PDA

View Full Version : Quads in swimming

taruky
February 17th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I've been doing a lot of kick sets and trying hard to make sure that I use my glutes/hips to kick. One interesting method I read online is to imagine you are holding a coin between the buttocks while kicking. My question is this. I'm feeling some fatigue in the quadriceps while doing this, even though I'm sure I'm initiating the kick from the hips. I'm wondering if this is normal to some extent or a sign that I am not relaxing my lower leg enough on the down kick (i.e. I'm keeping it too extended). Should I be trying harder for that whip action where the lower leg lags behind the thighs on the way down (so it is completely relaxed) and locks on the way up? Thanks.

Stevepowell
February 17th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Quads should burn.

SolarEnergy
February 18th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I've been doing a lot of kick sets and trying hard to make sure that I use my glutes/hips to kick. One interesting method I read online is to imagine you are holding a coin between the buttocks while kicking. My question is this. I'm feeling some fatigue in the quadriceps while doing this, even though I'm sure I'm initiating the kick from the hips. I'm wondering if this is normal to some extent or a sign that I am not relaxing my lower leg enough on the down kick (i.e. I'm keeping it too extended). Should I be trying harder for that whip action where the lower leg lags behind the thighs on the way down (so it is completely relaxed) and locks on the way up? Thanks. The quadriceps are the muscle masses that are the most involved in forward propulsion during the flutter kick execution. Glutes will only be involved in the leg recovery, which of course only accounts for a very small portion of the propulsion.

Superior Hip flexors (Iliopsoas, or hip muscles if you may) aren't qualified for the job. Movement has to be initiated from the hip, but it is the quads that finish the job and insure most of the propulsion.

- - -
As an aside. When I first visited a gym back in my early college years (it was in the context of a phys ed class), I rapidly came to the conclusion that I didn't have much potential for lifting weights, except for two areas where I would lift more than any of the class Big Boys (I was 5'10 140pounds at the time):
- Lat Pull down
- Leg extension / quads (At this one, I was the king of the class!)

I later explained this by those millions meters of swimming and tough kicking I had done at earlier age.

__steve__
February 18th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Does swimming even work on the glutes that much? I've been swimming for 2 years (this coming summer), I still have no butt. Although I inherited the dominant no-butt gene from northern Italy, I really thought swimming would help but it didn't. It just toned up my otherwise non existant glutes.

SolarEnergy
February 18th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Does swimming even work on the glutes that much? I've been swimming for 2 years (this coming summer), I still have no butt. Although I inherited the dominant no-butt gene from northern Italy, I really thought swimming would help but it didn't. It just toned up my otherwise non existant glutes. In fact, short and simple answer to this question? No! Not very much.

Glutes and Hamstrings should be targeted in dry land training in order to recreate a balance between antagonist muscles. That, of course, is to avoid developing knee injuries. I'm mainly referring to Patello-Femoral-Syndrome here.

I am not saying they're not working whilst swimming, just that they are far from working as hard as the muscles groups responsible for forward propulsion (quads).

LindsayNB
February 18th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Would the glutes do some work during dives and push offs?

swimmj
February 18th, 2010, 02:59 PM
The glutes do get used during dives and pushoffs, but lots and lots of swimmers don't have large glutes. I came by mine thru genetics. :bolt:

taruky
February 19th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Then what exactly is meant when people say kick from the hips? Initiate from the hips and finish with the quads?

orca1946
February 20th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Kick from the hip means do not bend the legs at the knees to kick just 1/2 the leg.

SolarEnergy
February 23rd, 2010, 05:00 PM
Then what exactly is meant when people say kick from the hips? Initiate from the hips and finish with the quads? Yes, that is exactly what it means.

SolarEnergy
February 23rd, 2010, 05:02 PM
Would the glutes do some work during dives and push offs? And to a certain (and significant) extent, during breaststroke kicking.

They are also engaged in leg recovery of course. So they're not completely at rest, but other than during starts and turns, they operate at a very low percentage of their actual potential.

Thrashing Slug
February 24th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Brazil Butt Lift Workouts
:lolup: Headline of the advertisement that appeared while I was reading this thread

Backstroke kick works hamstrings and glutes more than free, does it not?

Lump
February 25th, 2010, 08:51 AM
if anything I lost my posterior since getting back into swimming. I can slip out of my jeans without unbuttoning or unzipping them now. My wife likes to tease me that my butt is now to small for my body! :D

Karen Duggan
February 25th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I don't know if you ever saw the show "Laverne and Shirley" but it sounds like you need a 'hubba-hubba-hiney'
:lmao:

pendaluft
February 25th, 2010, 02:22 PM
http://www.tv.com/king-of-the-hill/hanks-back-story/episode/40793/summary.html

Season 5, Episode 19 King of the Hill: Hank's Back Story

While preparing for the big lawn mower races in Durndle, Hank experiences back trouble. When he goes to the doctor, he is told that he has a genetic disorder called Diminished Gluteal Syndrome (DGS), meaning that he has such a small rear end that it puts added stress on his spine. The doctor gives Hank a prosthetic butt to wear, but the shame of it is too much until Peggy gets him to go to a DGS support meeting.

Lump
February 25th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Trust me, its not THAT small! :)