PDA

View Full Version : Getting in!

notsofast
March 12th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Very funny article at goswim web site on different methods of getting in the water. (http://www.goswim.tv/entries/5887/getting-in.html) I'm an Eddie Haskell myself.

pwolf66
March 12th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Leap of Faith with a bit of Those Darn Kids mixed in

Michael Blatt
March 12th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I have to disagree with the concept. Getting out (especially on 40 degree days with a 20 mph wind blowing) is the hardest part of the workout.

Chicken of the Sea
March 12th, 2010, 12:30 PM
:blush: I'm an Eddie Haskell with an extra twist.

When I swim at the lake, I go to a place where there are no restrooms. By the time I get there I've had so much coffee I'll inevitably have to get in or burst a kidney.

Do not try this approach at the pool! :)

For pools being pushed in always helps me.

Great article.

adsollm
March 12th, 2010, 01:01 PM
im going to have to choose 'those darn kids'... though its usually 'stand back or get wet'

im too busy making a general ruckus than to be concerned with such a trivial thing like water temperature

Glider
March 12th, 2010, 04:28 PM
None of the above. I just head for the warm waters of the local Y.

im going to have to choose 'those darn kids'... though its usually 'stand back or get wet'

im too busy making a general ruckus than to be concerned with such a trivial thing like water temperature

spell_me
March 13th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Loved the article! I do the Eddie Haskell slide. I usually have to remind myself that by the time I've done a 50, it'll be all better.

heidi k
March 13th, 2010, 08:52 AM
At meets you are forced to enter with "the slide." I dread it.

Sharpsburger
March 13th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Those Darn Kids, definitely.

I find that if you get your head underwater immediately, it's easier.

I think if you ease in, your body is continually signalling "You can get out, you know!" which makes it worse. But once the head goes under, the body figures "Well, we're in for it now" and adjusts.

ETA: I actually do a kind of low-altitude cannonball, on my back, so that my head gets under as quickly as possible.

I would probably dive in and start swimming right away in order to warm up quickly, but there's no diving at the pool I use now. (Which, btw, is heated to 85 degrees, thank you Jesus.)

gobears
March 13th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I was a "back up for the running start and dive" entry person all through college. Then, in the 90's, USAS really put an emphasis on feet first entries at all times. Now I have to settle for the jump into a dive off the bottom procedure. Definitely not as fun.

I'll NEVER understand the gradual entry!

orca1946
March 13th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Slow enter is slow pain ! At practice a quick dive in & swim right away, at the meets slide in & push off quickly.

Eat more & be cold less :bolt:

__steve__
March 13th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I'm too much of a wimp. If it's cold I just dive in, sprint a 25 to the other side, get out and repeat several times calling it a day. Total yards: about 100