PDA

View Full Version : Canadians Seek Edge in New Speedskating Bodysuits

patrick
February 12th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I'll be interested to see if this sports new bodysuits generates any controversy.

"These suits, which are the culmination of four years of research and testing, are more aerodynamic than human skin. They are made of a mix of drag-reducing fabrics, including Thinfit, which was developed for Descente by a Japanese fiber house and is 0.3 of a millimeter thick.

Five other fabrics are used in various sections of the suit: a dimpled knit fabric in the arms; a laminated version of the dimpled fabric in the hips and thighs; a rubberized knit fabric over the hood; a fabric for friction reduction under the arms; and a silver fabric to cover the hands. "

Money Quote: There has been no such outcry over the Descente suits. But unlike in 2008, when swimmers like the American Michael Phelps wore the LZR Racer in competitions leading up to the Olympics, the Canadian skaters have yet to race in their new suits.

Article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/sports/olympics/12speedsuits.html

pwb
February 12th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Sounds like speed skating might be governed by a more forward-thinking, anti-Luddite crowd than swimming.

thewookiee
February 12th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Sounds like speed skating might be governed by a more forward-thinking, anti-Luddite crowd than swimming.

That's an understatement.

stillwater
February 12th, 2010, 11:18 AM
speed skating might be governed by a more forward-thinking, anti-Luddite crowd than swimming.

A boo-hoo ticket to you. I'm kind of bummed that Bill "The Whining Policeman" isn't doing his job. Maybe he is selective in who he thinks is whining. (A boo-hoo ticket for me, for whinning about the lack of enforcement of whining by Bill "The Whining Policeman")

The speed skating community might be governed by a crowd of win-at-all-costs damn the history, spirit, and integrity of the sport. Or, perhaps the change in suits is so minor that it doesn't matter.

We shall see.

gull
February 12th, 2010, 11:35 AM
The speed skating community might be governed by a crowd of win-at-all-costs, damn the history, spirit, and integrity of the sport.

Fortunately there's no such crowd governing Alpine skiing, or else we'd have seen technological innovation in skis, poles, and suits. At least that winter sport still has integrity and a sense of history.

Atlantic
February 12th, 2010, 01:13 PM
This reminds me... did anyone notice at either the Torino Olympics or the one before - that some of the female bobsledders' suits looked a lot like Speedo Fastskins?

scyfreestyler
February 12th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Like this one?

http://www.nbcolympics.com/ksbw/photos/galleryid=375976.html

Novaova
February 12th, 2010, 01:28 PM
You can always tell when someone hasn't got a leg to stand on-- they summon up hoary old beasts like "tradition" or "integrity."

(They said the same thing when I married a girl. "What you're doing is against traditional marriage! It will destroy the integrity of the family!" It's hilarious in a sick and sad way to see the same arguments being used to fight advances in sport as well as social policy.)

LindsayNB
February 12th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Ok, ok, I give in, I'll support wearing fins in competition!

Seriously, I would think that it is clear by now that different people have different ideas on what constitutes "advancing" the sport.

I also think it a little odd that FINA takes all the heat on this, while they undoubtedly handled the whole issue poorly it was USA-S that led the anti-tech-suit charge and got them banned against the wishes of the FINA big-wigs.

Chris Stevenson
February 12th, 2010, 01:48 PM
You can always tell when someone hasn't got a leg to stand on-- they summon up hoary old beasts like "tradition" or "integrity."

Plus it is downright un-American to be against the right to buy some performance enhancement.

Atlantic
February 12th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Like this one?

http://www.nbcolympics.com/ksbw/photos/galleryid=375976.html

That's it! I wonder if the silicone dots do anything for speeding thru the air rather than the water.

;)

__steve__
February 12th, 2010, 02:02 PM
The skater suits must help by assisting body movement and decreasing fatigue. Not much of a drag reduction benefit achieved when compared to swimming.

Novaova
February 12th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Edit: I completely misread something.

Novaova
February 12th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Ok, ok, I give in, I'll support wearing fins in competition!

Seriously . . .
I was prepared to mock you until I saw that the second paragraph began with "Seriously," so I can see you don't think the first paragraph was serious at all. Awesome. =)

Novaova
February 12th, 2010, 02:15 PM
The skater suits must help by assisting body movement and decreasing fatigue. Not much of a drag reduction benefit achieved when compared to swimming.
Water is more viscous than air after all, so there is that. However, aerodynamic drag increases with the square of velocity, and speed skaters get going really fast, so I'll bet the drag reduction is non-trivial.

knelson
February 12th, 2010, 02:34 PM
It's hilarious in a sick and sad way to see the same arguments being used to fight advances in sport as well as social policy.

I really think it's a stretch to compare the two. For one, the phrase "advances the sport" is sort of loaded. Just because you think it advances the sport doesn't mean everyone does. Your rights as a human being are a whole lot different than your rights as an athlete in a sport with codified rules.

Novaova
February 12th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I really think it's a stretch to compare the two. For one, the phrase "advances the sport" is sort of loaded. Just because you think it advances the sport doesn't mean everyone does. Your rights as a human being are a whole lot different than your rights as an athlete in a sport with codified rules.
Fair play. I look for patterns in things, but sometimes it's just coincidence I suppose.

Chris Stevenson
February 12th, 2010, 02:53 PM
It's hilarious in a sick and sad way to see the same arguments being used to fight advances in sport as well as social policy.

So I missed this part earlier, but it gives me a chance to draw my own completely objective (and, in my view, self-evident) parallels. Strictly in fun, of course.

Pro-techsuit swimmer: Pro-business, "anything goes in the free market" mentality. Against regulation--interference!--of any kind. A "screw them, I got mine" mentality.

Anti-techsuit swimmer: Favors gov't regulation to correct perceived free-market "failures," protective of the rights of the minority and the poor. Generally compassionate, they are more likely to buy flowers for their loved ones on Valentine's day.

Novaova
February 12th, 2010, 03:08 PM
So I missed this part earlier, but it gives me a chance to draw my own completely objective (and, in my view, self-evident) parallels. Strictly in fun, of course.

Pro-techsuit swimmer: Pro-business, "anything goes in the free market" mentality. Against regulation--interference!--of any kind. A "screw them, I got mine" mentality.

Anti-techsuit swimmer: Favors gov't regulation to correct perceived free-market "failures," protective of the rights of the minority and the poor. Generally compassionate, they are more likely to buy flowers for their loved ones on Valentine's day.
This is pretty good. Have you considered a career as a forum troll? No, seriously, I mean this as a compliment-- you've got the knack for reducing things to absurdity in such a way that it'll have forum warriors hammering their keyboards in reply. They'll miss the part where you write things like "strictly in fun," mistake it for earnestness, and just go crazy.

Good times. :)

aquageek
February 12th, 2010, 03:12 PM

Ironically, roses now cost more than tech suits, and have an ever shorter life-span.

I do, however, generally agree with your analysis, that being pro techies are Americans and anti techies are Communists.

knelson
February 12th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I do, however, generally agree with your analysis, that being pro techies are Americans and anti techies are Communists.

Definitely. Godless, incorrigible pinkos. :banana:

Peter Cruise
February 12th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Trust Geek to sort out any argument for us and to deliver a dose of utter codswallop to nourish our discussion.

Chris Stevenson
February 12th, 2010, 05:01 PM

It is also a well-known fact that pro-techies are much more likely to be Duke graduates or Duke wannabees. (I do realize that after Wednesday's terrible, though unfortunately predictable, result that this is hitting well below the belt.)

aquageek
February 12th, 2010, 05:20 PM
It is also a well-known fact that pro-techies are much more likely to be Duke graduates or Duke wannabees. (I do realize that after Wednesday's terrible, though unfortunately predictable, result that this is hitting well below the belt.)

That's not hitting below the belt, that's a sucker punch!

stillwater
February 13th, 2010, 11:28 AM

Interesting. Tradition has no value in your life yet you were married.

How does your spouse feel about your lack of integrity?

By the way, I married a girl too.

Novaova
February 13th, 2010, 01:53 PM
By the way, I married a girl too.
Have a cookie.

orca1946
February 13th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Where do you think all the suits we can't wear went to ??:confused:

chaos
February 13th, 2010, 04:12 PM

chris, you are a genius

.....and canadians should stick to curling.

pwb
February 13th, 2010, 04:48 PM

My corrections (somewhat tongue in cheek, I think)...

Pro-techsuit swimmer: Pro-business, "anything goes in the free market" mentality. Against regulation--interference!-- as they believe that individuals are free to make their own decisions and that the collective power of unfettered creativity results in greater benefit to all humankind. A "pro-freedom, anti-big-brother" mentality.

Anti-techsuit swimmer: Favors abdicating personal authority and decision-making to bureaucrats, on the belief that the "big brains" of the "ruling elite" are somehow smarter at making decisions for individuals than the individuals themselves. Generally perceive themselves to be compassionate, as evidenced by their buy-in to corporately manufactured, top-down dictated holidays like Valentine's day.

orca1946
February 13th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Has anyone told them we can't use ours ? Do you think they care ?

__steve__
February 15th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Anti-techsuit swimmer: Generally perceive themselves to be compassionateI thought the same thing.

Here's my spin:
LIBs: Generally obtains power by coheresing others into falsely perceiving them as compassionate, and buy's flowers for both mistriss and spouse.

knelson
February 15th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Hey Steve, let's steer clear of politics, shall we? And what the heck is "coheresing?"

__steve__
February 15th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Hey Steve, let's steer clear of politics, shall we? Sure thing:)

About pro/con tech suit wearing, I would be happier with a reasonable limitation on technology, but it has nothing to do with personality.

Chris Stevenson
February 15th, 2010, 11:30 AM
what the heck is "coheresing?"

I believe the technical definition is "over-dependence on spell checkers." :bolt:

stillwater
February 15th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Pro-Techsuit swimmer: Picard over Kirk, any day. Think that Steve Jobs is godlike. Think that aluminum bats should be allowed in baseball and is really ticked off about the groove issue in the PGA.

Anti-Techsuit swimmer: Thinks that the "Beverly Hillbillys" was as good as TV gets (owns a black and white TV and curses color). Think that steak and potatoes is the best meal ever. Is really ticked off about the groove issue in the PGA.

pwb
February 15th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Pro-Techsuit swimmer: Picard over Kirk, any day. Think that Steve Jobs is godlike. Think that aluminum bats should be allowed in baseball and is really ticked off about the groove issue in the PGA.

Anti-Techsuit swimmer: Thinks that the "Beverly Hillbillys" was as good as TV gets (owns a black and white TV and curses color). Think that steak and potatoes is the best meal ever. Is really ticked off about the groove issue in the PGA.Generally love this, but, pound for pound, Kirk had more advanced technology for his day than Picard did.

WWKD? I think he'd wear a B70 on the hopes that it would add that extra advantage when trying to seduce alien lady-folk.:)

stillwater
February 15th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Generally love this, but, pound for pound, Kirk had more advanced technology for his day than Picard did.

Picard never did a shoulder roll in his life. He didn't need to.