PDA

View Full Version : "Blinding" blogs to Google

ViveBene
March 3rd, 2010, 01:23 PM
I've noticed that some of the blog entries appear on the first page of Google under a keyword search. The blogs can get pretty personal. Is there a mechanism to blind blogs to Google search and to the Way Back machine?

Thanks.

matysekj
March 3rd, 2010, 03:39 PM
Since some members actually WANT their blogs to be highly ranked in Google searches, no, there really isn't a way for the system as a whole to do this without upsetting other people.

However, you can pretty much control it for your own blog by disallowing guests from viewing your blog. If you go to your blog control panel, you'll see a Permissions and Privacy section. If you un-check the option for Guests to view your blog, then the Google spider will not be able to view your blog. Instead, it will only be able to see some sort of "no access" error. The side-effect is that no one else will be able to see your blog unless they are logged in to the forums. You may or may not want that. Remember that just because someone has a forums account doesn't mean that they are always logged in when they come to the site. If not currently logged in, they will not be able to see blogs that aren't readable by guests.

The Fortress
March 3rd, 2010, 04:04 PM
I might do that with mine. I don't give a hoot about google views.

ViveBene
March 3rd, 2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks, Jim.

Had I a blog, I would want to be circumspect with content. Noting for all the world to view the meds one is taking, the particulars of one's domestic life, how much $ one owes and to whom and so forth, he done her wrong, she done him wrong -- it's for always and for everyone to know.
:)

The Fortress
March 4th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I agree, Vive. And thanks, Jim. No guests can view mine now. I don't mind swimmers seeing all my workouts, and I like to share, but I don't need google spider guests.

ViveBene
March 4th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I participate (pseudonymously) on a mutual fund bb. The host one day remarked that he typically receives 2,000 views from discrete IP addresses, none of them ours, per day. The bb is so good that it is influencing financial writers, and therefore the markets... LOL!

Glad I could help.

:)

Peter Cruise
March 4th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I have it on good information that thousands of Google Spider Bots have spontaneously destructed upon trying to mine Jim Thorntons blog; their last words (translated from hexadecimal)..."the horror, the horror..."

3strokes
March 5th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I have it on good information that thousands of Google Spider Bots have spontaneously destructed upon trying to mine Jim Thorntons blog; their last words (translated from hexadecimal)..."the horror, the horror..."

Wait until you hear what they whisper in binary.............

The Fortress
March 5th, 2010, 07:55 PM

That would seriously harm Jim's plan to go global and turn his blog snippets and responses into a masters swimmers' kiss and tell (and ruminate) novella.

ViveBene
March 5th, 2010, 08:35 PM
That would seriously harm Jim's plan to go global and turn his blog snippets and responses into a masters swimmers' kiss and tell (and ruminate) novella.

Somewhere in Minnesota a part-time admin. assist., enjoying her own private Stimulus Package through Jimi's monthly donations, having no one in the insurance pool to monitor but her benefactor, adds another :2cents: to the monthly premium with every blog mention of "ambienated state" or a prescription drug. This is a T.S. Eliot moment:

Apeneck Sweeney spreads his knees
Letting his arms hang down to laugh.
The zebra stripes along his jaw
Swelling to maculate giraffe.

"Mistah Kurtz - he dead."
"Am not!" - Kurtz.

Peter Cruise
March 5th, 2010, 10:35 PM
All mimsy were the borogoves
And the mome raths outgrabe.

ViveBene
March 7th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Interesting factoid:
8 pages of individual blogs.
All but 2.5 pages are now for members-only viewing.