PDA

View Full Version : What does your local USA team do?

elise526
February 24th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Just wondering what other USA teams do insofar as breaks during the year. When I grew up, depending on what meets you qualified for, I remember taking off from mid-April until about mid-May. The next break was usually early August until Labor Day.

The team that my son swims on does not take a break. Is that what other USA teams do these days or do most still take at least a couple week break once or twice a year?

Mine is just about to turn 11, so I'm building in breaks for him as I recognize the need. Since mid-August, he has only had a one week break when the pool was closed. He just finished his season as a 9-10 year old, so I'm letting him skip this week and play basketball in our backyard.

I'm curious to hear if and when other programs work in breaks.

gobears
February 24th, 2010, 07:40 AM
My USA team growing up only took one break (2 weeks in Aug. after Nationals) but that was years and years ago. I think part of the rationale for not breaking in the Spring was that long course was such a short season anyway, you couldn't afford to take much time off if you wanted to do well during the summer (or so the thinking went).

The team I coached with a few years ago didn't really take an extended break. Part of the reason was charging dues for time off, I think. Parents have a hard time wrapping their minds around paying for a month where half of it has no practices offered.

I didn't swim year round until I was in high-school and I think the two weeks off every August were really good for me. I can't imagine not ever taking some time off if you started swimming as an age-grouper!

swimshark
February 24th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I practice and am a member of a local USA team and we have only taken break for about 2 weeks in August in the past. But this year we have a brand new pool to use as a back up so I have a feeling the break will be even smaller. Maybe a week or so.

aquageek
February 24th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Our annual break is about 3-4 weeks after LC ends in late July.

qbrain
February 24th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Two weeks off at the end of long course season.

I don't remember any break between short course and long course season, but back then short course ended in the middle of March for most kids (HS regionals, Champs, HS State all in March), but now all that takes place in Feb, so there might be another break.

I only trained seriously one summer, so not having a break didn't affect me too much :)

pwb
February 24th, 2010, 10:33 AM
My kids' USAS team takes a week off after SCY and 2 weeks off after LCM season.

BigNoodler
February 24th, 2010, 10:40 AM
No breaks? Ouch.

The USA-S team I swim for takes 3 weeks off after the long course season. We also get a 1 week (and actually, it's about 9 days with the extra weekend) off between SCY and LCM. This schedule seems very reasonable to me.

swimshark
February 24th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Oh and during our "break" we do dry land for 90 min a day. Running, medicine balls, abs, jump ropes, etc. It's a full workout written down on a board and you show up and do it until you are done. It's hard but a lot of fun to take that 2 weeks and do nothing but dry land.

nkfrench
February 24th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Breaks depend on which group you're in.

The more elite USAS swimmers take less time off Christmas/Thanksgiving but have more time off after their championships. They are on reduced schedules in Mar/Apr and Aug/Sep (no 2-a-days, more practices are designated optional instead of mandatory).

Our regular pool closes on many school holidays including a week for spring break and 2 weeks in August.

We would not be able to fit the entire team into alternate facilities so the elite/performance groups get first dibs on lanespace.

The younger kids would have poor attendance during the holidays and breaks so they can do family things so generally alternate facilities aren't arranged. Masters can be the same way. It allows the coaches to get a little downtime too.

It is annoying that the USMS championships (zones, Natls) come after our 1-week spring break pool closure and around our 2-week August shutdown. Generally the Masters that are swimming these meets will have to find somewhere to train on their own for a week. We've tried to set up alternate Masters practices and sometimes only one swimmer would show up.

The newer folks on the team have a tough time understanding full dues on months where we take breaks. It simplifies billing and budgeting for a year-round program both for parents and for the team. The pool rent is the same each month, as are the coach salaries. Dues are just set as 1/12 of the income needed towards annual team expenses.

When I was growing up, our [pre-USAS] AAU team only trained May-Jul. HS season was Sep-Nov for girls, Nov-Feb for boys. There was a very recreational YMCA team Sep-Feb. There was no organized USMS team but sometimes adults would go to AAU meets. So we had very long breaks. It was hard to get into the sport age 15 on those schedules.

swimmj
February 24th, 2010, 01:27 PM
There is a 2 week break at spring break, and then a 3 week break in late August/early September.

elise526
February 24th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the input! It looks like just about everybody takes a couple of weeks in August.

I really like the schedule that swimmj posted, especially for a swimmer that is my son's age.

magick17
February 25th, 2010, 11:29 AM
my son is 11 and his swimming break runs through the month of august. We general cruise right into long course after short course and fortunately have a long course pool , although strangely enough the school district does allow us the use it in the summer. Weird...