PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for keeping goggles in place during race start

ElaineK
February 28th, 2010, 05:09 PM
How do I keep my otherwise well-fitted goggles in place when I hit the water off the starting block, BESIDES making them tighter? I never used them in high school meets, because of the same problem. But, I really DO want to use them now in my first Masters swim meet...

Problem: I have a narrow face and bone structure that makes goggles very difficult to fit. Trying them on the same way I do a mask (making sure there is good suction w/o the strap on), I finally found the last pair to fit, after trying every single model on at Dick's Sporting Goods. I ended up with an Aqua Sphere that I like that doesn't leak water and stays in place comfortably when I swim. BUT, even when I tighten up the strap, it still slips when I hit the water off the blocks, even while wearing a cap. I am trying to get my arms and head in the correct position, but I am still not sure what I am doing wrong. (I've been watching You Tube videos, since I am swimming most of the time on my own, because I am located too far from the closest Masters team.)

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
Elaine

Edward The Head
February 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I've always found that when I lose my goggles it's because I've picked up my head just after hitting the water. Try keeping your head down and see if that helps.

Allen Stark
February 28th, 2010, 06:06 PM
They should be very tight,almost uncomfortably so.Put your cap on over the goggles straps and pull the cap down so the front edge of the cap covers the top edge of the goggles.

ElaineK
February 28th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks Edward and Allen for the great advice! :)

Bobinator
February 28th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I remind myself to "put my chin on my neck" when I dive off blocks.
If that doesn't work you might need a sleeker google for racing. The Aqua Sphere googles are comfy and have wide range of vision but they are very bulky! Mine tend to waver a little on flip turns and fast push-offs. I think they are considered an open water google.

ElaineK
February 28th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Great reminder- thanks!

I wouldn't mind trying to find another pair of goggles, but I tried several models on at other stores, before trying them ALL at Dick's. I was just lucky to find anything that fit! I'll keep on trying whenever I'm at a sporting goods store... (There isn't a swim specialty store in my area.)

Bobinator
February 28th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Google "Swim Outlet" or "Swim 2000" (others out there too). These are on-line swim shops and carry a wide variety of googles. I have great luck with TYR Femme googles. They are smaller for a female face. They have 2 or 3 models that are Femme. My favorites are the femme T-72 Petite! These googles are cheap ($9 to $10 dollars), have a totally adjustable nose bridge, low profile for diving and turns, and come metallized or regular lenses. I have stock-piled 12 pairs in case they stop making them. I never see these googles in swim shops, only on-line.

jbs
February 28th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Great reminder- thanks!

I wouldn't mind trying to find another pair of goggles, but I tried several models on at other stores, before trying them ALL at Dick's. I was just lucky to find anything that fit! I'll keep on trying whenever I'm at a sporting goods store... (There isn't a swim specialty store in my area.)

To the extent that your problem is really one of fit of the goggles rather than the form of your dive, I wonder if you are trying goggles that have adjustable nose pieces? It seems like most of the time when I can't get a good fit it's because the individual lenses aren't the right distance apart--though in my case, I usually need to make them wider rather than narrower. It can also really affect that feeling of suction too. Sometimes when I try on goggles out of the box they won't feel like they fit--only to fit well when I swap out the nose pieces.

If you haven't already, it might be worthwhile looking online for an inexpensive pair that's adjustable and see if a narrower nose piece helps. Swedish goggles are really cheap and you basically tie them together, so you can make them any width you want. On the other hand, something a little more expensive like the Speedo Vanquisher usually comes with 5 nose pieces you can try--and if they are still too wide, I've seen people use bits of rubber strap to hold the goggles together.

Hope that helps.

chaos
February 28th, 2010, 08:00 PM
i tap them to get extra suction..... really.

waves101
February 28th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I took 10 years off from college to my first masters meet. In that time, Speedo quit making the goggles I had always used. It took me over 20 pair before I found what works for me. They also are the longest lasting goggles I've ever worn. Try the View Sniper. Probably will only find online but they are smaller socket style and may meet your needs.

Lump
February 28th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Tightness doesn't help that much. Practice you starts, tucking your chin, keeping the head down, and a clean entry...that pretty much should cure it. Being a distance swimmer in my "real" competitive years I always wore fairly loose googles due to the distance I was swimming and never had an issue. It just takes some practice.

I have more of an issue now because I shave my head and there isn't much for the straps to hang on to. I also don't get to practice starts either because I train alone during "free swim" times. They require me to have a coach on deck. However I did find an older lifeguard (retired school teacher) that lets me when he's head guard.

heidi k
February 28th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I have the Aqua Sphere Kaiman Jr. goggles. I find that the strap moves down when I dive. For racing I put the strap under my cap and the goggles always stay in place. No need to tighten excessively.

hnatkin
February 28th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I agree with Lump. It's not about tightness, it's about tucking your head. You're most likely not tucking enought - make sure your elbows are above your ears when you streamline to dive into the pool andchin to your neck. Practice every day until you get it.

3strokes
February 28th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I agree with Lump. It's not about tightness, it's about tucking your head. You're most likely not tucking enought - make sure your elbows are above your ears when you streamline to dive into the pool and chin to your neck. Practice every day until you get it.

Just to add to some very good advice.

When tucking your chin IN, try to see your feet while you're in the air.

On the same subject I have found a few pairs that will not leak, if tight and they're more streamlined than my regular oversized Speedo Bajas. I swim all my "regular" swims in Bajas, and my races in Technoflex or Raceflex or Velocity.

ande
February 28th, 2010, 10:50 PM
here's a sff tip I wrote on this topic

http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=207714&postcount=1396

Stevepowell
March 1st, 2010, 11:12 AM
Try youth goggles:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/Swim_Goggles_s/319.htm

ElaineK
March 1st, 2010, 12:49 PM
here's a sff tip I wrote on this topic

http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=207714&postcount=1396

Ande, this was excellent- thanks! :)

To all of you who posted on this thread:
THANK YOU!!! :applaud:
The advice has been terrific and I have been taking notes! I really do appreciate all your help.

Cheers!
Elaine

androvski
March 1st, 2010, 12:51 PM
Search around for Swedish Goggles (http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1147.htm). Because you have to assemble them yourself (don't worry, it's only a bit difficult for the first time!) you can properly adjust them to fit your face structure just right!

The only downside is that they may be uncomfortable when you start using them.

Cheers!

orca1946
March 1st, 2010, 04:00 PM
As a new swimmer, try to stretch your arms out & then in , so the biceps push against the goggles. After 1000 dives , you will find keeping the head down will help.

jessicafk11
March 1st, 2010, 04:44 PM
In high school I almost never had google issues but when preparing for my first Masters meet, I found that I was doing something wrong as they kept coming off and I was getting frustrated. I wanted to enjoy the meet no matter what my times were but I did actually want to be able to swim the events I entered. I tightened the goggles and I scheduled a one on one coaching session (i.e. private swim lesson) at the pool I usually swim at. They set me up with a coach who has a lot of experience (I was hoping they would schedule me with him since I have talked with him before and have seen him coaching others) because of my own experience. I got 30 minutes to work on starts. It didn't take anywhere near that long to help me (I looked up when I shouldn't have) and the rest of the time we worked on improving my turns and pull out.

Good luck!

ElaineK
March 6th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Google "Swim Outlet" or "Swim 2000" (others out there too). These are on-line swim shops and carry a wide variety of googles. I have great luck with TYR Femme googles. They are smaller for a female face. They have 2 or 3 models that are Femme. My favorites are the femme T-72 Petite! These googles are cheap ($9 to $10 dollars), have a totally adjustable nose bridge, low profile for diving and turns, and come metallized or regular lenses. I have stock-piled 12 pairs in case they stop making them. I never see these googles in swim shops, only on-line.

Hey, Bobinator, my Tyr Femme T-72 Petite just arrived from Swimoutlet.com, along with the second cap I ordered. I'll try them out in the pool tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion! I think they'll work out fine!