PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Arm!

uknick
March 2nd, 2010, 11:39 AM
Quick Question?

I am finding that as I rotate and breathe in freestyle my leading arm drops – almost like I am leaning on it? when I am not breathing then it is much less of an issue!

I am working on this by trying to get my mouth above my nose (impossible I know) in so doing not lifting my head but keeping it close to my arm as I recover the trailing arm…

So I was wondering if there are any other drills I could work on to encourage rotation, length but crucially stops the arm from dropping as I breathe?

Thanks Nick

qbrain
March 2nd, 2010, 11:49 AM
I think you are probably over rotating when you are breathing. You want your rotation to be the same when you breath and when you are not breathing.

Try to keep one goggle in the water to prevent over rotation of the head, which should prevent over rotation of the shoulders, which should prevent your arm from dropping.

Not really a drill, just something to think about during normal swimming.

__steve__
March 2nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
What helped me with developing a low profile breathing technique (still much room to improve though) are OAD's (one arm drills) and the roll-over drill described in popov's video.

orca1946
March 2nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
I always suggest keeping one eye/goggle lens under water.
do you breathe on both sides ? Try this to help in figuring out your stroke.

uknick
March 2nd, 2010, 06:02 PM
Thank you all for your help....

Keeping one goggle in the water seems a popular mechanism/drill.

I am not sure about the over rotation - I was actually being encouraged by the coach to rotate more - but I might be rotating too much to breathe?

Where would I find details of the Popov Roll-Ove Drill?

And lastly - yes the one arm drill is probably a very good drill for me.... I hate it but as someone once said "the obstacle is the path"

Thanks again.

Nick

qbrain
March 2nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
I am not sure about the over rotation - I was actually being encouraged by the coach to rotate more - but I might be rotating too much to breathe?

I think you are probably over rotating when you breath and only on your breathing side.

I am not saying you are this bad, but go to a lap swim and watch people swim. You will see someone who almost looks at the ceiling when they breath, but the rest swims flat only using their arms.

Ask your coach why your arm is dropping when you breath. He can see your stroke and I am guessing.

shane
March 2nd, 2010, 08:52 PM
does your stroke have a pause as you breathe? if so then you could be losing momentum and sinking.

uknick
March 3rd, 2010, 12:47 AM
does your stroke have a pause as you breathe? if so then you could be losing momentum and sinking.

Possibly - this is a very good point - momentum is everything... I work very hard on the mechanics of my stroke as I am keen to get the most out that I can... I am currently swimming my fast 100m repeats on around 75-77 and want to take 5 seconds off this. I guess my focus on form is about the inches that will help me get to this goal.

The other thing that has changes recently is my hand entry. I was told my old habits of doing the s shaped pull was bad and so was told to enter my hand shoulder width apart and set the arm early - so I guess there is a lot going on at the moment - lot's of moving parts!!!

Maybe I just need to swim a lot more and work on drils.

On the momentum poit I use fins for stroke work so that I can keep the momentum while still working on the technical aspecs of the stroke...

OMG this is such a technical sport! :afraid: