PDA

View Full Version : Body Hair

Jimbosback
February 10th, 2010, 06:34 PM
So I am trying to make a plan for swimming a few meets this year, and I have come to the point to figure out how to deal with the fact that I am really really hairy.

Do most masters swimmers shave for most meets? It would be a major deal for me to shave, and it stubbles really fast. I am not worried a lot about cosmetics. I don't mind being the hairy guy. But I do mind that I will not swim nearly as fast, and if everyone else my age is shaved down, I might feel out of place.

So how hairy are the masters swimmers?

SLOmmafan
February 10th, 2010, 07:04 PM
You absolutely do not need to shave...unless you are looking for that 10th of a second to make an Olympic trial cut!!!

In all honesty shaving for a swim meet is fine, but not necessary unless you really want to get a personnel best and other members of your team are doing the same. As a hairy guy, I tend to have a hard time taking people seriously that feel they need every last gimmick to get a faster time. Train hard and correctly, and you will improve.

RobbieD
February 10th, 2010, 07:15 PM
From personal experience most people only shave for the big meets, if they shave at all.

Jimbosback
February 10th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Great news. :applaud:

Allen Stark
February 10th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I shave for my taper meets,generally 3 times/yr.If you are going to swim a USMS SCY meet just buy a cheap tech suit and then you don't need to worry.

Muppet
February 11th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Jimbo,
If you're going to shave, do it for a shave-and-taper worthy meet, like a LMSC, Zone or National Championship meet. But like SLO mentioned, do train hard in the meantime!

tjrpatt
February 11th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I saw something that I haven't seen in 13 years, a female with hair on her legs. Well, the comedian Monique is known for not shaving her legs. Of course, this was at the age group practice that I do once a week. Are any Master Swimming ladies going without shaving until their big meets? Or, are shaving, waxing, lasering like normal due to the tech suits still legal.

craig68
February 11th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Based on your question, it sounds like you haven't been to a Masters meet before, or haven't been to one in a long time. You'll be happy to find that there aren't 'most' swimmers at a meet doing any one particular thing. Some shave and wear tech suits, some men are unshaved and wearing swimming trunks, some are swimming lightening fast, and some are moving so slow they are probably worrying the life guards in the stands. Do whatever you want. I only get to swim a few meets a year, and prefer to shave for each one. I'm quite a bit slower unshaved. But as another poster suggested, if you're not worried about tenths of a second, and don't want to deal with post-meet stubble, don't bother. You'll have plenty of company among other guys there.

knelson
February 11th, 2010, 10:59 AM
You absolutely do not need to shave...unless you are looking for that 10th of a second to make an Olympic trial cut!!!

OK, I agree with this, but shaving is good for a lot more than a tenth of a second. It can make a very substantial difference.

The bottom line is most swimmers (masters or otherwise) will shave down for major meets only.

ande
February 11th, 2010, 11:51 AM
i'm not a hairy guy, but i've shaved down for many meets

this season I"ll shave for ZONES & Nats,

When I wear a full body suit I only shave exposed skin though I may clip some areas under the suit, I think it's a good idea to shave your
face, arms, pits, back, shoulders, half calf, hands, feet & the top & sides of your chest.

for hairy dudes it's a good idea to clip first then shave
get someone to help you clip and shave in areas you can't reach or see.

If you have thick hair, as it grows back you'll get prickly quickly,
consider applying NAIR to your arms, legs, stomach & chest, it will round off the ends of the sharp stubble making it softer

Shaving will help you Swim Faster Faster.

So I am trying to make a plan for swimming a few meets this year, and I have come to the point to figure out how to deal with the fact that I am really really hairy.

Do most masters swimmers shave for most meets? It would be a major deal for me to shave, and it stubbles really fast. I am not worried a lot about cosmetics. I don't mind being the hairy guy. But I do mind that I will not swim nearly as fast, and if everyone else my age is shaved down, I might feel out of place.

So how hairy are the masters swimmers?

__steve__
February 11th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Not shaving my pits, ever.

Jimbosback
February 11th, 2010, 01:22 PM
This is also great news, and what I was really hoping to hear. Correct, I have not been to a meet in 20 years.

(ack -- just realized that the thread title reads Body Hair: Jimbo's Back. yuk. lol)

Based on your question, it sounds like you haven't been to a Masters meet before, or haven't been to one in a long time. You'll be happy to find that there aren't 'most' swimmers at a meet doing any one particular thing. Some shave and wear tech suits, some men are unshaved and wearing swimming trunks, some are swimming lightening fast, and some are moving so slow they are probably worrying the life guards in the stands. Do whatever you want. I only get to swim a few meets a year, and prefer to shave for each one. I'm quite a bit slower unshaved. But as another poster suggested, if you're not worried about tenths of a second, and don't want to deal with post-meet stubble, don't bother. You'll have plenty of company among other guys there.

Muppet
February 11th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Are any Master Swimming ladies going without shaving until their big meets?

yes

Jimbosback
February 11th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'm itchy just thinking about it though. :)

i'm not a hairy guy, but i've shaved down for many meets

this season I"ll shave for ZONES & Nats,

When I wear a full body suit I only shave exposed skin though I may clip some areas under the suit, I think it's a good idea to shave your
face, arms, pits, back, shoulders, half calf, hands, feet & the top & sides of your chest.

get someone to help you clip and shave in place you can't reach or see.

If you have thick hair, as it grows back you'll get prickly quickly,
consider applying NAIR to your arms, legs, stomach & chest, it will round off the ends of the sharp stubble making it softer

Shaving will help you Swim Faster Faster.

Novaova
February 11th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Are any Master Swimming ladies going without shaving until their big meets?
I shave every 2-3 days. Stubble is icky. =\

BillS
February 11th, 2010, 06:08 PM
get someone to help you clip and shave in areas you can't reach or see.

Once upon a time I invited non-swimming husband and wife friends (they are into masters tennis, which is a whole 'nother kettle of fish) to drop by Mt. Hood for LCM Nats. Husband was horrified when he observed one male swimmer shaving another's back in the showers. While I believe this to be pretty much par for the course, at least in my limited masters swimming experience, this sight evidently caused husband some form of long-lasting psychological trauma, as he still brings it up to me now and again.

Allen Stark
February 12th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Once upon a time I invited non-swimming husband and wife friends (they are into masters tennis, which is a whole 'nother kettle of fish) to drop by Mt. Hood for LCM Nats. Husband was horrified when he observed one male swimmer shaving another's back in the showers. While I believe this to be pretty much par for the course, at least in my limited masters swimming experience, this sight evidently caused husband some form of long-lasting psychological trauma, as he still brings it up to me now and again.
Actually I'm pretty sure shaving in the shower is against the rules.Please do it at home or hotel.

E=H2O
February 16th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Actually I'm pretty sure shaving in the shower is against the rules.Please do it at home or hotel.

I think this falls under the Don't ask, Don't Tell rule.

orca1946
February 16th, 2010, 12:22 PM
For some odd reason my wife liked it when I shaved my pits for state ??

moodyrichardson
February 16th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I tend to begrudge all men that have smoother legs than I do. What IS your secret??:bow:

Lump
February 16th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Not shaving my pits, ever.

LOL!

The only part I didn't like when I did it in college (I will be doing again for nationals this year for the first time 15 years after college swimming) was that it made them sweat more and was really prickly when it started coming back.

E=H2O
February 17th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I guess I have to fess up. I am 57, very hairy and I shave my body every summer. OK so there, I said it.

Actually I only have been doing it the last 2 years. I did it for an important OW race and found that it felt great. I also compete in triathlons and I found that during training and racing I felt like I had taken off a blanket - which is how I now refer to my annual transformation. Just to put it in perspective, at a recent underwater video clinic I was the only one that looked like they had any body hair. In fact everyone was surprised that a grizzly bear could swim so well.

Allen Stark
February 17th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I shaved my arm pits once in college and hated the feeling as the hair grew out.Inspite of going to Masters Nats many times I never shaved them again until Worlds in Palo Alto when I thought"what the heck,every .01 sec counts."It wasn't as bad as I remembered and I have at all taper meets since.

kristilynn
February 17th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Maybe I'm alone in this, but... I really appreciate it when men shave, regardless of whether or not it's for competition. Hairy backs and chests are a challenge for me; I don't really care about pits, legs, or other areas that I don't have to see.

As far as the women shaving... Since ankle-length tech suits emerged on the scene, I haven't worried about growing out hair before big meets. I don't know if I can go back to the growing the hair out bit after June 1. I might try it in the winter, but an old lady like me with hairy legs in the winter just isn't going to work out. As an age group and college swimmer, I didn't mind so much.

SwimStud
February 17th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I'd say just clip your hair if you feel conspicuous.

That Guy
February 18th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I shaved my arm pits once in college and hated the feeling as the hair grew out.Inspite of going to Masters Nats many times I never shaved them again until Worlds in Palo Alto when I thought"what the heck,every .01 sec counts."It wasn't as bad as I remembered and I have at all taper meets since.

I've heard of some swimmers having agonizing experiences after shaving armpits. I haven't had that happen to me but I do shave them very gently and I don't worry if there's some stubble left after I'm done. One of my teammates in college shaved his eyebrows for a conference meet... unfortunately they grew back, denying us a lifetime of eyebrow jokes at his expense...