PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Summer Nationals Info

SurfAndSwim
February 24th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I see on the USMS website the dates are set for the summer nationals for Sunday August 8 through Thursday August 12.

I have a few questions.... where is the pool located in the city?

Why isn't the meet Wed through Sunday or Thurs to Monday?

What is the order of events?

Betsy
February 25th, 2010, 07:07 PM
i think the pool is in Parque de Las Americas.

Doug Adamavich
February 26th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Why isn't the meet Wed through Sunday or Thurs to Monday?

I think the idea behind having this a Monday-Friday meet (open water event on Friday) is to encourage participants to stay around after the meet and see the island. That way people can actually see the area they are swimming in, not just going between the hotel, pool, and airport.

Its a great concept and my plan is to come a few days early and stay a few days after. I'm looking forward to it, never been to the Caribbean and am excited to get out of the summer heat of Arizona during August!

What is the order of events?

They are swimming Schedule 1 of the Meet Schedules (2010-2011). This is on Page 29 of the current Rulebook.

See you there!

mbmg3282
February 27th, 2010, 11:32 PM
The meet dates are Monday, August 9 - Thursday, August 12. An open water swim is planned on Friday. The facility is the San Juan Natatorium in Parque Central in San Juan.

The reason for selecting the Monday - Thursday schedule was in part because we believed this would be a destination event. In addition to the competition, we thought that athletes might want to bring their families or have time to enjoy the island before or after the meet.

The order of events is not yet determined, but is being voted on by the Championship Committee in their meeting Sunday, February 28th.

cjquill
March 1st, 2010, 10:09 AM
According to page 29 of the 2010 Rule Book, Schedule 1 will be used for the 2010 Long Course Championships. Why is this being changed several months after publication?

Allen Stark
March 2nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
At Indy Nats the flyer they were giving out for Puerto Rico had the order of events.

mbmg3282
March 10th, 2010, 10:08 PM
There was a request by the championship committee that we agreed to which moved the relay from the end of the last day. It was explained to us that this will improve the accuracy of the team scores. Many relays at the end of the meet change swimmers, etc. It takes time to get that information accurate. Moving the relay earlier improves that.

The revised (last day only) order of events should be released soon. This assumes it is approved by the rules committee and then the executive committee.

cjquill
March 11th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I am grateful for the clarification. Having booked my flights in December I was concerned that it would impact my plans.

I'm sure many of us are looking forward to more details on the competition facility and housing options. When might they become available?

THANX IN ADVANCE!

pwolf66
March 11th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Could one of the PTBs change this thread title to '2011 Summer Nationals Info'? I keep getting confused.

EDIT: See, I'm confused. Argh.

Never mind. PR is this year not next year. Sigh.

MPohlmann
March 11th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I believe they are indeed talking about Summer 2010 in Puerto Rico, not 2011.

jim clemmons
March 14th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Could one of the PTBs change this thread title to '2011 Summer Nationals Info'? I keep getting confused.

EDIT: See, I'm confused. Argh.

Never mind. PR is this year not next year. Sigh.

Wait until you hit the big five-oh. :confused: It gets worse before it gets better, Paul.

Chris Stevenson
March 15th, 2010, 10:22 AM

Auburn and PR are easily confused. The language, climate and culture of the two locations are virtually indistinguishable.

pwolf66
March 15th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Auburn and PR are easily confused. The language, climate and culture of the two locations are virtually indistinguishable.

Hmm, already admitted that i'm a basketcase AND you still have to pile on???

Nice. :blah: :blah:

Kurt Dickson
March 16th, 2010, 12:04 AM
The reason for selecting the Monday - Thursday schedule was in part because we believed this would be a destination event. In addition to the competition, we thought that athletes might want to bring their families or have time to enjoy the island before or after the meet.

Any chance of making the open water USS sanctioned so my daughter could make this a destination event as well? Of course it would be cheaper to just leave her home:)

pwb
March 16th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Any chance of making the open water USS sanctioned so my daughter could make this a destination event as well?Great idea! Not sure if it could get me there given how **** early school starts here in AZ, but that could make it more interesting and potentially more viable.

Doug Adamavich
March 16th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Any chance of making the open water USS sanctioned so my daughter could make this a destination event as well? Of course it would be cheaper to just leave her home:)

I thought your daughter was already a masters swimmer...or do I have the wrong one in mind? See, it would be easier if you didn't have so many kids:)

You should take your wife and leave the kids at home, that way mom and dad could have some tropical fun...:bliss:

Kurt Dickson
March 16th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I thought your daughter was already a masters swimmer...or do I have the wrong one in mind? See, it would be easier if you didn't have so many kids:)

You should take your wife and leave the kids at home, that way mom and dad could have some tropical fun...:bliss:

...or a tropical mugging.:)

I have 2 that could potentially swim masters. I was planning on (gently) forcing my wife to swim the 50 or something. I also have 2 age-groupers.

Doug Adamavich
March 16th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I have 2 that could potentially swim masters.

Cool, have them swim in the meet! Sounds like there won't be a lot of people from AZ going so the more the merrier.

I was planning on (gently) forcing my wife to swim the 50 or something. I also have 2 age-groupers.

Hey, if your wife can swim open water events she could do the 400 or 800. There is an open water swim on Friday supposedly, don't know what the distance is though.

BTW, just saw that the page is up for this event:

http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats10/

I think this is going to be a lot of fun and am totally looking forward to it. If what I have seen is true, it looks like a great facility to swim in!

pmbchill
March 20th, 2010, 06:30 PM
What is the distance of the ow swim in Puerto Rico?

Allen Stark
March 22nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Can anyone give me real information about the driving situation to the pool and around the area.I have gotten a really good deal to stay at a resort in Rio Grande which seems not too far from San Juan,but is it going to take me 1 1/2 hr to get there.The online map services imply 30-45 min,but is that reasonable.Also,I can't find the exact address for the pool,just that it is in Parque Central,HELP!!

Michael Heather
March 25th, 2010, 01:40 AM
The meet dates are Monday, August 9 - Thursday, August 12. An open water swim is planned on Friday. The facility is the San Juan Natatorium in Parque Central in San Juan.

After little noodling around, I have not been able to find either the park name or anything referred to as a natatorium in San Juan. Can we get some more detailed information? I know people have been there, I just want to find it on a map.

matysekj
March 25th, 2010, 09:36 AM
After little noodling around, I have not been able to find either the park name or anything referred to as a natatorium in San Juan. Can we get some more detailed information? I know people have been there, I just want to find it on a map.

Just go to maps.google.com and search for "San Juan Natatorium" or "Parque Central, San Juan, PR" and you'll get a very nice map showing the pool location. I have yet to find a street address for the natatorium, but it's very easy to find on mapping services.

Michael Heather
March 26th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks Jim.

I use Yahoo maps for driving directions, but have found that their satellite photos are woefully out of date. Probably 4 or more years old. The pool doesn't exist yet on Yahoo.