February 11th, 2010, 06:50 AM
You might try bilateral breathing and see if it works for you. Some people like it, some don't.

At the end of a 10x150 set at practice Sunday I was fading. I asked my coach to look and comment. She said it looked like my right arm was completely exhausted (I breathe to my right) and suggested bilateral breathing because I'm not rotating enough to my left side (and thus my left arm wasn't doing as much). I think I'm going to drop down a couple lanes and do a bunch of drills for a bit to see if I can figure out how to breathe to my left without drowning. I see that you breathe to the left and your right elbow doesn't recover as high as your left. Might be something to consider (rotating more to the right and/or bilateral breathing, not necessarily dropping down a couple lanes and doing a bunch of drills).

Skip

rtodd
February 12th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I'm starting to work on bilateral breathing, at least in warm ups and cool downs. It may help. Thanks.