PDA

View Full Version : Help with a truly minimal program

jstonebarger
February 26th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I'm relatively new to swimming and I'm facing a dilema: as bike racing season begins I need to cut back on my swimming, but I don't want to lose all progress I've made over the winter.

I'm not worried about losing fitness so much as technique. For that matter, I don't want to tire myself enough to hinder other training. So what would be my best bet for just three hours a week or so of swimming? Slow short sets and drills?

Any ideas would be a help. Thanks.

rtodd
February 26th, 2010, 11:33 AM
You can get alot done in an hour, three times a week. An hour will give you 2600 to 3600 yds, so you would have time to warm up, drill and do a quality set or two, three times a week. That should be OK for maintaining some level of swim ability and would certainly maintain your technique.

orca1946
February 26th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Cut back ,but don't stop. All cross training is good !

nkfrench
February 26th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Good question. You'll get plenty of cardiovascular work on the bike. You'll want to maintain your swim muscle endurance, technique and speed; but not trash yourself for your bike workouts.

I'd include some easy kicking to recover tired legs; and some drills that will work on your abs/back (eg: dolphin kicks on back w/ fins). I also recommend some butterfly to keep your upperbody strength. Make sure you stretch after you get warmed up even if it means less time for swimming.

My HS coach said to maintain off-season basic fitness a solid 1000yd swim done 3 times a week will suffice. But that assumed that we weren't doing anything else for exercise.

Another thought is that if you have some major stroke flaws, this is the time to address them. Like learning how to breathe on both sides, increasing distance per stroke, working on streamlines coming off the pool walls.

tomtopo
February 27th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I'm relatively new to swimming and I'm facing a dilema: as bike racing season begins I need to cut back on my swimming, but I don't want to lose all progress I've made over the winter.

I'm not worried about losing fitness so much as technique. For that matter, I don't want to tire myself enough to hinder other training. So what would be my best bet for just three hours a week or so of swimming? Slow short sets and drills?

Any ideas would be a help. Thanks.

I agree with rtodd, you can do a lot with three hours. May I suggest the following:

Specificity training or training at race distance and race pace should be a primary strategy. Effective drilling before and after your bout should take up the rest of the time. Pace work at race intervals is another specific training strategy. Good luck, Coach T.