PDA

View Full Version : Places to swim in Iraq

Ramjet08
February 13th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Does anyone know about potential places to swim in Iraq? I may be getting stationed in Baghdad and am curious whether the Embassy or other bases may have 25 yard/meter or similar pools.

tjrpatt
February 13th, 2010, 01:46 PM
They might be a pool in one of Saddam's old palaces! If you find a pool in Iraq, update the thread with pics if possible.

jim thornton
February 14th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Not sure about Iraq, but if you have occasion to go to Afghanistan, we discussed this a few years back:

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=7855&highlight=swimming+Iraq

Good luck! If you end up swimming there, take some pictures and post them here!

__steve__
February 14th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Will your base have a pool?

Ramjet08
February 15th, 2010, 09:26 AM
If I go, it would be at the new Embassy in Baghdad. They have a pool but not sure how big. I know the base at Balad has a nice 50m pool but that is 30+ miles from Baghdad.

Doug Adamavich
February 15th, 2010, 04:37 PM
One of my coaches was over there a few years ago and swam at some outdoor facility. It looked like it was 50M and fairly new. The only catch is it was surrounded by ISO containers and looked to be in the middle of nowhere. I'll ask him to see which facility that was but I am sure it was at a US base.

Ramjet08
February 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks:) I expect that was at the Balad base but appreciate you checking.

Ramjet08
February 16th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I came across this picture of the pool at the new Embassy in Baghdad. Not sure if it is 25 yards (maybe 20??). I heard it was originally designed as a competition pool for the Amercian School in Iraq......which never happened.

http://egsinbaghdad.blogspot.com/2008/05/baghdad-american-embassy-rec-center.html (http://egsinbaghdad.blogspot.com/2008/05/baghdad-american-embassy-rec-center.html)

Slowswim
February 23rd, 2010, 03:37 PM
I recently left Baghdad. I was told the Embassy had a 25 Yard pool and that it was very nice. I never saw because the Embassy is off-limits to US Military (go figure).:censor:

I swam at Camp Liberty, but those facities are closed. Victory complex has a pool. Its on Camp Slayer. I don't know the distance but was told it is a lap pool.

Ramjet08
February 23rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks very much. I posted a link that has a picture of the embassy pool. It looks to me like it might be 25 yards.:)

Ramjet08
May 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Well, I finally got the word that I'll be headed to Iraq, probably in August. I'll try to post pictures of the Embassy pool after I arrive (depending on security requirements).:)

Lump
May 13th, 2010, 10:10 PM
How about OW in the Tigris?!

jethro
May 14th, 2010, 05:08 AM
If you can get access to the New Embassy Compound, it has a 25m indoor pool. It seems to me to be somewhat poorly designed; the backstroke flags are way too low and the pool has this weird swirling current in it. Maybe they've fixed some of the problems since I left there last year.

It's far better than not being able to swim at all though.

Ramjet08
August 14th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Well, I'm finally here and, as Jethro stated, the Embassy does have a 25m pool. The flags must have been raised but they are a bit further than normal from the wall. I haven't noticed a swirling current and they now have a single lane line (thanks for small victories - it is Iraq). I think the pool is actually pretty nice. It doesn't get that crowded and the temperature is around 84.:)

jethro
August 14th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Well, I'm finally here and, as Jethro stated, the Embassy does have a 25m pool. The flags must have been raised but they are a bit further than normal from the wall. I haven't noticed a swirling current and they now have a single lane line (thanks for small victories - it is Iraq). I think the pool is actually pretty nice. It doesn't get that crowded and the temperature is around 84.:)

Plus it's open 24/7. Nothing like going for a 3 a.m. swim. :agree:

ETA: Stay safe over there!

jim thornton
August 16th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Plus it's open 24/7. Nothing like going for a 3 a.m. swim. :agree:

ETA: Stay safe over there!

I second the "stay safe" exhortation. I do think it's awfully cool that you can workout in Baghdad! Definitely something to tell the grandkids one day.

You should try to establish as many pool records as possible while you are there.

A lot of USMS folks can take bragging rights from their accomplishments here, but who among us can claim to have set a pool record in an active war zone!

Ramjet08
November 14th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks! I hadn't really thought of pool records but maybe I'll look at that. I have been instructed that I cannot call it a war zone here in Iraq. The PC term is "high threat environment." It doesn't really matter as bullets and rockets are still be fired at us and our soldiers, no matter what you call the environment. Anyway, the latest is pool management now has the pool temp at 85+. I have informed them of the tragic events of Fran Crippen and they have slowly started to lower the temp.....hey, 84 is better than 87.

Thanks so much to Laura Jones and Rob Butcher for publishing the article on swimming in Iraq.:)