PDA

View Full Version : Swimming the Check-off Challenge

ViveBene
March 2nd, 2010, 09:10 AM
There is a nice article by Linda Shoenberger as the March Fitness article on swimming all the events without the utter hopelessness of knowing you are guaranteed to be dead last in a competition environment. It starts:

"Once upon a time there was a swimmer who didnít want to compete in swim competitions. She just wanted to do fitness swimming and enjoy the camaraderie of a USMS workout group.

"But she also wanted to swim all the pool races offered in USMS competition. She couldnít imagine herself racing the 200 butterfly in front of a bunch of other swimmers, coaches and spectators. But she could imagine herself swimming the 200 butterfly in practice at a leisurely pace without the pressure of being at a swim meet."

So the coach encouraged people to do the Check-off Challenge and made time during workouts for swimmers who wanted to, to swim the events.

:)
(Nice coach, pat pat...)

qbrain
March 2nd, 2010, 09:24 AM
We did this last year as a team, I think 1 person might have completed the check off challenge.

The problem is, you still have to be motivated enough to swim a 200 fly for no other reason than to get a check mark.

"Today's main set is the 200 fly for time, or I am going to hammer your toes with a mallet. Ok, who is ready for some fly?" Silence.

ViveBene
March 2nd, 2010, 09:35 AM
Yes, that 200 fly does give one pause.
Something to work toward?

(Ouch! Ouch! Not the mallet!)

qbrain
March 2nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
I will take the mallet and cheer for you ;)

Jimbosback
March 2nd, 2010, 12:52 PM
I choose the mallet.

orca1946
March 2nd, 2010, 02:26 PM
Taking it easy & improve your self esteem is a good thing.
This year , at age 63 , I went off my rocker at practice one night &
went 1,000 fly !!!
What was I thinking ? I was really sore for a few days .

That Guy
March 2nd, 2010, 04:49 PM
We did this last year as a team, I think 1 person might have completed the check off challenge.

The problem is, you still have to be motivated enough to swim a 200 fly for no other reason than to get a check mark.

"Today's main set is the 200 fly for time, or I am going to hammer your toes with a mallet. Ok, who is ready for some fly?" Silence.

Ambush is a possible strategy, but it can fall apart on you. True story: many years ago after we warmed down from a 7000+ yard workout, our coach made the surprise announcement that we were doing a 200 for time, diving off the blocks. And then he called up the flyers first, so we didn't even have time to think about it. Good move - no time for dread. So we dove in and started swimming the 200 fly. Me and another guy were even at the 100 in about 1:01. Then I turned at the 125 and he was just not there. I can't see him anymore, where did he go? I finished in a rockin' 2:07 and he came limping in maybe 20 seconds later. I said "what happened?" Everybody behind the blocks was still laughing. Apparently he switched to slow one-arm fly after the 100... waaaaait just a minute here. How is it possible that there is no piano smiley? I'd gladly trade the birthday cake thing for a falling piano...

pwb
March 2nd, 2010, 05:39 PM

The pain of the 200 fly is over-rated: turtle-slow turns with big gasps of air, long pushoffs and lots of kicks in between pulls and you'll get through it.

FYI: I find trying to do each event in each season very fun: I made it last SCY season and am on track this SCY season. It forces you out of your comfort zone and, quite frankly, swimming some "off" events is liberating (low to no expectations).

knelson
March 2nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
The pain of the 200 fly is over-rated

I agree. It's not really that bad if you're a decent flyer and you don't take it out too hard.

ViveBene
March 2nd, 2010, 05:53 PM
I will take the mallet and cheer for you ;)

Thank you! That's a *vast* improvement over my usual cheering section!
It might take the rest of the year to get to the 200 fly, however.

The pain of the 200 fly is over-rated: turtle-slow turns with big gasps of air, long pushoffs and lots of kicks in between pulls and you'll get through it.

FYI: I find trying to do each event in each season very fun: I made it last SCY season and am on track this SCY season. It forces you out of your comfort zone and, quite frankly, swimming some "off" events is liberating (low to no expectations).

Quite frankly, lots of swimming bits are out of my comfort zone.
:o

qbrain
March 2nd, 2010, 08:03 PM
The pain of the 200 fly is over-rated:
I agree. It's not really that bad if you're a decent flyer and you don't take it out too hard.

Look you two, I know you have your pain and pleasure receptors wired backwards, but don't try to inflict that nonsense on those of us with some sanity.

And Chris Stevenson... just... don't even comment.

SolarEnergy
March 5th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Could not agree more. A 200 fly can be swam under vo2max intensity. With little practice, it's possible to hold on to such an intensity level for 4 or 5 minutes without much problem.

Most people fear loosing their ability to recovery the arms over the water after a whilst, and that has more to do with technique (timing) than fitness per se.

But the key is to acknowledge the fact that for most of us (including myself), BF is a slow stroke when performed over a longish distance.

long pushoffs and lots of kicks in between pulls and you'll get through it. Funny enough, I am under intense procedure to get an official FINA ruling in favor of surface dolphin kick. At the moment, some officials are having a hard time interpreting the Rules Book.

Surface dolphin kick offers the huge benefit of allowing you to breathe during the kicking portion of your 200 event, making a 200bf closer to a walk in a park than a suicidal combat mission.