PDA

View Full Version : Another fly video to critique

funkyfish
February 19th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Greetings one and all. I'd like to get some feedback regarding a 100yd fly I swam last November (it's taken me some time to getting around to posting this). I'm in the yellow cap. I have some ideas on what I need to work on, but I'd like to get other opinions. My time was a :58.3 (approx.). 24 years ago I could swim it in :54xx, would like to get closer to that if possible. Thanks in advance. :D

YouTube- colin100ydFlyNov09

tomtopo
February 19th, 2010, 10:31 PM
I've notice that the older we get the more our strokes seem to shorten up. I can't tell what you're doing underwater but you seem to entering short and that creates a little dead time. This means your timing is off a bit. It doesn't look bad it just looks like you're struggling with the flow a 54 second flyer has. If you think this may be the case, may I suggest you try dropping (lowering) your chest a little farther than your head. This may help the tempo and make it feel smoother. Yoga may also help increase all around flexibility (back and shoulders). Good luck, Coach T.

Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul. ~Samuel Ullman

Allen Stark
February 19th, 2010, 11:26 PM
You are recovering with your arms slightly bent.If you kept them straight you might be able to recover lower to the water,which may help you be smoother.Also the 3rd length it seemed you bent at the knees too much on the kick.

rtodd
February 20th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Your body dolphin looks real good. Like Allen mentions, perhaps a more straight arm low to the water recovery may help. Try laying your arms on the surface at shoulder width and letting your chest drop in. Try and make the recovery as relaxed as possible, this is your chance to rest. If you are tight firing your antagonistic muscles (the muscles NOT responsible for the arm or limb movement), you will tighten up. I'm not sure if you are doing a key hole arm pull, but try and experiement with arms entering at shoulder width, catching and then pulling back and toward the midline. Finish the stroke all the way out.

Try drilling the stroke with no breath 25's to imprint the correct feel, then work in your breathing.

It was a strong performance!

hawk43
February 20th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Good strong swim. Underwater dolphin was great (speed up the frequency). So was your kick. Your breathing was a inconsistent and it looked like you lost momentum because you breathed right after the turns.

I agree with the previous postings regarding the shortness of your stroke. Try to flatten out by not raising your head so high when taking a breath. It was obvious right off the bat that you are coming too high out of the water, causing you to expend unnecessary energy.

I too was out of swimming for 20+ years and I have recently found my stroke again after about a year back in the pool. My fly has improved over the past few months, in part due to focus on 25s and 50 fly sprinting. I concentrate on power, long stroke. Weight lifting (focus on shoulders and legs - squats) has helped as well.

Congrats getting back into the water... Have fun...

orca1946
February 20th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Try to keep your feet under the water on the kick - don't go above the surface & push air down.