PDA

View Full Version : Length of Workouts

moodyrichardson
February 20th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Another question for you seasoned vets. My workouts usually average anywhere from 1500 to 2500 meters. When I see other's workout totals here, I feel like a complete wimp. I usually work out 3-4 times a week, depending on if I'm running. Should I be doing something extra to up my workout distance, or should I swim a lesser distance but more times a week? I usually work out in the late afternoons. My team doesn't have morning workouts. Comments? Advice?

elise526
February 20th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Much depends on what your goals are and what else you are doing outside of the pool.

nkfrench
February 20th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Another question for you seasoned vets. My workouts usually average anywhere from 1500 to 2500 meters. When I see other's workout totals here, I feel like a complete wimp. I usually work out 3-4 times a week, depending on if I'm running. Should I be doing something extra to up my workout distance, or should I swim a lesser distance but more times a week? I usually work out in the late afternoons. My team doesn't have morning workouts. Comments? Advice?

The answer depends on your reasons for swimming and what you want to achieve.

Swimming for basic/minimal cardiovascular fitness is very different from training to place in national competition. And a different workout plan may be taken if you are trying to lose weight or if you enjoy it just to mindlessly relax and unwind. I've known a few people who basically swim to avoid doing chores at home or to keep themselves out of the bars. :)

Are you getting the results you want from your workout? My experience is that nobody else really wants to know the details of my swims. :D

rtodd
February 20th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Don't worry about yardage, worry about time and build the desnity into that time.

Typically 90 minutes are needed to really do something (ideally 120 minutes, but not many get that). I only get 60 minutes, which is not ideal, so I swim at least 5 and sometimes 6 times a week. 60 minutes should be enough for 3,000 on a distance day and 2,000 on a sprint day. The key is no BS, get in, warm up 600 and get right to it.

orca1946
February 20th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Our team does 3400 -4200 in 1:45 on mon & wed eve.

Allen Stark
February 20th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I almost never swim more than 2500 yd and have done well in terms of Top Ten etc.I do swim a lot of race pace as well as lift weights etc.I workout 4-5X/wk.It depends on your goal as everyone says.

jessicafk11
February 21st, 2010, 08:12 AM
As others have stated, it depends on your goals and what else you are doing during the week. I try to swim for at least an hour minimum but I listen to how my body feels. There are days I feel like I could swim all day and I'll get in 4,000+ scy and there are days when I feel worn out and it isn't clicking and I'll only do 2,000 or so. I want the time I get in the water to be quality time (no sense in swimming another 1,000 yards just to say I did if I was so tired that my form and body suffered). I'd review your swims to see if they are at all varied (it's not good to repeat the same workout over and over and over, etc.) and whether your time in the pool/distance for each workout has changed over time. Set a goal and work towards it. If you have a coach, I would talk with them about it.

orca1946
February 21st, 2010, 02:23 PM
Swim with others , it makes it much better!

moodyrichardson
February 21st, 2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks for all the imput!!

I started out swimming for fitness. Then starting in November, I decided that I wanted to start swimming at meets. So, I started training for them. I've never swam competitively in my life. In 6 weeks, I learned flip turns, starting off the blocks, and went to my first meet in December. My workouts were steadily gaining length and intensity, then I got really bad bronchitis, along with a nasty ear infection at the first of the year. It just seems like I don't have the longevity I had before. I guess I just need to be patient.

I'm planning to swim a couple of events and Nationals in Atlanta for fun. I know I won't win, but I don't want to embarrass myself either.:) I am going to team practice starting this week.