PDA

View Full Version : USMS Calendar

knelson
February 25th, 2010, 12:53 PM
A thought came to me last night that it would be pretty cool if USMS produced a wall calendar. My thought was to have a photo contest open to all USMS members and the winners' photos would be published in the calendar. What does everyone think? Good idea or bad?

aquageek
February 25th, 2010, 01:19 PM
If there's any chance I will have an entire month of looking at a picture of wolf or wookie then this is the worst idea ever.

Karen Duggan
February 25th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Oh come on Geek, you know that you would secretly re-decorate your entire house with wookie paper! People would wonder if your walls grew fur :lmao:

I think it's a great idea Kirk.

knelson
February 25th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Oh come on, like photos of those two would have a chance of making the cut! :)

Allen Stark
February 25th, 2010, 02:20 PM
USMS put out a calender one year,about 1980 I think.I don't know why it was never repeated as it seemed a good idea.Maybe it didn't make any money.

knelson
February 25th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Maybe it's time to give it another try! With the digital age I think more people are taking photos and it's certainly much easier to submit them.

The Fortress
February 25th, 2010, 02:27 PM
A thought came to me last night that it would be pretty cool if USMS produced a wall calendar. My thought was to have a photo contest open to all USMS members and the winners' photos would be published in the calendar. What does everyone think? Good idea or bad?

I love the idea. Plus, it would be cool if some big meets or events were on the calendar. They could offer it for $$ when you renew your annual membership and sell them at Nats.

No B70 or LZR rips please!

pdjang
February 25th, 2010, 03:06 PM
The current issue of USMS Swimmer magazine has a cool centerfold (although I didn't make the cut).

I'll second the idea that a calendar of masters swimmers would be a great fund raiser.

In fact, the pictures and stories of the masters swimmers on the USMS home page would be a great start!

JimRude
February 25th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I propose to cut out the bureaucracy, and simply have the forumites create a calendar. One or more people can take responsibility for sourcing photos, and we could even have a poll to select the top 12 (or more) images.

Then, making use of modern technology (such as www.zazzle.com), people can order as many as they like online.

Yes, no, maybe so?

pwolf66
February 25th, 2010, 03:24 PM
If there's any chance I will have an entire month of looking at a picture of wolf or wookie then this is the worst idea ever.

I promise to shave my chest.

Wookie's on his own.

pwolf66
February 25th, 2010, 03:25 PM

Or B70 pics that extend below the waist. :afraid:

swimshark
February 25th, 2010, 03:34 PM

But Fort, I have the perfect rip picture for the calendar. It's decent and you look good!

The Fortress
February 25th, 2010, 03:36 PM
But Fort, I have the perfect rip picture for the calendar. It's decent and you look good!

Is that the one with the sweatshirt covering my ass?

At least I only flashed my poor relay partner.

Speedo
February 25th, 2010, 03:57 PM

William does seem to be smiling more than usual in that picture.

btw- I'd buy a calendar- great idea.

Karen Duggan
February 25th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Submitting photos through the forumites is a great idea too. That way we can all see all the photos but choose how ever many "we" decide for the calendar.

BTW, IMHO, you can have dozens of pictures on the calendar. You could make each month a collage. Or even the days of the month (with no number) could have little pictures inserted in those squares.

I might also suggest that people's pictures get put on their birthday.
I'm completely kidding, b/c I know Rhode Island Red (aka Leslie) would hog OUR day in July. :lmao:

The Fortress
February 25th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I might also suggest that people's pictures get put on their birthday.
I'm completely kidding, b/c I know Rhode Island Red (aka Leslie) would hog OUR day in July. :lmao:

I'm sure Jimi's bro, John, could photo shop our smiling faces together! Or, bette yet, we can take photos in Atlanta!

Oh, Pete, that picture was a pre-relay shot by Tim.

ande
February 25th, 2010, 04:15 PM
just start a website the people of USMS
similar to
people of walmart

knelson
February 25th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Personally I'd like to see photos of people swimming. Pool swimming, open water, training, whatever. Geek does have a point. I don't care who it is, I don't want to see anyone's mug for a month straight.

swimshark
February 25th, 2010, 06:22 PM

Yes... if only, for Geek's benefit, I had gotten the money shot.

orca1946
February 26th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I like the idea of voting the top 12 for it !

fastback
February 26th, 2010, 06:10 PM
In 1987 and 1988 the Marketing committee produced a full color, glossy, professionally photographed wall calendar. The intent was to use it as a fund raiser. The idea was the inspiration of the late, legendary Dore Schwab. We solicited full body shot submissions from Masters swimmers and selected the man and a women from each age group with the best bodies (25-29 through 80+). They posed as couples. 1987 was photographed at the Indian River nationals and 1988 at Stanford. Many of the models are still very active Masters swimmers including Tom Boak, Jane Katz, Ted Hartz, Gail Roper, Dan Greunder and Nancy and Doris Martin. Alas, the calendars cost more than they brought in, never to be produced again.

fastback
February 26th, 2010, 06:17 PM
This is a sample page from 1988 with Ted Hartz and Gail Roper. Let me know if anyone is interested in seeing all of the photos and I'll take the time to scan them.

fastback
February 26th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Tom Boak and Jane Katz from April 88.

fastback
February 26th, 2010, 06:44 PM
What the whole page looked like. Bill Barthold and Marty Whitney

thewookiee
February 26th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Oh come on, like photos of those two would have a chance of making the cut! :)

legendary Dore Schwab. We solicited full body shot submissions from Masters swimmers and selected the man and a women from each age group with the best bodies (25-29 through 80.

Kirk...don't worry, our mugs usually break cameras. Besides, geek, wolf and I are all out based on the "best bodies" criteria. Well, geek might have a chance if he is listed in the 90+ age group for women