PDA

View Full Version : SwimFest 2010

knelson
March 16th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Just noticed this on the site yesterday: http://www.usms.org/swimfest/

So who all is planning to attend? I'm thinking about it since my parents live in San Diego.

knelson
March 17th, 2010, 11:04 AM
:bump:
Huh, I thought there'd be a little more interest in this...

Ahelee Sue Osborn
March 17th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I think the list of presenting coaches looks quite outstanding.
http://www.usms.org/content/swimfest10coaches

Last year we discussed the fact that the clinic was more of an intro or novice clinic than a true competitive clinic.
But the coaching staff is all different this year except for Kerry O'Brien and he conducts the only "Intensity Camp" for masters swimmers each year in Walnut Creek.
Keep in mind, this is really a clinic to assist USMS coaches to coach and build their programs.

There was talk at convention about a high level masters training camp/clinic similar to the one held several years ago in Colorado being resurected in 2010.

If you are an open water swimmer, come to SwimFest10 on Sunday and plan to attend the Open Water Symposium in Long Beach earlier in the weekend.
Mission Viejo also holds their long course masters meet on Sunday the 6th if you are a pool swimmer with no interest in openwater or triathlon.

Its going to be a great weekend in Southern California for masters swimming!

CLINIC COACHES:
Ronald “Sickie” Marcikic

Founder/Director/Head Coach U C San Diego Masters Sports Program
Coach Marcikic is the Director of the Masters Sports Program and Head Masters Swimming Coach at the University of California, San Diego since 1982. He holds the highest rank, Level 5 Masters Coach, with the American Swimming Coaches Association (ASCA). He has been coaching all levels and ages of swimmers for over 44 years

Laureen Welting

Masters swim coach at The Olympic Club in San Francisco since 2001, coaching both open water and pool swimmers.
Laureen was the U.S. Masters Swimming Coach for World Championships in 2002, New Zealand, and 2004 in Italy. Many of Coach Welting’s swimmers rank in U.S. Masters Swimming Top 10. She has a degree in exercise and sports science. She received the “2008 Pacific Masters Coach of the Year” and “2008 Swimmer of the Year” awards for her work with the TOC’s swimmers.

Tom Boak

Coach and President of Woodlands Masters Swim Team, the 2008 USMS Club of the Year.
Tom is a four-time meet director of USMS National Championships and USMS past president. Many of the Woodland Masters swimmers rank in USMS Top 10 and hold world and national records.

Gary Hall, Sr.

Director and coach of The Race Club.
Gary participated in three Olympics 1968, 1972, 1976; earning two silver medals and a bronze. He was inducted into the International Swimming Hall of Fame as an Honor Swimmer in 1981. Coach Hall held 10 world records, 23 national titles, and 23 American records.

Kerry O’Brien

Head coach, Walnut Creek Masters from 1980 to the present.
Kerry is a level 5 ASCA Masters Coach. He was named U.S. Masters Swimming Coach of the Year in 1987, and Pacific Masters Coach of the Year in 1992. He is also a seven-time U.S. Masters Swimming National Champion in 100/200 Butterfly.

Genadijus Sokolovas, PH.D.

Director of physiology and sport science for USA Swimming from 2000 to 2008.
"Dr. G" has worked with USA Swimming Olympic team in 2000, 2004, and 2008. He has tested and consulted Olympic champions and medalists Michael Phelps, Dara Torres, Natalie Coughlin, Aaron Peirsol, Ryan Lochte, Jason Lezak, Ian Crocker, Rebecca Soni, and many others. He has developed physiological and biomechanical testing methods and databases for swimmers, pentathletes, and other endurance athletes. Testing methods include Lactate Clearance, Swim Power, Land/Water Strength, and Lactate Step Test.

Mickey Murad

Co-Founder of First Wave Swim Academy, Swim Coach for San Diego Tri Club and Assistant Coach with North Coast Aquatics, one of the premier club swim teams in the U.S.
Mickey won three Jr. National titles in distance freestyle events. Mickey attended the University of California, Berkeley and was a world ranked distance swimmer and achieved All-American status.

Matt Macedo

Co-Founder of First Wave Swim Academy and Assistant Coach at UC San Diego
Matt was named Pacific Swimming’s Swimmer of the Year in 1999. He swam for the University of California, Berkeley, where he was a two-time Division I NCAA champion. Matt was also a member of the 2001 World University Games team and a twenty-time All-American.

Frank Marcinkowski

Head coach of Curl Burke Masters
Frank is the architect behind the rapid growth of Curl Burke Masters(CUBU). In 2004, the club had 23 swimmers. Four years later, the club had 400 swimmers. Now, CUBU is the largest team outside of California. In addition to swimmers who excel in the pool, Frank has created an environment where open water swimming and triathlons are emphasized. His team routinely run open water workouts during the warmer months. Frank also lends his expertise to USMS as a member of the Open Water Swimming Committee.

qbrain
March 17th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Last year we discussed the fact that the clinic was more of an intro or novice clinic than a true competitive clinic.

And most of the attendee swimmers were novice competitive swimmers. It will be interesting to see if this is different in 2010.

The changes to the format in 2010 are in some cases interesting and in others very good.

knelson
March 17th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I'm interested in doing a testing session with Dr. G. I wonder when he'll be doing them?

qbrain
March 17th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I'm interested in doing a testing session with Dr. G. I wonder when he'll be doing them?

I bet if you emailed him, he would tell you ;)

pwolf66
March 17th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Too many time zone changes for 2.5 days.

JimRude
March 17th, 2010, 11:18 PM

I'm willing to bet he'll be in Atlanta. I'd email him to confirm:

info@globsport.org

knelson
April 23rd, 2010, 03:27 PM
Bump. Anyone going?

ElaineK
April 23rd, 2010, 03:55 PM
Anyone going?
Ugggghhh! I wish I COULD go! :cry: I'm from San Diego (now in Georgia) and would love to go back. For those who are going, La Jolla is beautiful and I know you will enjoy the area! :D

P.S. I can't go, because I will be on a cruise in Alaska...:D

Ahelee Sue Osborn
April 23rd, 2010, 06:07 PM
SwimFest is going to be a sellout for the coaches.
It is nearly sold-out already.
California alone has nearly 50 attending coaches.

I don't know about attending swimmers.

If you're looking for a clinic for masters swimming - Walnut Creek is over and this is IT!

floswimmer
April 23rd, 2010, 09:31 PM
Just noticed this on the site yesterday: http://www.usms.org/swimfest/

So who all is planning to attend? I'm thinking about it since my parents live in San Diego.
:DAhoy!!!! I plan to attend...just have to finalize the arrangements. I've never been out West; it's not competitive, a great learning experience, and the location.:cheerleader::cheerleader:

debaru
April 23rd, 2010, 10:16 PM
Bump. Anyone going?

I'm attending the Saturday session, which will be a great start to a week-long vacation in my native state. I have family in the San Diego area and grew up in Long Beach, so between the swimming clinic and visiting family, it's definitely a win-win. :)

ElaineK
April 23rd, 2010, 10:22 PM
I'm attending the Saturday session, which will be a great start to a week-long vacation in my native state. I have family in the San Diego area and grew up in Long Beach, so between the swimming clinic and visiting family, it's definitely a win-win. :)

Hey, I grew up in L.B. (1962-1980) then moved to San Diego and lived there from 1980-2004!:D I wish I could join you at the clinic! Sorry I'm going to miss it! :cry:

debaru
April 23rd, 2010, 10:31 PM
Hey, I grew up in L.B. (1962-1980) then moved to San Diego and lived there from 1980-2004!:D I wish I could join you at the clinic! Sorry I'm going to miss it! :cry:

Cool! I don't run across too many people from Long Beach. I was born in Long Beach in 1954 and lived there until 1980. I wonder if we ever crossed paths? I went to Jordan High (1969-1972) and swam on the girls swim team, where did you attend High School?

ElaineK
April 24th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Cool! I don't run across too many people from Long Beach. I was born in Long Beach in 1954 and lived there until 1980. I wonder if we ever crossed paths? I went to Jordan High (1969-1972) and swam on the girls swim team, where did you attend High School?

Lakewood High from 1976-1979. I was on the swim team and volleyball team. My sister went to LHS from 1969-1972, so you two may have crossed paths at some point...

debaru
April 25th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Lakewood High from 1976-1979. I was on the swim team and volleyball team. My sister went to LHS from 1969-1972, so you two may have crossed paths at some point...

Ah, the Lakewood Lancers -- one of our best rivals. Did your sister swim? If she did, I may have raced her. Small world, isn't it?

Okay, how about a little trip down memory lane? One of my favorite memories of Lakewood while growing up was Lakewood Center (http://www.yesterdayla.com/Graphics/lakewoodcenter2.jpg) -- not the enclosed mall it is today, but the totally awesome outdoor shopping center it used to be. It was one of the cool places to hang out when I was a teen. And, I can't forget Wallach's Music City (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dZrQ7-Bdpkk/R0GYmH3-HmI/AAAAAAAAAm0/35FMTCksTjQ/s400/1Wallachs.jpg), which later became a Licorice Pizza (http://cheunderground.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/licoricepizzalogo.jpg). Me and my sisters would head to Wallach's on a regular basis to listen to the latest 45's in their soundproof listening rooms. I'm getting homesick just thinking about all of this.

Growing up in southern California in the fifties and sixties is something I am so very grateful for. Lots of great times and memories to last me a lifetime.

Okay, I'm done hijacking this thread. I'm looking forward to SwimFest and it's too bad you won't be there Elaine. Hopefully, I'll get to meet you some day in the not too distant future. When we do meet, maybe we could swap Long Beach stories while enjoying a brewski. :chug:

ElaineK
April 25th, 2010, 02:20 PM
OK, I was just thinking the same thing: I've highjacked this thread! :bolt:

So, I'll bolt out of here and send you a private message. :D

Ahelee Sue Osborn
June 6th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Here we are in amazing San Diego... wish y'all were here!

Today is the open water segment of SwimFest10.
Venue is the La Jolla Shores which connects to the famous La Jolla Cove.

I've been up and down the SoCal coast between SwimFest, The OpenWater Symposium in Long Beach and today will do it again.
Well, with a stop in Mission Viejo for the LC Meet.

Big swimming in SoCal this weekend.
But the secretaries need to talk to eachother about scheduling next year!!

Hear there will be some great video available from the event. No doubt since Ben Crisstofel is roaming the decks and shore.

Chris Stevenson
June 6th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Nice pics, Ahelee!

Richmond's very own Jay Peluso started a blog about SwimFest (from a coach's perspective):

http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=10830

He should be adding to it in the coming days. Hopefully other attendees can add their experiences either here in this thread, or in Jay's blog or one of their own.

ande
June 6th, 2010, 04:43 PM
toe on the medicine ball leg up in the air push up style
looks like a great way to get hurt

what's happening there
post session notes

pwolf66
June 6th, 2010, 06:41 PM
And can 2011 be somewhere on the East Coast? It's a fantastic event, just wish it was a little closer.

thewookiee
June 6th, 2010, 09:29 PM
And can 2011 be somewhere on the East Coast? It's a fantastic event, just wish it was a little closer.

Since the first year was in the middle(ok, lower middle in texas) this year out west, it makes sense to be on the east coast next year.

tjrpatt
June 6th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Since the first year was in the middle(ok, lower middle in texas) this year out west, it makes sense to be on the east coast next year.

in addition, since the first two were in lower states, the next one needs to be in a higher east coast state as well.

ricochet51
June 7th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Swimfest was an amazingly awesome experience!!! :applaud:
Attending as a swimmer, I can tell you I learned so much and had an wonderful time doing so! The morning rotations were terrific. Being video taped and receiving immediate personal feedback, then being revideo taped was very helpful. Playing with all the FINIS toys was great. With the MP3 player attached, I was smiling from ear to ear! Learning to use the tempo trainer, which seemed impossible at first, was, once I actually got to use it, fantastic. I can't wait to "obey the beep" in future workouts! The dryland training, the starts and turns, and the talk by Gary Hall Sr, were also incredibly valuable. As if that were not enough, the best part for me was the wonderful, helpful on deck coaching. That was really invaluable. I'm sunburned, sore, and so very happy I went to Swimfest! I highly reccomend this to everyone. :cheerleader:

Ahelee Sue Osborn
June 7th, 2010, 04:20 AM
OMG Chris! Your sweet little puppy who looked like you - grew up while I was at SwimFest!

Ahelee Sue Osborn
June 7th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Just home late tonight to beautiful Simi Valley after spending 3 days with some of the most outstanding masters swim coaches in the world at SwimFest10 in San Diego.

There are articles to write, videos to edit, and photos to POST!
I'll do a few here tonight - more tomorrow.

If you couldn't make it to SwimFest10 this year, I'm sorry.

Lets' just say that USMS and it's Club Development group made huge strides in improving last year's model of SwimFest... and there were coaches all around gushing with ideas of how to do it even better next year!

My 2-cents is...

HOW DO WE DO A BETTER JOB AT GETTING LMSCs, CLUBS AND COACHES TO UNDERSTAND THE VALUE OF COACHES EDUCATION? AND ACTUALLY SEND THEIR COACHES TO SWIMFEST & ASCA'S WORLD CLINIC?

Swimmers, I say its up to you.
You pay the club & LMSC fees.
You want better coaching.
Demand it - Support it and you just might get - better coaching.

My LMSC approved 20 travel stipends which literally covered a free weekend to attend the San Diego SwimFest10 Clinic for 1 coach from each of 20 clubs.
7 Clubs sent coaches.
And we are one of the largest LMSCs in the country. And closest LMSC to the hosting LMSC San Diego who sent 1 single coach!

I know I'm a bit of a swim geek, but this is a real frustration...
TOTAL missed opportunity.

There are so many coaches who would do anything to experience this literal swim coach's Disneyland.

Hope I see you - or your coach in Indy for ASCA.

SwimFest10 San Diego Photos:

http://conejo-valley-masters.smugmug.com/Conejo-Valley-Coaches/SwimFest10-San-Diego/12463107_w7t9i#892735864_QbnmV

Chris Stevenson
June 7th, 2010, 11:22 AM
OMG Chris! Your sweet little puppy who looked like you - grew up while I was at SwimFest!

Physically grew up, maybe; he's 1.5 years old now. Mentally/emotionally? I don't know.

Family went out to dinner and came back to a mostly-eaten cantaloupe (including rind and seeds) he had stolen off the kitchen counter. We didn't think he'd be interested in it, silly us...every time we think there are limits to what he'll eat, he proves us wrong.

At least he has a cast-iron stomach.

qbrain
June 7th, 2010, 11:45 AM
HOW DO WE DO A BETTER JOB AT GETTING LMSCs, CLUBS AND COACHES TO UNDERSTAND THE VALUE OF COACHES EDUCATION? AND ACTUALLY SEND THEIR COACHES TO SWIMFEST & ASCA'S WORLD CLINIC?

My coach has been missing the last few days... maybe he was at swimfest?

Ahelee, did you see a guy walking around wearing a qbrain's coach look on his face? The look is a cross between glee and elation, at least when he is in CA and I am in TX :)

aquageek
June 7th, 2010, 11:55 AM
My coach went and send back great reviews. No telling what pain she has in store for us as a result.

debaru
June 9th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Swimfest was an amazingly awesome experience!!! :applaud:
Attending as a swimmer, I can tell you I learned so much and had an wonderful time doing so! The morning rotations were terrific. Being video taped and receiving immediate personal feedback, then being revideo taped was very helpful. Playing with all the FINIS toys was great. With the MP3 player attached, I was smiling from ear to ear! Learning to use the tempo trainer, which seemed impossible at first, was, once I actually got to use it, fantastic. I can't wait to "obey the beep" in future workouts! The dryland training, the starts and turns, and the talk by Gary Hall Sr, were also incredibly valuable. As if that were not enough, the best part for me was the wonderful, helpful on deck coaching. That was really invaluable. I'm sunburned, sore, and so very happy I went to Swimfest! I highly reccomend this to everyone. :cheerleader:
Definitely everything you said, Ricochet51! I too, am so glad I made the trip. What a great experience!
I would like to attend the next one and asked Rob Butcher when and where it will be. He said he's not sure yet, but having regional SwimFests is being considered so that more people will have an opportunity to attend one.
The Butterfly instruction from Gary Hall, Sr. was outstanding. For the first time in my life, I actually swam 25 yards of (real) Butterfly, and I repeated it this morning at the end of my morning workout. :D I made sure to thank him in person after the event was over. In one day, I learned what it would have taken me weeks to accomplish.
A great big thanks to everyone at USMS who made SwimFest '10 happen! :applaud: You people rock!
Here's a link to photos I posted on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47641490@N02/sets/72157624115041961/show/

Chris Stevenson
June 10th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Nice pics, Ahelee!

Richmond's very own Jay Peluso started a blog about SwimFest (from a coach's perspective):

http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=10830

He should be adding to it in the coming days. Hopefully other attendees can add their experiences either here in this thread, or in Jay's blog or one of their own.

:bump:

I strongly advise you check out Jay's blog if you are at all interested in what happened at SwimFest.