PDA

View Full Version : Insanely itchy skin

pwolf66
March 10th, 2010, 10:16 AM
OMG, my shins have been driving me crazy with how itchy they have been. It's gotten so bad that I scratch so much that I make myself bleed. I've tried a couple of skin lotions but those don't seem to do much.

Anyone have this issue and if so how did you deal with it? I'm tired of making myself bleed.

__steve__
March 10th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Use the water based skin moisturizers (cetiphil?). I once over applied some before I swam and II was slimey like a fish throughout the swim.

jbs
March 10th, 2010, 10:35 AM
OMG, my shins have been driving me crazy with how itchy they have been. It's gotten so bad that I scratch so much that I make myself bleed. I've tried a couple of skin lotions but those don't seem to do much.

Anyone have this issue and if so how did you deal with it? I'm tired of making myself bleed.

I've had this problem. In my case, it seems to be related to dry skin. In past years, my shins would itch (and I'd scratch until they bled), and my hands would get so dry the skin would crack.

I've done two things. First, I stopped using the soap that's in the showers at my Y because it dried out my skin like crazy. I bring my own soap, which has been Dr. Bronner's. It seems to take the chlorine out without overly drying my skin. I view this part as prevention.

Second, I have found that Aquaphor works really well for me. When my shins itch, I put it on and leave it on for a while. I'll do it a couple of times a day. Mind you, this is not an immediate fix. It does not relieve the itching immediately. However, in my case after a day or so the skin is no longer as dry and no longer itches. Of course, YMMV.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Lump
March 10th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I use this stuff. Works well and smells great and you don't have to use a ton of it (a little goes a long way)

http://www.kastawayswimwear.com/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=TRI LOTION

LauraAswim
March 10th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I like the Aquaphor option as well, but check out Bag Balm.

I know it sounds incredibly gross, but I swear by it for shins, feet, and hands. I use it after I swim and before I go to bed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bag_Balm . You can find it at Target, Walgreens, RiteAid, etc. It's a funky smelling thing, but it does seriously work for that insane itch/cracking/pain.

elise526
March 10th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Cortisone cream works well to get rid of it. As a preventative, I keep my legs well-moisturized and will sometimes put powder on them before I go to bed at night. The powder seems to kill the itch feeling and keeps me from scratching in my sleep.

Lump
March 10th, 2010, 11:10 AM
My wife and kids really like this stuff too:

http://www.uddercream.com/

Ramjet08
March 10th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I use a moisturizing lotion after each swim but sometimes still experience serious itching on my shins. I will then use a cortisone cream. When that doesn't work, I've gotton a prescription from my Doc for fluocinonide, which is a more powerful steroid cream. It works great for those seriously itchy days.:)

pwolf66
March 10th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Thank you, thank you!!!

I will give these suggestions a shot.

Thank you again.

orca1946
March 10th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Good lotion right after swimming & morning after helps a lot .

ElaineK
March 10th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Cetaphil lotion works the best for me. And, in the winter, I will use Cetaphil cream on the worst areas (hands and feet). Both worked when nothing else that I tried did. I tried St. Ives, Lubriderm, and Eucerin, but neither of them worked as well as Cetaphil. I buy it at Costco in a two pack (lotion), because the price is the best; especially when they have $4 off coupons. But, it's available almost anywhere. Good luck! :)

pwolf66
March 10th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Cetaphil hasn't been working sadly.

ElaineK
March 10th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Have you been to a dermatologist to see if it's a skin condition in need of a prescription ointment? It sounds like something lotion will not resolve. My dermatologist was the one who recommended Cetaphil for my dry, itchy skin, and it worked. But it sounds like you have a skin allergy or skin condition in need of medical help!

BigNoodler
March 10th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I like Eucerin lotion.

When my skin was really red and itchy with red bumps (and I could not keep from scratching) I went to my dermatologist to get an RX that worked. Sorry I don't remember the name of that medication. BTW, I had this problem when I was really stressed out at one point.

Namor
March 11th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Probably a trip to the doctor would be worthwhile. As a suggested above something like hydrocortisone is available over the counter and might help.

ljodpundari
March 11th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I had a similar problem. I've used udder cream (Udderly Smooth), a prescription anti-psoriasis ointment, anti-fungal cream, etc. with no great success. Finally went to see a dermatologist, who gave me a cortisone cream to stop the immediate itching and recommended Cerave, an over-the-counter cream (about $15 for 8-ounce jar). That cleared it up within a week, and the problem hasn't come back.:banana:

QueenMum
March 13th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I believe I'm allergic to the bromine chemicals used in my community pool. Chlorine pools don't bother me - but within 12 hrs of getting in this pool I want to rip my skin off.

I've been to the doctors: PCP, allergists and a dermatologist. I have enough lotions and creams to fill a pool (both OTC and prescription)

But if yours is just dry skin, don't use soap (only where you have nooks and crevices) I was told to put lotions on within 3 minutes of patting myself dry (never rub!)

Good luck