PDA

View Full Version : Amazing recent swims

Rich Abrahams
March 6th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Several forum posters wondered whether USMS's decision to allow the tech suits to be legal for SCY through May might tempt some world class swimmers to swim in a masters meet. Well, I was just looking over the results from a recent masters meet at Auburn Where Freddy Bousquet cranked an 18.67 in the 25+ 50 free. That may last a while. Mark Gangloff, swimming in the 30+ age group went a 52.47 100 breast and a 48.27 100 IM. Man, I'd have loved to see those swims. I can't wait to see if any stars show up in Atlanta.

That Guy
March 6th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I've seen similar things occurring in the upper left corner of the country.

http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/indresults.php?SwimmerID=061BU

knelson
March 6th, 2010, 01:38 PM
This is a great trend. I love to see top notch swimmers compete in masters! I hope it continues after June.

Glider
March 6th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I have a video of me swimming next to Gangloff in the 100 BR at this meet. Not sure you'll see him in it, though, as I went 12 seconds slower.:D I haven't checked it yet. If he's in it, I may put it up on YouTube.

Several forum posters wondered whether USMS's decision to allow the tech suits to be legal for SCY through May might tempt some world class swimmers to swim in a masters meet. Well, I was just looking over the results from a recent masters meet at Auburn Where Freddy Bousquet cranked an 18.67 in the 25+ 50 free. That may last a while. Mark Gangloff, swimming in the 30+ age group went a 52.47 100 breast and a 48.27 100 IM. Man, I'd have loved to see those swims. I can't wait to see if any stars show up in Atlanta.

orca1946
March 6th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Too bad they only want records ! Maybe they can swim all year long like those of us who have been doing it for 20 years +

knelson
March 6th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Too bad they only want records ! Maybe they can swim all year long like those of us who have been doing it for 20 years +

I'm pretty sure they are swimming all year long.

And who are we to judge their motivation for entering masters meets? Everyone swims for their own reasons.

Lump
March 6th, 2010, 04:11 PM

Yeah, I was at that meet and swam my 50 free a few heats before Freddy. I was sitting next to him before my swim as we prepared. The guys isn't that big but you can tell he is a sprint machine. Gangloff was super impressive as well...as my buddy Glider will attest! :D

rtodd
March 6th, 2010, 04:24 PM

That's not fair. Just for that I am going to go to a USA meet in a brief and swim a 1:40 100 free.

Lump
March 6th, 2010, 06:29 PM

I SERIOUSLY doubt these Olympians give 2 sh!ts about a USMS records, honestly. They DO swim year round....they are professional swimmers. My guess is that they swam "for fun" and as part of their training so see what they can do, where they are at, etc....but mostly just for fun. Like I said, I don't think they will be putting "USMS record holder" on their resume.

hrietz
March 6th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I saw all three of the swims as well. Bousquet took 7 strokes on the first length of the 50. I think that the suits and not the chance to break a record are playing a huge role in these "pros" doing USMS meets. The average age of "elite" swimmers is getting older and very few of them have competed in USMS meets especially non National meets prior to this season. Some of the Race Club guys have come to Nationals and Dara Torres competed in USMS meets when she was in the early stages of her comeback but that's all that I can remember. Now we have Vollmer, Jendrick, Bousquet, Gangloff, etc. all within a short time frame.

Swimosaur
March 6th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Bousquet ... 18.67 in the 25+ 50 free ... Gangloff ... 52.47 100 breast and a 48.27 100 IM. Man, I'd have loved to see those swims.

I was there & saw all three! It was impressive. In the 100 IM Gangloff made the guys going 52 look slow. Bousquet ... this guy is NOT doing the same thing only faster -- when he's in the water, it's another sport.

Auburn was a great meet. The meet director, Connor Bailey, did a stellar job. There was a snowstorm in Alabama on Friday -- and, really, who plans for a snowstorm in Alabama? -- and Connor was on the phone and on email all day and half the night keeping everyone in the loop and up to date. All the people working with him did a great job too. The heat sheet specified when each event would start, and when each heat would start, and they were on schedule to within 10 minutes the whole time. Gangloff and Bousquet put on an incredible show for the crowd.

But hey, I'm a masters swimmer, and I have to say, I was also impressed and inspired by the 88 year old guy who swam the 200 back. I watched that guy go about one minute per length -- will he break 8 minutes?? Will he?? The suspense is killing me ... Yes!! 7:56.34! He negative split it, too. A damn fine swim.

This was my first time at the Auburn meet, but I'm told it's been an annual event for the last 13 years or so. Clearly they've worked out all the kinks. It's a great meet.

waves101
March 7th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Awesome. This is why I love masters swimming!!! Great people swimming great. Let's keep Hotlanta smokin' in May. See you there.

swoomer
March 7th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Maybe the pros are like the rest of us. They just want to get as many swims as they can out of their suits before they put them away. I think their appearance at USMS meets is a positive for our organization. Not to mention that their swims were amazing!

no200fly
March 7th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I saw a guy who was a few weeks shy of 65 go a 51.7 100 free in Dallas a week or so ago - that guy is really amazing.

That Guy
March 8th, 2010, 12:32 AM
that guy is really amazing.

I'd like to thank the Academy.

no200fly
March 8th, 2010, 11:55 AM

Actually, I was talking about that other guy.

Karen Duggan
March 8th, 2010, 01:39 PM
They can't wear these suits anywhere else!
If they want to race in them, USMS is the only game in town.

(I too seriously doubt the records are a goal of theirs.)

Chris Stevenson
March 8th, 2010, 02:15 PM

:rofl:

chowmi
March 8th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I saw a guy who was a few weeks shy of 65 go a 51.7 100 free in Dallas a week or so ago - that guy is really amazing.

It is none other than Rich Abrahams, our thread starter!!!

no200fly
March 9th, 2010, 09:09 AM
It is none other than Rich Abrahams, our thread starter!!!

It was Rich Abrahms. Being closer in age to him than Bousquet, I find his performance as incredible as an 18.67 50 free. There are a number of masters swimmers, who compete regularly, who are nothing short of amazing.

Lump
March 9th, 2010, 09:39 AM
That 51.7 is faster than me and I'm a compartive "spring chicken" at 38. VERY impressive!!:bow::bow::bow: