PDA

View Full Version : Cal State Northridge Cuts Men's and Women's Swimming

JimRude
March 2nd, 2010, 12:23 PM
http://gomatadors.cstv.com/sports/m-swim/spec-rel/030110aab.html

knelson
March 2nd, 2010, 12:48 PM
I guess that leaves just USC with a men's swim team in LA. UCLA and LMU both have only women's teams.

scyfreestyler
March 2nd, 2010, 01:12 PM
That's too bad. One of the kids from our USAS team swam there this year as a freshman.

orca1946
March 2nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
That is not good news. Some of the higher programs should take a hit to reduce all & not eliminate some .

stillwater
March 2nd, 2010, 02:27 PM
It appears that womens water polo will not be cut.

I blame it on el nino and tech suits.

orca1946
March 2nd, 2010, 07:14 PM
But tech suits are out now ?! So have football go back to leather helmets & see how many go out for the team ?

Dolphin 2
March 3rd, 2010, 12:11 PM
Being a resident of California, the budget crisis here reads like the lyrics from a old "Country Music" song:

"There's a world of hurt out there". :badday:

D2

Rykno
March 3rd, 2010, 12:27 PM
in the fall my school announced that they were cutting the football team. so I mailed them the same day asking if that meant they would bring back the men's swim team that won it's conference it's final two years active.

no response....but in 96 when we were cut so were the men's fencing and tennis teams. 3 typically white team sports. it had a double effect it reduced the number of male athletes helping the schools male/female ratio. but it even help get the white/minority ratio in balance with the student body

knelson
March 3rd, 2010, 04:19 PM
it had a double effect it reduced the number of male athletes helping the schools male/female ratio. but it even help get the white/minority ratio in balance with the student body

This is a little interesting. Even with these "white" sports it seems to me most athletics departments would have a higher percentage of minorities than the student body at most universities.

stillwater
March 3rd, 2010, 06:18 PM
Interesting thought.

I wonder what the Asian representation in college sports is?

smontanaro
March 5th, 2010, 03:43 PM
This thread prompted me to search for other Southern California swim teams. I thought, "hmm... maybe Pepperdine?" Nope, however I came across this recent article from the Malibu Times: Mystery donor saves Pepperdine women's swim and dive team (http://www.malibutimes.com/articles/2010/02/17/news/news4.txt). It would seem that not only men's teams at state schools are at risk.

james lucas
March 5th, 2010, 07:42 PM
This thread prompted me to search for other Southern California swim teams. I thought, "hmm... maybe Pepperdine?" Nope, however I came across this recent article from the Malibu Times: Mystery donor saves Pepperdine women's swim and dive team (http://www.malibutimes.com/articles/2010/02/17/news/news4.txt). It would seem that not only men's teams at state schools are at risk.
The Division III schools continue to compete in both men's and women's swimming. Here's the men's championship score from the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference:

1. Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 1063.5
2. University of Redlands 846.5
3. Pomona-Pitzer 479
4. Occidental College 250
5. California Lutheran Univ 242
6. Univ of La Verne 212
7. Whittier College 203
8. California Inst of Tech 195