PDA

View Full Version : Today, I had a pretty fun combo: 500, 1k free. Times inside.

Couroboros
March 6th, 2010, 02:11 AM
So, remember when I ranted about not being able to swim these events last weekend because of the other two teams opting out due to the weather (just a little drizzle, jeez, what a bunch of wimps)? Well, this weekend I finally got to swim these events!

Last year the last time I did the 500 free was in April and I got a time of 7:29 something. Today I got a 6:35.01. All of it flipturns, streamlined past the flags every time.

But before I did that, I did the 1000 free. I got a 12:58.19. This is the first time I've ever done the 1000. As soon as I dove in the water, my left goggle started leaking and by the halfway mark, it was useless and just pressed down into my socket every time I flipped. Plus I had air in my cap. Meh. All flipturns, streamlined past every flag. Forgot to cooldown afterwards, was too busy cheering on my teammates anyway.

I have made my new goal times. What's the wisdom on these events? Tips? For a guy who started a year ago at age 20, are these times good? There aren't very many other dudes that started at 20, so it's difficult to compare!

debaru
March 6th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Your times sound pretty darn good to me. :applaud: I wish I could swim as fast as you.

I took a look at the USMS Pool Records, and in your age group (18-24) here are the times:

SCY 1000 free - 9:29:54
SCY 500 free - 4:29:67

Considering that you are just starting out at age 20, I think you are doing incredibly well. You're only going to get better as you keep at it, so I am sure you will get closer to the record times as time goes by.

rtodd
March 6th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Your times are good. I started at 40 and at 45 I'm a bit faster, so I can only imagine how fast you can/will become. You should feel fortunate you found swimming early in life.

orca1946
March 6th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Very nice ! It sounds as if you are hooked into our sport . Welcome !

jim thornton
March 6th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Last year the last time I did the 500 free was in April and I got a time of 7:29 something. Today I got a 6:35.01. All of it flipturns, streamlined past the flags every time.

But before I did that, I did the 1000 free. I got a 12:58.19. This is the first time I've ever done the 1000. !

Your 1000 time, if you had split it perfectly evenly, would have given you two 500s in a row of 6:29.95.

So, your best 500 is actually faster than you thought!

I would go back and look at your splits. Odds are fairly good that you went out for the first 500 even faster than a 6:29.95.

In some ways, this maybe answers your question about doing a double of these events on the same day in close succession in a meet. I would just pick one of them to do. Your 500 by itself would have been much faster without the 1000 coming so soon before it. And it's possible that you may have pushed the 1000 even more if you had not known you had to swim a 500 not soon afterwards.

Regardless, major congrats, Mr. C!

Couroboros
March 6th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Excellent suggestion, Jim, but, unfortunately, I don't pick my events. My coaches do. So what they say I swim, I swim. *shrugs*

Thanks for the encouragement, everybody! You guys are awesome.

I am going to take a hike now. Literally, I mean. My kicking can still be so much better, so any cross-training that involves moving my legs (hiking, running, jumping, spinning) should help, right? I mean, at least, that is what cross-training is, right?

shane
March 6th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Excellent suggestion, Jim, but, unfortunately, I don't pick my events. My coaches do. So what they say I swim, I swim. *shrugs*

Thanks for the encouragement, everybody! You guys are awesome.

I am going to take a hike now. Literally, I mean. My kicking can still be so much better, so any cross-training that involves moving my legs (hiking, running, jumping, spinning) should help, right? I mean, at least, that is what cross-training is, right?

i have not found that cross training helped my kick much if at all. i do other sports but only for the fun of it. there is one sure way to kick better, kick more often and with more intensity. i'm not an awesome kicker either but i have improved quite a bit in the last year just by doing more kick sets and also more recently following Ande's program kicking all out for time. one thing i have noticed is that most of the improvement so far has come not so much from increased leg strength but finding the most efficient kicking motion. it can be counter-intuitive because the most powerful feeling kick is not always the fastest due to drag.

anyway, congratulations on your improvements so far. you are sure to get even faster if you keep up the work.

Couroboros
March 9th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Aaargh, so I was talking to my coach today about my 500 free and he said my time was 6:17!

First I was like, hells to the yes.

Then I was like, but wait, I found out from somebody that my time was 6:35.01. Now I'm wracking my brain trying to remember who I found out my time from...

and my coach is insisting my time was 6:17.

ViveBene
March 9th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Congratulations on times (I'll never be close!), and torture in the hills should indeed make you faster, for a bit. Mntn climbing (with a pack - go ahead!) takes several seconds off anything I do, but the effect fades in 7-10 days.
Leslie's blog has terrific ideas for drylands for core that should help more consistently, plus you don't have to find the mntns.