PDA

View Full Version : Swiming tethered training sets

qbrain
March 1st, 2010, 01:47 PM
In the near future, I will be doing a lot of training in some very short pools and I was planning on purchasing a Strechcordz short belt to use for tethered training.

Since I will be doing a lot of training, I was wondering if anyone on the forums had any suggestions for sets to do tethered.

chowmi
March 1st, 2010, 03:34 PM
Is LazyWife traveling with you? You can borrow my Gridge belt! I bought it for my girls. It's a two sided belt so you swim against each other.

I use a stretchcord and do workouts on my own about once a week. Here are things I do:

1. Long cord - swim to the other side - concentrate on front catch and emphasize forward momentum with the kick You can customize with a short cord by going reps of fast stroke to simulate a fast 50, something like 8 x 30 reps at full speed.

2. Kicking - same with kicking, arms either at your side or in front. Work that power girdle! Go about 50 fast kicks.

Rest as needed. This is for POWER!
Things I think about: catch grab and go! repeat over and over. Be aggressive! Again, the empahsis is on lots of rest and great bursts of effort.

Another thing to do in a short pool is push back kicks. I think these are great. You face the wall with both hands, push back in a streamline, then kick back with no breath. All out now! And no wimpy push backs! Give yourself a big heave-ho! You will find a greater sense of streamlining (it's hard going backwards!) and then start kicking before you lose momentum. This makes you work really hard to build speed going back to the wall.

Then try a few pushoffs off the wall - amazing how strong you feel going the "right" direction!

Easy to travel with? I'm also a big fan of my jump rope and my Perfect Pushup arm-things. When you get something that is labeled "as seen on TV! and is called perfect, you find yourself trying to really do them perfectly! no sagging tummy and 2 inch arm bends here!

qbrain
March 1st, 2010, 04:47 PM
Is LazyWife traveling with you? You can borrow my Gridge belt! I bought it for my girls. It's a two sided belt so you swim against each other.

I use a stretchcord and do workouts on my own about once a week. Here are things I do:

1. Long cord - swim to the other side - concentrate on front catch and emphasize forward momentum with the kick You can customize with a short cord by going reps of fast stroke to simulate a fast 50, something like 8 x 30 reps at full speed.

2. Kicking - same with kicking, arms either at your side or in front. Work that power girdle! Go about 50 fast kicks.

Rest as needed. This is for POWER!
Things I think about: catch grab and go! repeat over and over. Be aggressive! Again, the empahsis is on lots of rest and great bursts of effort.

Another thing to do in a short pool is push back kicks. I think these are great. You face the wall with both hands, push back in a streamline, then kick back with no breath. All out now! And no wimpy push backs! Give yourself a big heave-ho! You will find a greater sense of streamlining (it's hard going backwards!) and then start kicking before you lose momentum. This makes you work really hard to build speed going back to the wall.

Then try a few pushoffs off the wall - amazing how strong you feel going the "right" direction!

Easy to travel with? I'm also a big fan of my jump rope and my Perfect Pushup arm-things. When you get something that is labeled "as seen on TV! and is called perfect, you find yourself trying to really do them perfectly! no sagging tummy and 2 inch arm bends here!

Haha, there is some funny stuff in there Michelle.

LazyWife is going but I don't think the gridge belt would be very popular after I drug her around the pool a few times. Thanks for the offer!

I like your long cord and kicking suggestions, and I am glad to hear you actually use these. Maybe I will come back a sprinter ;)

As for drylands, I will have access to a decent gym setup, just not a good training pool most of the trip. Free weights, stationary bike, treadmill, yoga balls and a 8M pool.

preeder61
March 3rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
I prefer to use a tether that attaches at the ankle instead of the waist because I always get tangled in the cords and just quit kicking. The Aqua Sphere Swim Cords work well.

You can do all sorts of interesting sets based on fatigue, not distance. Like intervals of hard swimming stretching the cords past a landmark in the pool. You can also maintain your position over something you place on the bottom (like a quarter). Swim out to the quarter and hold there for 25 strokes and release. If you equate the number of strokes to pool lengths, you can assume 12-15 strokes per length. I also like to do max sets of swimming hard against the cord for as long as you can, then rest for 20 seconds and repeat for a set period of time.

However, swimming with a tether does change your breathing some because your head does not cause a wake for you to breath behind like in a pool, so you tent to have to rotate more to get a water-free breath.

Butch Cameron
November 7th, 2012, 07:42 PM
I swim everyday using a tether due to a brain injury i received in a bike vs.car crash, It has been a godsend to me . I swim an hour everyday I have to swim with my eyes closed due to dizziness , I start with easy free for ten minutes then I switched to back ,one thing with tethered swimming backstroke is a blast , when I was a real swimmer the 500 was my favorite event I did. Mostly free
Swimming tethered I have come to love back ,I mix equal time free and back .i use breaststroke As a recovery I keep swimming the whole workout no touching the bottom or wall . Tethered swimming has given me back my ability to swim and greatly improved my happiness . .
This is my first post here ,I am most happy to read all the great post here .
Cheers