PDA

View Full Version : How much do tech suits benefit a new Masters swimmer?

ElaineK
February 25th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I am a new Masters swimmer, 48 years old, who will be competing in my first meet on March 27 & 28. I haven't competed since 1979 and wasn't that fast then (100yd breaststroke 1:19.6). I don't know my current 100yd breaststroke time, however, my timed 50yd breaststroke diving in from the edge of the pool (no blocks available) was :42.

It has been suggested to me in another thread that I purchase a tech suit for meets. How much time will this save me in short races? I am on a budget and would like use my Speedo Endurance Training suit I purchased on clearance, at least until I get better!

Thanks!

ande
February 25th, 2010, 02:36 PM
more than you'd think, though if you're not concerned with going super duper fast this season, I'd just get a 2010 FINA approved suit

2010 Approved Womens Tech Suits (http://www.swimoutlet.com/SearchResults.asp?Click=766231&Cat=279)

2010 Approved Mens Tech Suits (http://www.swimoutlet.com/SearchResults.asp?Click=766231&Cat=278)

ElaineK
February 25th, 2010, 02:43 PM
When you say, "more than you'd think", can you take a guess as to how much a tech suit would shave off the times I mentioned in my first post? Are we talking seconds or tenths? Thanks, Ande!

Dolphin 2
February 25th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Using a tech suit to improve your time is a factor that does not increase your personal skill at swimming.

Therefore I'd just forget about the whole idea of shelling out the extra $$$ for an expensive suit and concentrate on making some real improvements. :)

D2

androvski
February 25th, 2010, 03:00 PM
If you're just starting out I don't think it's worth it.

Cheers.

knelson
February 25th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Are we talking seconds or tenths?

A couple seconds per hundred isn't out of the question, in my opinion.

ElaineK
February 25th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks for everybody's input so far! I definitely lean towards the idea that it's "not worth it" and I especially agree that I have a lot of work to do on my stroke and speed, tech suit or not! But, I was curious as to exactly what kind of time tech suits can shave off of a short race.

I will look forward to more opinions, but I appreciate your posts so far!

Thanks!

Allen Stark
February 25th, 2010, 03:39 PM
A couple seconds per hundred isn't out of the question, in my opinion.
I agree,1-2 sec/100 depending on the suit and your form.The first generation of tech suits seemed to me to benefit breaststroke less than the other strokes,where as the newest ones may benefit breaststroke more.If you are serious about your time I'd get one.They are only good until 6/1/10 and they will skew your idea of what fast is,but they may be worth it.There are some really good deals available now and you can probably get one for less than your poly practice suit cost.

Karen Duggan
February 25th, 2010, 04:13 PM
It is definitely worth it if you want to swim fast. Don't listen to D2, he is completely anti-tech suit.

I dropped 8 sec in my 200 br last March (and I had bronchitis). It does make a difference.

The B70 is good for $100, but I'm more for the FINIS Aqua-something or other for $60. I think it's a bit faster than the B70.
If you have the money, I would do it without any question. It's fun to swim fast (assisted or not).

:2cents:

ande
February 25th, 2010, 04:19 PM
you're a breastroker

if you go a 42, a B70 is likely to help you by a few seconds.
When you're wearing the suit, you want to stay streamlined longer.

What suit did you wear when you went 42?

I'd get a suit that would be legal past this season

When you say, "more than you'd think", can you take a guess as to how much a tech suit would shave off the times I mentioned in my first post? Are we talking seconds or tenths? Thanks, Ande!

ElaineK
February 25th, 2010, 04:22 PM
My Speed Endurance Training suit was purchased on clearance from swimoutlet.com for $35. I've been in the pool for 4 hours/week since last August in that suit and it is still in perfect shape. (I lost three previous suits very quickly, because they were Lycra.) I haven't seen any tech suits that cheap, but $60 wouldn't be so bad. It's amazing how expensive some of the suits are, even on clearance. For an Olympic swimmer, I can see it, but for me, I DON'T think so!

ElaineK
February 25th, 2010, 04:26 PM
In reply to Ande, I used my Speedo Endurance Training suit, the only suit I currently own that's any good for swimming...

Thanks for your opinion on the B70! That's good to know! :)

aquageek
February 25th, 2010, 05:43 PM
It is definitely worth it if you want to swim fast. Don't listen to D2, he is completely anti-tech suit.

He's also not a competitive swimmer, unlike everyone else on here who has given good advice.

You might as well buy one while you can.

Lump
February 25th, 2010, 06:11 PM
In reply to Ande, I used my Speedo Endurance Training suit, the only suit I currently own that's any good for swimming...

Thanks for your opinion on the B70! That's good to know! :)

I've been wearing the same Speedo Endurance suit (until recently when I got a FS Pro Jammer for meets) in practice, OW events, and meets for over a year! They do last forever.

If you want to use a tech suit before the June 1 cutoff see if you can find the $20 FINIS or a $100 B70. Personally, I just ordered a B70 Nero Comp and I also have a Speedo LZR Full Body I got through a "connection".

aquageek
February 25th, 2010, 06:37 PM
...I got through a "connection".

Lump makes a good point here. There are a ton of very slightly used suits out there. If you swim at a club with a big kid's team, there are a bunch of connections there to mine.

DPC
February 25th, 2010, 09:14 PM
try Finis www.finisinc.com (http://www.finisinc.com) they had some suits left for $20 - $50, and the Yingfa suits are reportedly good and inexpensive. Might as well give it a shot while they are still legal to use.

orca1946
February 25th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Maybe 1 sec per / 100 yards - but they will only be good till June/july. Save the $$$$ & work on technique.

Lump
February 26th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Lump makes a good point here. There are a ton of very slightly used suits out there. If you swim at a club with a big kid's team, there are a bunch of connections there to mine.

Friends in high places (for once!)....NEW and FREE! :D

jim thornton
February 26th, 2010, 11:22 AM
For what it's worth, the high tech suits have made about a 2 second difference per 100 for me--reducing my best 100 free, for instance, from mid 54s to mid 52s. It's probably a percentage thing, so if you are swimming a 1:30 100 breaststroke, you may see more of a drop. My breast stroke is awful, and unlike Allen, I find the tech suits help my breast a lot.

All this aside, I would NOT get a soon-to-be-illegal suit. If you do, and get great times in it, you will then have to try to better these times in future years without the suit's help.

Women, in my opinion, are not going to be hindered nearly as much as men by the FINA ruling.

I highly recommend getting a cheap legal kneeskin made from an older generation material--Aquablade by Speedo, or Aquapel by Tyr. The only difference between women's legal suits here and the soon-to-be illegal ones is that they must stop at the knee, and they can no longer have zippers.

I think you will find such suits give you almost as much help as the soon to be banned kinds. And with these, times you set this year will be comparable in years to come.

As many here have heard me whine, I only wish men were allowed to wear the FINA legal women's suits, too! I may just try this next year, knowing I will be dq'd, to see if my theory of unfair gender bias holds true!

aztimm
February 26th, 2010, 12:12 PM
If you have to ask the question, I think you already know the answer.

Rather than dwell on costs, legal -v- illegal suits, etc I'd back up and ask why you're doing the meet in the first place? Is it more to get times, have a little fun? Is it because you think you've made some breakthroughs? Answering this will probably answer your suit question.

BigNoodler
February 26th, 2010, 12:18 PM
My tech suits do my swimming for me.

Not to side too much with Dolphin, but it was a bit of a shocker to see that most of my improvement was due to tech suits and not my training/ technique. LOL!
It was a bitter pill for me to swallow. I'm sure others have had different experiences but that's my perspective.

I do agree with Kirk on the 1-2 seconds per 100.

Karen Duggan
February 26th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Rather than dwell on costs, legal -v- illegal suits, etc I'd back up and ask why you're doing the meet in the first place? Is it more to get times, have a little fun? Is it because you think you've made some breakthroughs? Answering this will probably answer your suit question.

Tim, you bring up a really good point. My hubby and I were having this conversation last night. I always look to my training times, where I generally don't wear a fast suit, to measure my improvement. I can tell how much I'm improving based on set times, etc.

While the tech suits are fun, I don't put don't much stock in my meet performances with these "stupid fast" suits, I rely much more on my training for real feedback.

Next year, I will again rely on my training. Hopefully, I will be swimming faster times in practice still.

no200fly
February 26th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks for everybody's input so far! I definitely lean towards the idea that it's "not worth it" and I especially agree that I have a lot of work to do on my stroke and speed, tech suit or not! But, I was curious as to exactly what kind of time tech suits can shave off of a short race.

I will look forward to more opinions, but I appreciate your posts so far!

Thanks!

$20 for a Finis suit usable until 6/1/2010 - you cant afford not to get one.

I am still undecided about how much they help. Last year I decided to really prepare for a meet. At LC Nationals, I swam the 50 fly in a speedo brief from the bargain rack at D & J Sports ($15) and had my best time by 2 seconds. On the last day of the meet, Blue 70 was discounting their suits to $150. I bought one and went my best time by 5 seconds. I like to think that the improvement was my effort and not the suit, but you can feel a difference in the resistance in the water when you wear them. It reminded me of the first time I shaved for a meet.

ElaineK
February 26th, 2010, 04:12 PM
If you have to ask the question, I think you already know the answer.

You bring up an excellent point! To be honest, I'm too new at this to have made any breakthroughs! I just joined Masters this month and have not competed in any meets since 1979 (high school)! I'm definitely in it for fun and personal challenge- and to see if I can get my times back down to my high school times using the newer stroke techniques.

The main answer I asked the question in the first place is, because it was suggested by somebody in response to another thread I posted that I get a tech suit. It was in response to my request for general advice to a new Masters swimmer... So, it got me thinking about how much of a benefit it really is to a newbie like me. It was more out of curiosity than anything.

Thanks to all of you who have posted responses to my thread thus far. I appreciate the input and advice very much! For now, I think I'll stick with my sturdy ol' $35 Speedo Endurance Training suit and see how I do for the year. Perhaps I'll set a goal of buying a new LEGAL competition suit, if I can bring my times down to my goal (TBD) in my current suit.... :D

The Fortress
February 26th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Perhaps I'll set a goal of buying a new LEGAL competition suit, if I can bring my times down to my goal (TBD) in my current suit....

Our suits are legal in SCY. You must be talking about post 6/1 suits. I always feel the need to point this out since the haters call people wearing legal tech suits cheaters.

Tech suits are very fun. But it may make sense to just swim with your poly suit to get some baseline times. Whatever you're most comfortable doing.

ElaineK
February 26th, 2010, 04:34 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. I think I will wear my current suit for the remainder of the year to get my baseline times, then work on getting my times down, before I consider a post-6/1 suit in the future. If I reach my goals this year, I can treat myself to a new competition suit for 2011. :D

Ahelee Sue Osborn
February 27th, 2010, 10:10 PM
What is your body type dear girl?

I like the idea of setting some fast times in a very tight and buoyant tech-suit.
Then coming back after the tech-suit ban and getting in even better shape and building overall athleticism to break those tech-suit times.

Regardless, the whole thing should be fun.
Wearing a tech-suit is fun - and fast! What a great way to start your masters swimming career!

See you at the meets :)

ElaineK
February 28th, 2010, 10:41 AM
It's definitely all about the fun for me. :D I loved swimming competitively in high school, but dropped off the Jr. College team, because it wasn't fun anymore. Now I have an opportunity for a second chance at this; something I didn't think I would be able to do after major shoulder surgery (for thoracic outlet syndrome).

I started this thread out of curiosity more than anything. It was obvious to me why tech suits were used in the Olympics, but it just seemed like overkill for many Masters swimmers; especially a new one like me who happens to be on a budget. But, I wanted to know just how much time they really shave off a time. Now I know, thanks to the responses on this thread.

Answering your question regarding body type, I'm 5'71/2", 125 lbs. I have long arms and legs, so I have a thinner build. How would a (legal!) tech suit benefit (or not) my type of build?

Thanks!
Elaine

Lump
February 28th, 2010, 11:19 AM
The "Only" reason I'm wearing a bodysuit until June 1 is because I'm from the old days of paper suits and have never gotten the opportunity to wear a bodysuit. So now I have about 3 meets to try them out. For my price of entry (very little $) I might as well see what the fuss is about.

BigNoodler
February 28th, 2010, 12:25 PM
The "Only" reason I'm wearing a bodysuit until June 1 is because I'm from the old days of paper suits and have never gotten the opportunity to wear a bodysuit.

Wait. Unless you are in the youngish 18-24 age group, wasn't that all of us masters at some point? Old school, paper suit, never wore a full body suit before, want to see what fuss is all about. . . Oh, guess not. I'm sure there are many masters who never will never put on a full body suit. Answered my own question.

And this brings me to my next question. I wish that the coaches who are advising us masters to now lose weight and train harder could advise us to what that actually means.
This direction is so vague it makes me want to pull my hair out. How about some ideal body fat % and BMI ranges for swimmers; distance and frequency of workout goals (doubles? triples? - I hope NOT - seems like too much to me.) I just find it interesting that during the tech suit craze it was all about less is more and now it seems as if I'm being told to train harder and more often.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
February 28th, 2010, 01:11 PM
And this brings me to my next question. I wish that the coaches who are advising us masters to now lose weight and train harder could advise us to what that actually means.
This direction is so vague it makes me want to pull my hair out. How about some ideal body fat % and BMI ranges for swimmers; distance and frequency of workout goals (doubles? triples? - I hope NOT - seems like too much to me.) I just find it interesting that during the tech suit craze it was all about less is more and now it seems as if I'm being told to train harder and more often.

Almost impossible to advise an athlete virtually about these questions.

I would like to see all swimmers focus on improving their athleticism in some way. We all have different stories about time availability, injuries, and commitment levels.
Can you squat, pull yourself out of the pool, do push ups or sit-ups - or run for your life?
Work with your coach or another knowledgeable athlete and find something to improve your basic strength.

I am also fairly lean, but could find ways to get stronger and leaner so my body is closer to the state its in when encased in my sensational B70 Nero even after it is banned...
This isn't rocket science. It means eating better and training smarter - not longer.
(don't get me started on the masters athletes who think they have to swim 5,000+ yard workouts to be fit)

BigNoodler
February 28th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Almost impossible to advise an athlete virtually about these questions.

I would like to see all swimmers focus on improving their athleticism in some way. We all have different stories about time availability, injuries, and commitment levels.
Can you squat, pull yourself out of the pool, do push ups or sit-ups - or run for your life?
Work with your coach or another knowledgeable athlete and find something to improve your basic strength.

I am also fairly lean, but could find ways to get stronger and leaner so my body is closer to the state its in when encased in my sensational B70 Nero even after it is banned...
This isn't rocket science. It means eating better and training smarter - not longer.
(don't get me started on the masters athletes who think they have to swim 5,000+ yard workouts to be fit)

Cripes. That's me. But it's 5,000+ (and I mean waaaaay plus) b/c I really enjoy it. I know I'm somewhat fit.

So for example, if this is what I did Saturday, it's just too much even though I had a blast with the kiddos?

LCM
300 Warm Up
6x200 50 Stroke/ 50 FR @ 3:15
4x150 1 of each stroke IM ORDER 1st 50 - Right arm 25/ left arm 25 2nd 50 Drill 3rd 50 Swim the stroke
8x25 @ :30 IM Order

FLY DAY

8x100 50 Fly Drill/ 50 FR @ 1:30

3 TIMES THROUGH - gah! Went 2nd in the lane and forgot what the heck the intervals were - but let's just say I had around 5 to 10 seconds rest
1x200 FR/ Fly by 50s
1x150 Fly/ FR/ Fly by 50s
1x100 Fly/ FR by 50s
1x50 Fly

4 TIMES THROUGH
4x50 Fly Drill @ 1:05
1x50 EZ
1x50 FAST FLY for time - held 32s on all 4

1x100 EZ

5700 meters

BTW, I DON'T do this every day! LOL! Thanks for the response. I know it's not rocket science but I've had organic chemistry classes that were easier than figuring out correct freestyle stroke.

swimshark
February 28th, 2010, 02:50 PM
)

Good points Ahelee.

Eliane, I've been swimming masters for 10 years now. I don't nor have I ever worn the "latest and greatest" in tech suits yet my times are dropping and I'm making top 10 every year. I just bought the TYR Fusion 2 for $70 that will be legal after 6/1/10 so to me it was an investment. I will save this suit for Nationals and wear my other, older ones until then.

In the mean time, I will work on my body, eating habits, etc to get myself faster. So don't worry about a suit. If you want one, get an inexpensive one just to try it out. But just a basic suit would be good for you, too.

And hopefully we'll see you in Atlanta :) I graduated from Norcross so to me, Nationals will be like going "home".

ElaineK
February 28th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Congratulations! Top ten; I'm impressed! :applaud:

Thanks for your practical advice; it sounds good to me. I just want to see how I do at my first meet, at the end of March, and take it from there... But, I will be at Nationals, hoping to improve my times from whatever I do at my first meet- and, I will be in my training suit! Look for me in a purple and white flowered Speedo Endurance Training suit, in the Women's 45-49 breaststroke. I also plan on joining a GAJA medley relay as a breaststroker.

What events will you be in at National's? I would like to watch for you!

Good luck!

Elaine

swimshark
March 1st, 2010, 10:52 AM
]Thanks for your practical advice; it sounds good to me. I just want to see how I do at my first meet, at the end of March, and take it from there... But, I will be at Nationals, hoping to improve my times from whatever I do at my first meet- and, I will be in my training suit! Look for me in a purple and white flowered Speedo Endurance Training suit, in the Women's 45-49 breaststroke. I also plan on joining a GAJA medley relay as a breaststroker.Elaine[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I will be looking for you.:D We need to start setting up a "forumite meet up" since there will be a lot of us. As for me, I will be swimming the 1000, 500, 200, 50 free, 400 IM and 50 breast. Not sure if the 50 free or 50 breast will be my 6th event. My dad and sister will be there volunteering as well. :applaud: My dad hasn't seen me swim since 2004 and my sister since 2001 so I'm excited. My sister swims with the Killer Whales and my dad swims on his own in Gwinnett County.

Lump
March 1st, 2010, 11:37 AM
Wait. Unless you are in the youngish 18-24 age group, wasn't that all of us masters at some point? Old school, paper suit, never wore a full body suit before, want to see what fuss is all about. . . Oh, guess not. I'm sure there are many masters who never will never put on a full body suit. Answered my own question.

I'm 38. I have 3 meets (one being Nationals) to wear it. I have an idea of what my times will be in the post June 1 "tech jammer" as I wore a FS Pro Jammer at my last meet. At Nationals I'm pretty sure that most of the Top 20 swimmers will be wearing bodysuits, so will I.

I train everyday in a Speedo Endurance Square Leg suit, so its not a suit addiction thing for me at all. Hell, the last meet I swam in was the first time I EVER wore ANY sort of jammer. Personally, I could care less about the suit. Sure it helps, but you still have to put the training in.

swimshark
March 1st, 2010, 02:30 PM
I'm 38. I have 3 meets (one being Nationals) to wear it. I have an idea of what my times will be in the post June 1 "tech jammer" as I wore a FS Pro Jammer at my last meet. At Nationals I'm pretty sure that most of the Top 20 swimmers will be wearing bodysuits, so will I.

Nope... mine will be a knee skin. I have never worn anything longer than a knee skin and I've actually only worn that one twice. My other "tech"suits are tanks.

SolarEnergy
March 1st, 2010, 02:52 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. I think I will wear my current suit for the remainder of the year to get my baseline times, then work on getting my times down, before I consider a post-6/1 suit in the future. If I reach my goals this year, I can treat myself to a new competition suit for 2011. :D Not a bad approach.

It think it's well worth remembering that tech suits should help you when comparing your times with those of the other swimmers against who you'll be competing.

It has next to no value in comparing, or I should say monitoring your own personal progression (comparing your times with your own times).

My opinion on the topic isn't even worth a single cent. I have been racing in a very short and conventional bathing suit so far. I was against tech suits at the first place, and I'm still against them.

But maybe it is primarily because
1. I like to focus more on my own improvement
2. So far that didn't stop me from beating a lot of swimmers wearing tech suits or not. In fact, my biggest fun is to beat a tech suit user on the touch. Then I'm saying to myself "So what's next for you tech freak? Gonna spend $100 extra dollars on your next suit? Bring it on... I'll beat you anyway!"

ElaineK
March 1st, 2010, 05:21 PM
I will be looking for you.:D We need to start setting up a "forumite meet up" since there will be a lot of us. As for me, I will be swimming the 1000, 500, 200, 50 free, 400 IM and 50 breast.

Great idea! Hey, I forgot to ask... What age group are you in so I know when to watch for you? I'll be swimming 50 breast in the 45-49 group.

How cool your family will be there! Mine is all out in California (where I am from), so they won't be there to see me. I'll have to get my husband to record one of the races on our camera...

aquageek
March 1st, 2010, 05:25 PM
Is this for the St. Patty's Day Meet? In the past, that meet has enjoyed some good swimming, really good. I need to get to that meet one day.

swimshark
March 1st, 2010, 06:04 PM
Is this for the St. Patty's Day Meet? In the past, that meet has enjoyed some good swimming, really good. I need to get to that meet one day.

Hey, that was my first masters meet ever. Good memories!!

Great idea! Hey, I forgot to ask... What age group are you in so I know when to watch for you? I'll be swimming 50 breast in the 45-49 group.

How cool your family will be there! Mine is all out in California (where I am from), so they won't be there to see me. I'll have to get my husband to record one of the races on our camera...

I'll be 35-39 age group (I'm 39). Once you get there and meet everyone, we'll all be family :D and be cheering for you. I lived in Oregon for 5 years so I can relate to family being on the other side of the country.

Lump
March 1st, 2010, 06:11 PM
Dynamo, my Masters team, is hosting the St. Pat's meet. Yes, it will be a fast meet, several WR and National, State, Regional record holders will be there.

ElaineK
March 1st, 2010, 06:28 PM

I was asking "Swimshark" about Nationals, but I will be at the St. Patricks Day meet, as well. It will be my first Masters meet and first competition in 30 years! I am going to try not to drown in the 200 breast, my first event. The others will be: 50 and 100 breaststroke and medley relay. This is where I hope to get some decent seed times and compete in Nationals...

swimshark
March 1st, 2010, 06:48 PM

I was asking "Swimshark" about Nationals, but I will be at the St. Patricks Day meet, as well. It will be my first Masters meet and first competition in 30 years! I am going to try not to drown in the 200 breast, my first event. The others will be: 50 and 100 breaststroke and medley relay. This is where I hope to get some decent seed times and compete in Nationals...

Elaine, St Pattys was my first masters meet, too. It's a good one to start off with. Enjoy :)

I used to be a Dynamo Master. I lived in GA until 2001 when I moved to Oregon and now Virginia.

ElaineK
March 1st, 2010, 07:19 PM
Thanks! Hey, what age group will you be swimming in at Nationals?

swimshark
March 1st, 2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks! Hey, what age group will you be swimming in at Nationals?

35-39. I'll be 39 :)

ElaineK
March 7th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Duh, I noticed you did tell me that in an earlier post and I missed it! :blush:
I'll be cheering for you, too! :D

swimshark
March 7th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Duh, I noticed you did tell me that in an earlier post and I missed it! :blush:
I'll be cheering for you, too! :D

That's all right. I don't mind repeating the 39 part... I'll keep repeating it when I'm 40, too :afraid:

BigNoodler
March 8th, 2010, 11:29 AM
So, regarding the new, approved FINA legal suits that we all need to wear beginning June 1, is anyone else fainting at the price to value (value for me meaning it's a slower suit) ratio of a women's suit?

Speedo LZR Racer Elite $370
Tyr ShortJohn $370
B70 option $300

Some of the kids I train with bought the Speedo version and said that on the final day of the 3 day meet, it was done and stretched out. So much for the theory regarding making this sport affordable for poor little Johnny. Tell me what I'm missing so that I don't feel guilty buying one of these.

The Fortress
March 8th, 2010, 11:35 AM
So, regarding the new, approved FINA legal suits that we all need to wear beginning June 1, is anyone else fainting at the price to value (value for me meaning it's a slower suit) ratio of a women's suit?

Speedo LZR Racer Elite $370
Tyr ShortJohn $370
B70 option $300

Some of the kids I train with bought the Speedo version and said that on the final day of the 3 day meet, it was done and stretched out. So much for the theory regarding making this sport affordable for poor little Johnny. Tell me what I'm missing so that I don't feel guilty buying one of these.

I said long ago, and many times, that B70s were going to be more affordable than these new paper suits. I believe my argument was largely dismissed.

BigNoodler
March 8th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I said long ago, and many times, that B70s were going to be more affordable than these new paper suits. I believe my argument was largely dismissed.

Can I say, "YOU WERE RIGHT!!!"

So I used to get 30+ swims out of my FAST B70 for $399 vs.

SLOWER suit $370 good for 1 meet or less.

:confused::confused::confused:

pwb
March 8th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Can I say, "YOU WERE RIGHT!!!"

So I used to get 30+ swims out of my FAST B70 for $399 vs.

SLOWER suit $370 good for 1 meet or less.

:confused::confused::confused:Will the new B70s be any substantially different material and last longer? I'm not thinking of myself (reduced to jammers), but my teenager who is now competing in a TYR Tracer Light.

The Fortress
March 8th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Will the new B70s be any substantially different material and last longer? I'm not thinking of myself (reduced to jammers), but my teenager who is now competing in a TYR Tracer Light.

No, I understand they're made from the same material as the Speedo Elite suit.

I'm planning on using my kid's stretched out one at my next SCM meet.

jim thornton
March 8th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I'm planning on using my kid's stretched out one at my next SCM meet.

Stretched out for some may be too tight for others.

Not saying this is the case with Ali and Leslie.

But not saying it isn't, either.

As they say, I am...

Just sayin'

Allen Stark
March 9th, 2010, 10:43 AM
The new version of hand me downs,the smallest swimmer buys the suit,wears it for a meet then gives it to the next larger swimmer.A team could get several meets out of one suit.
I do wonder what some people consider stretched out.My first LZR goes on much easier,but it is still a struggle to zip up and would be uncomfortable to wear very long after 5 meets.