PDA

View Full Version : Toe Nail Fungus - an indelicate subject!

swoomer
March 5th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I'm not sure if this is swimming-related, but I'm sure it is related to my swimming. I have had a bad case of toe nail fungus for over a year on my big toe. As I look around, I notice I'm not the only one to have it. Does anyone have a magic cure out there? I've tried over the counter medications and the dermatologist gave me Cipro. I read somewhere that wearing polish can exacerbate the problem, but going without is really embarrassingly ugly. Does anyone have a magic cure out there?

LindsayNB
March 5th, 2010, 08:51 PM
The Doctor's column in the local newspaper said that a lot of people, including the Doctor columnist himself, have succeeded in getting rid of fungal infections in toenails by applying Vic's vapor rub twice a day, even in cases where prescribed medication failed.

I've had a fungal problem on one big toe and have been trying this, the toenail looks better and the new growth seems to be normal, but it looks like it won't completely go away until the affected area grows out. YMMV.

A pharmacist friend told me that prescription meds are usually quite effective too.

smontanaro
March 5th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure why your doc gave you Cipro. Isn't that an antibiotic or an antiviral? A little googling suggests it's recommended as a secondary medicine when treating tinea pedis (athlete's foot) as the lesion area tends to be full of bacteria. I would think you'd want an antifungal as the primary treatment. Unfortunately, getting rid of tinea when it's in your nail bed ain't easy and most/all oral antifungals are tough on your liver, at least when taken for the duration necessary to treat the fungus in your nails. I did a little searching but didn't find a lot about side effects. Perhaps newer treatments are easier on your liver.

Skip

__steve__
March 5th, 2010, 10:18 PM
The Doctor's column in the local newspaper said that a lot of people, including the Doctor columnist himself, have succeeded in getting rid of fungal infections in toenails by applying Vic's vapor rub twice a day, even in cases where prescribed medication failed.
Thank you.

I'm trying this tonight.

Unfortunately the big toenail grows many times slower than other nails and it's going to take some time to see what works. I also heard that potassium permanganate KMnO4 can be used. But that's some strong stuff

nhc
March 5th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Fungus is extremely contagious. You can get it from sharing towels (wonder how "clean" the towels provided by the pool are). The fungus on one toe can easily spread to your other toes, too, so be careful. I heard tea tree oil is effective for curing it, but it takes almost a year because you need the fungus nail to be completely replaced by new growth. When I injured my toe I was worried about the possibility of getting fungus and used tea tree oil to prevent it, and I never got it (though perhaps I wouldn't get it anyway). There are many other recipes, too, such as vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, eucalyptus oil. It seems different people react differently to the recipes. Here (http://www.epinions.com/msg/show_%7Ethreads/cat_id_%7E10/id_%7E4934/forum_id_%7E201) you can read people sharing experiences about the "natural treatments".

Here is a relevant article Is it safe to swim in a swimming pool if you’ve got a toenail fungus infection?
(http://fungusfacts.com/swimming-pools-and-toenail-fungus-infection/)
Good luck in a cure :)

james lucas
March 5th, 2010, 11:16 PM
... a bad case of toe nail fungus for over a year on my big toe. As I look around, I notice I'm not the only one to have it. Does anyone have a magic cure out there?
My doctor prescribed Terbinafine, a generic for Lamisil. It worked fine, but it takes a while: the nail has to grow back - also, there are side effects, and my doctor was mindful of liver issues.

Later, I had success in a less severe case with an over-the-counter cream, Tineacide.

I'm with you: I have no idea if this is related to swimming.

jcornman
March 6th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I have had something going on with my left big toe for almost a year now, at first I thought maybe it was bruised and dying from a long run I did, but now I wonder if maybe it might be fungus instead. Maybe I will try the vapo-rub tip as well, that seems harmless enough to try.

Mary R.
March 7th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I had a fungus on my big toe nail for three years or so. I stopped wearing nail polish for a winter plus a bit, and that year I was also not swimming. It has gone away...who knows which was the reason. But this was without taking any medication.

I have heard (but am not a medical doctor, so who knows?) that there is a new laser treatment that eliminates the fungus entirely...anyone have experience with that?