PDA

View Full Version : 24hr. countdown before 1st Masters meet-???

ElaineK
March 6th, 2010, 09:54 AM
My first Masters meet is coming up on March 27&28 and I don't have a clue about:
1. Should I swim the day before or just rest?
2. What (and when) should I eat before my first race?
3. What (and when) should I swim to warm-up before my first race (200 breaststroke)?
4. What about cooldown then warming up again before my next race (medley relay)?
5. Any other recommendations, besides stretching and HAVING FUN? :D

THANKS!

Hoosier
March 6th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I think the answers would differ based on your expectations, goals. For example I dont worry about winning (would not anyway) so sometimes the question I have is "is it ok to eat WHILE swimming the 1650?. :)

ElaineK
March 6th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Now, wouldn't that be a sight to see at Nationals? I dare you to try it! :D

Seriously, my first goal is- and always should be- to have fun. But, I DO want to do my best, for my own satisfaction...

spell_me
March 6th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I don't know how trustworthy my advice is, since I have yet to swim my first Master's meet (plan to correct that issue soon!). I'm going on what I remember from the meets I swam as a kid.

For #1 I think it would be a good idea to swim the day before, but make it light and easy. Get nicely warmed up, do a couple of sprints, and that's that.

As for eating, the day before it's a good idea to get plenty of carbs. The day OF the meet I would stick to small portions of easy-to-digest food.

I'm pretty sure Andy's Swim Faster Faster thread has a race prep section.

jbs
March 6th, 2010, 11:40 AM
My first Masters meet is coming up on March 27&28 and I don't have a clue about:
3. What (and when) should I swim to warm-up before my first race (200 breaststroke)?
4. What about cooldown then warming up again before my next race (medley relay)?

THANKS!

It seems to me that a lot of the answers to these questions are going to be pretty individual. For instance, some people seem to like a heavy breakfast before a meet, but that really would not work for me. I also know from experience that I need to swim the day before a race, but I usually just warm up, do a pace set or two with a fair amount of rest, and then cool down. I know other people who always rest the day before and they seem to do fine.

The only other thing I'd suggest on the eating front is do not do anything for the first time on the day of the meet. If it is a morning meet and you usually eat cereal for breakfast, the morning of the meet is not a good time to try to find out for the first time how you do with eggs and bacon for breakfast.

rtodd
March 6th, 2010, 01:48 PM
5. Any other recommendations, besides stretching and HAVING FUN?

1. Don't swim.
2. Eat the same way you do every other day.
3. Warm up the sme way you do before your main set. Do a few practice dives and breakouts. Be done 20-30 minutes before your event.
4. Cooldown after each event. Warm up again 20 min before your next event.
5. Don't do any stretching you don't normally do.

ElaineK
March 6th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks for answering all of my questions. I appreciate the advice! :applaud:

orca1946
March 6th, 2010, 02:35 PM
rest - eat light the day of - warm up at the early time & b4 each event - bring a drink you like - bring a chair - -have fun.

swimshark
March 6th, 2010, 03:11 PM

THANKS!

I usually swim the day before. Since this is your first meet, I would take it easy and stretch out a bit. Concentrate on your turns and relax in the water that day.

For a morning meet, I eat a banana and something with protein in it - like peanut butter crackers. I like to have bananas during the meet as well. Bagels are good, too.

Warm up during the pre-meet warm up so you can get used to the pool. Concentrate on the walls for turns and do some starts as well. They will start about half way through warm-ups. Remember, enter warm ups feet first until the sprint lane opens up for dives. Then, get in about 10 min before your event and just do a 50 or 100 of free just to warm up a tad.

After the race, a cool down is a good idea. Just to get any lactic acid out of your body. The distance depends on how you feel. Swim until you aren't breathing heavy.

And most importantly - have fun!! Let us know how it goes, too.

ElaineK
March 6th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Hey there! Thanks for the great advice! :applaud:
I'll look for you in your events at Nationals!

hnatkin
March 6th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I like to swim the day before the meet - light - like others have said. Warm up, pace set, cool down.
I recommend warming down after all races. When I don't I get legcramps that night and don't sleep well.
Make sure you do some starts - the blocks at Dynamo are shaky and small, so if you can try out the block in the lane(s) you are racing in, even better to prepare for what's coming.
Carbs the day before are good - it's the only time I ever convince my husband to go out for Italian!
Day of meet food depends on you - some people eat very little, others need a filling breakfast. You can also think about it in terms of how long a day it will be. Check out the psych sheet a few days before the meet - if it's going to be an all day event, make sure you pack more snacks. I like bananas, graham crackers, and possibly half a bagel if I have a long time between races. They do have a concession stand at the Dynamo pool as well.
They have plenty of bleacher seats at Dynamo so you will have space to sit down, but bringing a folding chair can be extra nice.

Good luck!

ElaineK
March 6th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks for your advice, too!

Regarding bringing deck chairs to Dynamo, I read that the fire marshall isn't allowing deck chairs, so I guess we're stuck with the bleachers. Oh well...

nkfrench
March 6th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Usually first meet is just to learn the process, have fun, and don't worry about performance. You'll just set some baseline times that you can try to improve during successive meets.

I suggest a meet warmup and a few easy drills the day before.

Your warmup depends on your fitness and your events. Don't overdo it.

Ideally you would have figured out what makes your stomach happy a little more in advance of your first meet.

I suggest swimming very easy between events and after your last swim. Just enough to get your heartrate down and loosen up painful or tight muscles. The warmdown afterwards can make a big difference in how you feel the next day.

Take a spare cap/goggles. They like to break or get lost at meets.

gigi
March 6th, 2010, 04:29 PM
[QUOTE=ElaineK;208348]My first Masters meet is coming up on March 27&28 and I don't have a clue about:

1. I like to take the day off, but if I have the heebie-jeebies I go to the pool and do some easy yards

2. I like to start the day with peanut butter and banana on an english muffin. Not too heavy, not too light. Then I bring a couple of PB&J sandwiches which I nibble on after every event. And some oranges. I also bring a thermos and have a cup of coffee about 20 minutes before my events.

3. I like to do about 500 yards of mixed strokes and drills finished with some 25's build during the big warm-up then do a little touch'up about 15 minutes before each event.

4. I always hop into the warm=up lanes for an easy 100 after each event

5. I bring my own water since water in bubblers often just tastes weird to me. Keep one towel totally dry and unused all day so that when you go to take your end-of-the-day shower you'll have a nice fluffy dry towel!

ElaineK
March 6th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks Nancy and Gigi! Great advice from both of you and everybody else on this thread! I sure do appreciate it all and have taken notes.:D

It's looking like bananas and peanut butter are the food of choice for swimmers; both great choices. I always ate bananas before my high school swim team workouts, because they are so high in potassium. I have started that habit, again, so I will take some to the meet with me.

swimshark
March 6th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Eliane, I can't wait to hear how this meet goes and meet you at Nats. Good luck.

One thing that I've learned to do through my team after a practice and a meet is to eat or drink protein. I get a liquid called Pure Protein at Target. It's yummy and has a good mix of carbs and protein that were recommended. I highly recommend it for you after this meet to combat next day soreness.

ElaineK
March 6th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Sounds great! I read recently that eatings carbs (like bananas) are great for pre-workout and eating or drinking something high in protein is best after a workout. So, this drink sounds like a great idea. I'll pick some up, next time I'm at Super Target. Do I find it in the grocery section or with the vitamins?

Thanks for taking an interest, by the way. I appreciate it and look forward to meeting you, too!

__steve__
March 7th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Bananas, Nutrela, bagels, protein powder prior to meet. Then 20 minutes right before the first event I get bad anxiety attacks so I lay down and do deep breathing until the heart feels normal. All subsequent events the problem is gone and I'm relaxed

jessicafk11
March 7th, 2010, 07:51 AM
First of all, I hope that your meet goes well and that you have a great time!

I recently swam in my first Masters meet and my only goals were to have fun and to get times for the events I will likely swim the most so I have a starting point.

It sounds like everyone is giving you good advice. I agree that if you swim the day before it should be light. Enjoy the water.

I probably did not eat all that well for my first meet, I was not sure what to do other than to eat enough so that I wouldn't be hungry but nothing heavy enough that it would slow me down. I had a post meet Starbucks latte to give me energy to drive home and a protein bar. I did feel energetic during the meet and I made the drive home, but I was dying the next day. I'm not sure if a different eating strategy would have helped or not. Like a lot of things, it will probably differ based on the individual.

Again, I hope you have a great meet, let us know how you do!

swimshark
March 7th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Sounds great! I read recently that eatings carbs (like bananas) are great for pre-workout and eating or drinking something high in protein is best after a workout. So, this drink sounds like a great idea. I'll pick some up, next time I'm at Super Target. Do I find it in the grocery section or with the vitamins?

Thanks for taking an interest, by the way. I appreciate it and look forward to meeting you, too!

I get the protein stuff with the energy bars in mine. I think that's near the vitamins. My store is a Super Target as well.

ElaineK
March 7th, 2010, 09:18 AM
First of all, I hope that your meet goes well and that you have a great time!

I recently swam in my first Masters meet and my only goals were to have fun and to get times for the events I will likely swim the most so I have a starting point.

Again, I hope you have a great meet, let us know how you do!

First of all, I LOVE the photo on your post! As you can see by mine, I love dolphins!

My goals are the same, so I'm with you on that point. Most importantly, it's about having FUN. But, I would like to do my best and have a good starting point for future meets. So, I want to at least try to do the right things that will help me do my best!

Thanks for your good wishes! I'll post after the meet and let you know how it goes...

ElaineK
March 28th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I usually swim the day before. Since this is your first meet, I would take it easy and stretch out a bit. Concentrate on your turns and relax in the water that day.

For a morning meet, I eat a banana and something with protein in it - like peanut butter crackers. I like to have bananas during the meet as well. Bagels are good, too.

Warm up during the pre-meet warm up so you can get used to the pool. Concentrate on the walls for turns and do some starts as well. They will start about half way through warm-ups. Remember, enter warm ups feet first until the sprint lane opens up for dives. Then, get in about 10 min before your event and just do a 50 or 100 of free just to warm up a tad.

After the race, a cool down is a good idea. Just to get any lactic acid out of your body. The distance depends on how you feel. Swim until you aren't breathing heavy.

And most importantly - have fun!! Let us know how it goes, too.

Hey Alison!

I survived!:bliss:I had a blast at the St. Pat's meet (my first Masters meet). I was a bit nervous, yesterday, :afraid:but I was pleased with my 200 breaststroke. I took six seconds off my best in-water time and I won my heat of the other NT's (newbies!). I did 3:29.42, so I'm still a "BB" on the Motivational Times chart for the 45-49 age group. My goal is to hit the "A" category. Oh well; I just joined and started swimming fast intervals in mid-February, so my stamina isn't there yet. My 50 breast, also "BB" was horrible (screwed up the start AND turn); 42.69. Never mind... My 100 breaststroke was 1:33.79 and I won the NT heat. Again, it was a "BB". So, I have work to do! I finished out with the 200 Mixed Relay (our team just made the entry with two gals and two guys) with a 41.54 split. We had a lot of fun with that one cheering each other on and high-fiving afterwards. We started out in sixth place, I gained on and beat the gal next to me, then the guys brought us up to third place at the end. It was a lot of laughs and a great way to end the meet.

So, all in all, it was a GREAT experience! :D

Any meets for you before Nationals? I'm going to sign up for one in Gwinnett, on April 25. It's a SCY developmental meet. One more chance to get in some meet action before Nationals.

Let me know how you're doing!

aquaFeisty
March 28th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Congrats on your meet, Elaine! I bet you will see some big improvements at Nationals since you've only been swimming for such a short time! :)

ElaineK
March 28th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Congrats on your meet, Elaine! I bet you will see some big improvements at Nationals since you've only been swimming for such a short time! :)

Thanks, Carrie! Hey, I like "AquaFiesty"! My husband calls me "Aqua Dog" and pumps me up on my swim days by singing out the first notes of Jethro Tull's, "Aqua Lung" (Gross lyrics in that song, but the music is awesome!)

ANYWAY, nice of you to post your "contrats"! Thanks!! :D

bergsteiger
March 28th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Sorry I didn't introduce myself there Elaine, but glad you had a good time at the meet. Sounds like you were very pleased all around. Hope to see you at Nationals!

swimshark
March 29th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Elaine, congrats on the meet!! Sounds like you had a great time, which is the best part about master meets. And you had some great times to start off with. I see some huge improvements coming your way, too.

I have 2 meets before Nationals - April 10th in my home pool and Zones at the end of April. First I have to get back in shape after a week at Disney!

ElaineK
March 29th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Sorry I didn't introduce myself there Elaine, but glad you had a good time at the meet. Sounds like you were very pleased all around. Hope to see you at Nationals!

What events will you be swimming at Nationals? I'll look for you! :)
I will be in the 200, 100, 50 breaststroke (W45-49) and medley relays. I'll look forward to meeting you!:D

ElaineK
March 29th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Elaine, congrats on the meet!! Sounds like you had a great time, which is the best part about master meets. And you had some great times to start off with. I see some huge improvements coming your way, too.

I have 2 meets before Nationals - April 10th in my home pool and Zones at the end of April. First I have to get back in shape after a week at Disney!

Hey Alison, thanks!:D How was Disney? Did you go to Disneyland or Disney World? I grew up in Long Beach, CA, not far from Disneyland. Sounds like fun!

Good luck at your two meets! Make sure to post and let me know how you did. Best wishes!

moodyrichardson
March 30th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Elaine glad that you had so much fun and did well at your first meet. I did my first one back in Dec., but it was a just for fun meet. I'm doing my first "Real" met in 2 weeks in Lexington, KY. I'll be more than likely swimming some NT at Nationals too!

Hope to meet lots of you there!!

ElaineK
March 30th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Elaine glad that you had so much fun and did well at your first meet. I did my first one back in Dec., but it was a just for fun meet. I'm doing my first "Real" met in 2 weeks in Lexington, KY. I'll be more than likely swimming some NT at Nationals too!

Hope to meet lots of you there!!
Thanks Cheryl! Hey, good luck in your next meet! What events/ age group will you be swimming at Nationals? I'll make sure to look for you. I'll be in the 45-49 for all breaststroke events. But, don't look for me in the middle lanes; I'll be on the end and at the bottom of the heap.:blush: (My seed times don't compare, I afraid! :afraid:) Oh well, I can't pass up the opportunity, since Nationals are only 45 minutes from my house! See you there!:D

moodyrichardson
March 30th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Hi Elaine! I'll be in the 35-39 age group! I'll more than likely be swimming 100 back, 50 back, and I just may try the 50 fly. I'm debating that one. I'm like you. I couldn't resist. I'm only a 3 hour drive away, so I just have to go! I'll definitely look for you there.

I will by no means be in the middle lanes either!!!

swimshark
March 31st, 2010, 03:12 PM
Hey Alison, thanks!:D How was Disney? Did you go to Disneyland or Disney World? I grew up in Long Beach, CA, not far from Disneyland. Sounds like fun!

Good luck at your two meets! Make sure to post and let me know how you did. Best wishes!

Elaine, we went to the World. Much closer to where we live now :) With the darn pool rules, I could swim at all. I could just stare at it while I walked on the treadmill (it didn't open until 8am :() Thanks for the luck wishes. I'll need it since I'll be out of the water with spring break.

ande
March 31st, 2010, 03:32 PM
Sorry I missed this

doesn't matter, I prefer to dive in splash around and "keep the feel"

doesn't really matter
just don't pig out before your races

eddie reese always had us do
500 fr
400 IM drill
300 pull
200 kick
100 done 4 x 25 build
then a few:
fast 25's for sprinters
pace 50's for 200 swimmers &
pace 100'sfor 500 & up
Get warm but not worn out
if you've been sitting around for more than an hour, get back in and swim an easy 200 to 400 15 to 20 minutes before your race.

cool down: swim an easy 200 to 400
depends how long you sit around before the medley

Swim faster faster

ElaineK
March 31st, 2010, 04:09 PM
Hi Elaine! I'll be in the 35-39 age group! I'll more than likely be swimming 100 back, 50 back, and I just may try the 50 fly. I'm debating that one. I'm like you. I couldn't resist. I'm only a 3 hour drive away, so I just have to go! I'll definitely look for you there.

I will by no means be in the middle lanes either!!!

Awesome! I'll be looking for you and cheering you on! :cheerleader:

ElaineK
March 31st, 2010, 04:12 PM
Elaine, we went to the World. Much closer to where we live now :) With the darn pool rules, I could swim at all. I could just stare at it while I walked on the treadmill (it didn't open until 8am :() Thanks for the luck wishes. I'll need it since I'll be out of the water with spring break.

Bummer! There's nothing worse than having a pool right there, but not being able to get IN it! That's how I felt during the couple of times our pool was closed for repairs.:bitching:

Maybe the rest will do you good and you will have a great meet. Gooooo Alison! :cheerleader:

ElaineK
March 31st, 2010, 04:26 PM
Sorry I missed this

doesn't matter, I prefer to dive in splash around and "keep the feel"

doesn't really matter
just don't pig out before your races

eddie reese always had us do
500 fr
400 IM drill
300 pull
200 kick
100 done 4 x 25 build
then a few:
fast 25's for sprinters
pace 50's for 200 swimmers &
pace 100'sfor 500 & up
Get warm but not worn out
if you've been sitting around for more than an hour, get back in and swim an easy 200 to 400 15 to 20 minutes before your race.

cool down: swim an easy 200 to 400
depends how long you sit around before the medley

Swim faster faster

Hey Ande!
I don't know if you received the message I sent you, but, earlier in the month, I wrote to tell you how much I enjoy reading all your posts. And, I suggested you write a book! :agree: Between your tremendous knowledge, experience, AND your writing skills, I think you could do it well! Having said that, I didn't want to wait until you wrote a book, so I bought, "Mastering Swimming: Your guide for fitness, training, and competition", by Jim Montgomery and Mo Chambers. EXCELLENT! I just started reading it, but I can already say it is one I would highly recommend for Masters swimmers.

Anyway, I think I also mentioned in my message to you that I have read your tips and really appreciate all of your fantastic advice. You are very generous with your time and knowledge, so it is much appreciated by a novice like me. So, I have subscribed to your threads.

Thanks for taking out the time to respond to this tread, as well as my others. I will put your advice to use at my next meet! :D

That Guy
March 31st, 2010, 05:12 PM

I've gotten in some 6 am swims at Disney World.

Most of their resorts have multiple pools. Do not swim in the "main" pool, swim in the most remote, hidden one, even though it is likely to be smaller and warmer.
Do not make any noise - noise is the reason why the pools have posted hours.
By following those two simple rules, I have never been kicked out of a pool there. :) However, I haven't tried swimming off-hours in the All-Star resort as none of the pools there are remote or hidden.

swimshark
March 31st, 2010, 08:35 PM
I've gotten in some 6 am swims at Disney World.

Most of their resorts have multiple pools. Do not swim in the "main" pool, swim in the most remote, hidden one, even though it is likely to be smaller and warmer.
Do not make any noise - noise is the reason why the pools have posted hours.
By following those two simple rules, I have never been kicked out of a pool there. :) However, I haven't tried swimming off-hours in the All-Star resort as none of the pools there are remote or hidden.

Sadly, we picked the building based on it being near the pool that had the lines on the bottom for easier swimming. But... it had signs up that it was closed from 9pm until 8am. By 8am I was getting myself and my son ready to get to the park of the day. The open pool was all the way across the resort. Darn! The good thing was that we were in the building next to the fitness center so I worked out in there each day. I even got to work out with my dad which, since he lives 700 miles away, is a rare treat.

swimshark
March 31st, 2010, 08:36 PM
Bummer! There's nothing worse than having a pool right there, but not being able to get IN it! That's how I felt during the couple of times our pool was closed for repairs.:bitching:

Maybe the rest will do you good and you will have a great meet. Gooooo Alison! :cheerleader:

Thanks, Elaine. My coach says he might come to watch me swim at this next meet. :afraid: He's never seen me in a meet since he's an age group coach. I hope I don't freak out.

ElaineK
April 1st, 2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks, Elaine. My coach says he might come to watch me swim at this next meet. :afraid: He's never seen me in a meet since he's an age group coach. I hope I don't freak out.

Seeing your coach just might give you that extra motivation (and butterflys) to do your PB! Good luck! :cheerleader:

swimshark
April 1st, 2010, 09:16 PM
Seeing your coach just might give you that extra motivation (and butterflys) to do your PB! Good luck! :cheerleader:

Thanks. I hope so! He is such a good swimmer that he makes me a bit nervous (I've only been swimming with him since June)