PDA

View Full Version : Distance work out help IM?

Green_Ghoul
February 9th, 2010, 09:13 PM
For the past month or so, I have been doing distance sets, just for my 500. What I'm asking is if this will help out in the 200 IM. My coach is giving me an opportunity to swim the IM this thursday, to see if I can swim it at leagues.

My IM splits are (from 2 weeks ago):
Fly - 31.8 (not going too hard in my opinion, as I swim 27s in relays)
Back - 39.5 (as you can see, not my strongest stroke)
Breast - 40.6 (I guess it's okay, I can go 35s all out)
Free - 35.2

Which is 227.1... My time before that was a 231, which is just okay.

During distance sets, whenever I get the chance, I kick fly back or breast, just for additional help, and I try to work on my transition turns after practice (transitions are my BIGGEST problem in the IM).

My goal splits are:
Fly - 31
Back - 35
Breast - 40
Free - 33

That adds up to 219, give or take a few tenths of a second. So, was all of that distance training for nothing? Or do you think that my goal splits are reasonable?

Thanks for the help!

pwb
February 9th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Alex, the distance sets for your 500 should be of some benefit to the last 50 of your 200 IM, but the 200 IM is still more of a controlled sprint than a distance race and the stroke transitions matter a lot. I'm not sure how much IM work you're doing, but I'd recommended IM sets that push your endurance and IM sets that cause you to sprint. I really like

transition IM sets like 8 x 150 "Indiana IMs" (one coach called them that and it's stuck with me) where you go fly-back-breast, back-breast-free, breast-free-fly, free-fly-back & repeat for building some IM endurance.
Ladder IMs like 1 x 300 IM, 2 x 200 IM, 3 x 100 IM then back down

The hardest part about swimming IMs is the transition from short-axis strokes to long-axis strokes, so you've got to practice those transitions in lots of different ways.

rtodd
February 9th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I don't think the 500 training will hurt, but I think the 200 IM is more like the 200 of any stroke, that is to say it is in a different energy zone than the 500. The 200 is a controlled sprint and more lactate than the 500. You go out with only marginally less pace than a 100. Can't do that with a 500.

Green_Ghoul
February 10th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Um, what are short-axis and long-axis strokes? I've heard the terms before, but I don't really know what they are. Sorry if it's a stupid question

rtodd
February 10th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Long axis, free and back...you are rolling on your long axis (longitudinal direction head to toe)

Short axis, fly and breast....you are rotating on your short axis (transverse direction across your body's hips)

transition IM sets like 8 x 150 "Indiana IMs" (one coach called them that and it's stuck with me) where you go fly-back-breast, back-breast-free, breast-free-fly, free-fly-back & repeat for building some IM endurance.

Those are good, we also do alot of fly-back, back-br, br-fr which is fun too. By doing only 25's of each, you get alot more transition turn work.

Green_Ghoul
February 10th, 2010, 08:51 PM
So I'm a short-axis swimmer then

Rykno
February 11th, 2010, 08:55 AM
as a part of your 200 IM training you might want to see what you can do in the 200's of other events.

have you swam the 200 breast or back or free? when I swim the 200 I like to think that I can open just over my 100fly split, then swim back around the same time as my second 50 in the 100, my breast faster than my 4th 50 in a 200 breast and my free as fast as my 200 free final 50.

my last meters time
30.59 1:09.10 1:51.32 2:26.28
IM approx splits/ 200 approx ref times

30.5 / 31
38 / 37.6
42 / 43
35 / 35.4

until I can swim a faster 200 breast or free I don't think I can swim this much faster. I swam yards 2:04, as a kid, so I only 5-6secs off that time. so i am happy with my Masters Progress.

ande
February 11th, 2010, 12:04 PM
training for the 500 fr will help your 200 IM
training for the 200 IM will help your 200 IM

go a bit easier on fly & back, breathe a lot, save your legs, stay relaxed

your back split should be much faster than your BR split

your free split should be faster to, but don't blow your wad in FL & BK,
do pull pull outs in BR

here's how I planned my 2009 SCM 200 IM (http://www.usms.org/forums/blog.php?b=6714)

here's how it went 2 videos of the race (http://www.usms.org/forums/blog.php?b=6778)

For the past month or so, I have been doing distance sets, just for my 500. What I'm asking is if this will help out in the 200 IM. My coach is giving me an opportunity to swim the IM this thursday, to see if I can swim it at leagues.

My IM splits are (from 2 weeks ago):
Fly - 31.8 (not going too hard in my opinion, as I swim 27s in relays)
Back - 39.5 (as you can see, not my strongest stroke)
Breast - 40.6 (I guess it's okay, I can go 35s all out)
Free - 35.2

Which is 227.1... My time before that was a 231, which is just okay.

During distance sets, whenever I get the chance, I kick fly back or breast, just for additional help, and I try to work on my transition turns after practice (transitions are my BIGGEST problem in the IM).

My goal splits are:
Fly - 31
Back - 35
Breast - 40
Free - 33

That adds up to 219, give or take a few tenths of a second. So, was all of that distance training for nothing? Or do you think that my goal splits are reasonable?

Thanks for the help!

Green_Ghoul
February 11th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I went a 2:25, not exactly where I want to be right now, but it's getting there. I'll post my splits when I get them tomorrow

*EDIT*

My splits from the other night are as follows:
Fly - 31
Back - 37
Breast - 43
Free - 33
With a few tenths here and there. I just need to sprint the back and breast to get to my goal splits.